Dual rear wheel potential

Bones

I have a question and probably know the answer. With Ford's new 0% I might be able to purchase a f350 dually if it is still on the lot when I get back. How does the dually handle in terms of turning on back roads with load transfer? Does the trailer still push the back end a bit do you feel the weight transfer and so on. Honest answers please and lets keep on topic please. The dually unfortunately is a Ford and I have a dodge. I'm not partial to either one but I already have an investment in the Dodge with my hitch tonneau cover air bags and tinted windows. The wife is not too happy about it. We would loose mula switching and I have looked at the dodges and there is no financing available and they won't deal on price in my area. I'm trying to figure out if I would make a mistake if the weight transfers and shifting are similar.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I went from a SRW to a DRW and noticed a difference the minute I pulled out of the driveway with the Bighorn in tow.
I always felt that my GMC rode and handled good until I bought the RAM.
In my opinion the dually is the way to go.
And I'm always happy to help someone spend their moola.

Peace
Dave

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have a 2012 Ford F350 DRW and love it. Upgraded from a F250 SRW, of course both diesel, and what a marked improvement for hauling. Have a 2013 Key Largo at 40 foot and it trailers like a charm. At this point I feel a DRW is the way to go if you can afford it. Stability and handling on the open roads and highways with loads and speeds. And that is my honest opinion on TOPIC. Also my DW thinks it was one of our better purchase along with Key Largo. If has the DW seal of approval so I am a happy man.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have towed 40+ fifth wheels with both SRW and DRW. Although the single did the job adequately the dually was far and away more stable on gravel/dirt and in cross winds. I definitely would recommend the dually for towing a large fifth wheel. Also we have owned both Dodges and Fords and like the Ford much better...nothing against Dodge though.

MTPockets

We jumped from a 2012 Ford F-350 SRW short bed to a 2013 DRW long bed due to the fact that I was overloaded on the SRW. DRW is much better handling and I don't feel restricted anywhere I go. I'm still kicking myself for the SRW mistake but bit the bullet and am very happy with that move.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just looked at two 2015 Ram Duallies this morning. One Mega and one crew cab. They had almost 8-10 thousand off sticker already. Man they are nice.

IronJ

Same story here...was using my f250srw (upgraded springs /airbags) but the jump to the 420 forced me into a 350 drw.

I have towed the 420 with both and honestly I feel totally comfortable using the srw250 (way overloaded but just under rawr) BUT the difference is significant between the two. The 3.73 gears make for better acceleration and cruizing, the long bed has more room, the drw had a larger std fuel tank, and last but not least the drw has more stability . (Although I have never necessarily felt unstable with the 250 I can def feel the trailer more)

With regards to towing large trailers, I don't see any aspect where a dually is not better. The only real negatives are the rough empty ride, length , and fat butt to watch in tight places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Bones

You can't go wrong with a Ford.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.;)

Funny. I like both ford and Dodge They are comparable.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked at two 2015 Ram Duallies this morning. One Mega and one crew cab. They had almost 8-10 thousand off sticker already. Man they are nice.

Jamie, I like the dodge but I have also had mine in and out of the shop constantly for repairs. They offer discounts online but that is only with all of the available discounts. I talked to a dealership but they didn't want to deal.

GOTTOYS

I traded my Dodge 2500 for a Chev dually. A Ford would have been okay too. There is a huge difference when towing. I had a lot of extras on my Dodge that went with it on the trade, and I really took a beating on the trade in...but it's gone and I'm not sorry. I drive my dually almost everyday and after a couple days to get used to it it's no different than any other truck to drive. Just a little bigger. You won't miss the Dodge....Don

Bones

Same story here...was using my f250srw (upgraded springs /airbags) but the jump to the 420 forced me into a 350 drw.

I have towed the 420 with both and honestly I feel totally comfortable using the srw250 (way overloaded but just under rawr) BUT the difference is significant between the two. The 3.73 gears make for better acceleration and cruizing, the long bed has more room, the drw had a larger std fuel tank, and last but not least the drw has more stability . (Although I have never necessarily felt unstable with the 250 I can def feel the trailer more)

With regards to towing large trailers, I don't see any aspect where a dually is not better. The only real negatives are the rough empty ride, length , and fat butt to watch in tight places.

Yup I'm not over my axles so I am good here too but I came around a corner a bit too quick and boy did that bugger push my rear and squatted it even with the air bags. The wife heard my foul mouth and was asking what was wrong. :cool: So here I am seriously thinking about it.

IronJ

Fwiw I like the rear suspension of the ford better than the dodge while under heavy loads...the 350 with air bags is awesome...if you have a cushioned pin box then it only gets better...

These things are designed to HAUL...so there are some sacrifices if you try and use em as daily drivers but the ride never bothers me, nor the size...

If we road trip without the trailer, it's our bmw x5m all the way...that thing is made for cruising at 80+ ..driving the trucks is like a bumpy school bus roller coaster at 80...lol...kinda scary

Mburtsvt

I moved from a 2011 Ram 3500 dually, (should have kept it - would have gotten most of my money back with the recall - oh well), to a new 2015 F350 dually - BIG DIFFERENCE. Very quiet. Better ride. More power. You will not go wrong with a dually. I still have a single Ram 1500 that we tow a small boat and trailer with. I can tell the difference in cross winds and rough roads.

B

BouseBill

I'll add my 2 cents worth.
Our last two trucks were a 1995 Dodge Cummins 2500 pulling a 31' fifth wheel, then we changed to a 2003 Dodge cumming 3500 SRW, and moved up to a 36' fifth wheel, The Dodge 3500 SRW was at max weights pulling the Big Country. Handling was so so at best at scary in a good cross wind. We started looking for something else to pull the Big Country and found a really low mileage 2008 F-450 in Portland Or. I JUMPED ON THE DEAL. And do not regret it one bit. We have towed in cross winds with the F-450 that would have kept the Dodge SRW parked in an RV park. The wife has no problems driving the F-450 and she is not adverse to taking it anywhere,diesel does not go stale in that vehicle LOL
I love the Cummins engine and would have bought another Dodge or Ram had I found something within a reasonable price. The "95" and "03" will most likely be the last "new" trucks we buy, new are IMHO just way overpriced these days.

jnbhobe

I'm a Ford guy and I've had a few to say the least. The truck I have now is a dually The major differences are rides rougher, more stable, And a lot more power. This one has the wide track front end for better turning and 4.30 gears, no one could tell me the difference between SRW and DRW so I ordered one to see for myself, It was a good choice.

IronJ

I wish I had the wide track but I didn't want the 4.30 rear. ..always feels weird to me towing in 6th gear at 2400rpm...lol...my 250 with 3.55 purrs along at 1500pm..but then 4.30 sure do pull real nice!..

Bohemian

There seems to be a misconception that DRW is expensive. It's only $1,000-$1,500 MSRP more than the equivalent SRW.

IronJ

If even that. ...much like going from a 250 to a 350 is only like 400$...

Usually the only difference is in insurance premiumis!!..lol

IronJ

Well in a ford that's the diff in a exact equal equipped 250-350....

Your mileage may vary!