Vent in the Stairs below the shoe drawer

farside291

What is this vent for? I noticed yesterday when I was working on the water pump, I can see through the vent to the inside of the RV. This vent is completely open to that area. I noticed a couple of times when the fantastic fan was running I could feel warm air being pulled through the vent. Now I know why. I covered the back side of the grate with plastic film for now to stop the hot air from coming through. When its 105 outside definitely don't need any air leaks! But, what is this vent for?

farside291

Never mind I figured it out. This is the return air for the furnace. But I will keep it covered during the summer to keep out the hot air from the storage compartment.

Westwind

In my Bighorn 3070RL I have that vent and one above the kitchen cabinets. I thought it was a heat vent on the stairs and the return for the furnace was above the sink and cabinets - am I wrong?

farside291

I only have the one vent in the stairs and it connects to the opening behind the UDC. I read here that those vents are for the furnace. Above the vent to the storage area is a heat vent. From the top of the stairs down to floor - heat vent, shoe storage, vent to storage area. I know a lot of heat comes through that vent when I run the fantastic fan in the kitchen and I would imagine in the winter a lot of cold would also come in.

rxbristol

What is this vent for? I noticed yesterday when I was working on the water pump, I can see through the vent to the inside of the RV. This vent is completely open to that area. I noticed a couple of times when the fantastic fan was running I could feel warm air being pulled through the vent. Now I know why. I covered the back side of the grate with plastic film for now to stop the hot air from coming through. When its 105 outside definitely don't need any air leaks! But, what is this vent for?

You may want to send a picture to this thread. It may be a heater vent that's is not connected because in our RV it's a heater vent and the return is above the pantry.

MCTalley

They have the same unit we do. As mentioned earlier in the thread, from top step to bottom: furnace output vent, drawer, furnace intake vent.