Microwave Convection Replacement

portliz

Not sure if this is the right place. Move if not.

We have a 2011 3070RL Bighorn. We need to replace our over the range microwave/convection oven. It is a whirlpool - not sure of the model #. It is not vented to the outside. What are our options?

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

We had to replace ours earlier this year and used GE Advantium from Home Depot. Fit perfectly. Just measure the size and match

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We had to replace ours earlier this year and used GE Advantium from Home Depot. Fit perfectly. Just measure the size and match

Any tips on how to get the old microwave convection oven out...we are replacing ours with a GE Profile...not sure where to start on removal??

danemayer

Hi Ken and Kathy,

I think you'll find 2 or 3 bolts on top that screw into the microwave frame. There's also probably a railing mounted on the back wall that a matching rail on the back of the oven sits in. Once the bolts are out, you should be able to lift the oven slightly to disengage from the wall rail.

jbeletti

Kathy - I believe Dan has this right. Terry H has replaced his in his last 2 LMs if you want to give him a shout.

jbeletti

I don't think you have to do any cabinet dis-assembly. Empty that top cabinet and locate the bolts in the cabinet floor. Pretty sure.

danemayer

On ours, I seem to recall a piece of trim along the front edge of the overhead cabinet, just over the oven. If you have that, you may have to gently pry that off.

MCTalley

Make sure you have a direct swap. Standard over-the-range microwaves are 30 inches wide and vary in height. From someone that has replaced the microwave in three different Big Countrys now, the procedure has been:

1. Unplug the microwave.
2. Feel around the floor of the cabinet above the microwave. You should find two or three flat screwheads (typically about 1/2 inch in diameter).
3. Using a stubby Philips screwdriver, start backing out the screws one by one. Have an assistant hold the microwave up (it will eventually want to swing down).
4. With the final screw out, gently lower the front of the microwave down (it will swing down, hinged on the bottom at the wall where it rests on the wall bracket).
5. With an assistant holding the microwave down at an angle, pull the power cord out through the cabinet until it is free.
6. Holding the microwave at about a 45 degree angle, lift it up off the mounting bracket and carry it away safely.
7. Remove the wall bracket from the wall (unless you are absolutely sure the replacement will fit exactly, which probably won't be the case).

To mount a new microwave/convection oven:
1. Most vented microwaves in RVs use a rear-facing vent outlet. Most microwaves are set up for top-facing air flow but allow you to remove, rotate and replace the fan assembly to change it over to rear-facing venting. Do that first.
2. Follow the instructions on mounting the wall bracket in the correct position (template usually provided). You'll have some trial and error finding studs (aluminum, typically) behind the wall to mount the new bracket. (Note that on two of our three trailers, I had to remove mini blinds from the window to allow for the height of the new mounting bracket.)
3. Test the new microwave position by setting the back/bottom edge of the microwave on the bracket and swing it up towards the cabinet. Make sure it will swing all the way up and level.
4. Use the provided template to determine where the top mounting screws need to go through the cabinet floor. Drill those appropriately.
5. Have an assistant help mount the microwave on the wall bracket and slowly swing it up into place, feeding the power cord through the cabinet floor as you go.
6. With the microwave in place, feed each of the top screws through the cabinet floor and screw them into the top of the microwave. It is recommended you lower the microwave a bit so you can see to guide each screw into the appropriate hole before tightening them all down.
7. Plug in microwave and test.

jbeletti

Wow - great write-up Malcolm - thanks for sharing.

Okay Kathy - give this to Ken and get him crackin'!

kakampers

Wow - great write-up Malcolm - thanks for sharing.

Okay Kathy - give this to Ken and get him crackin'!

LOL! I will...Thanks Malcolm, as soon as the microwave shows up. Now to find out how to get the RV fridge out....???

pegmikef

Perfect instructions Malcom as I just had to go through that just before the Carthage, MO rally at the Big Red Barn RV Park where I had Best Buy drop ship my new unit.

Since I didn't have an assistant (and you DO need help!), I added a couple of steps.

1. I put my Yeti cooler on the counter with a pillow to hold the weight of unit as I unscrewed the top.
2. When ready, I hired one of the hands at the park to help remove it, and then come back later to help me install it after I had prepped the new wall bracket and holes and moved the oven's fan to the proper position.

Worked like a champ, but I would emphasize that these units are heavy so make sure you have help removing and installing it.

Last edited:

MCTalley

Couple more tips:

1. If you have a flip-up door above the microwave, grab a fairly full roll of paper towels and stuff it in the opening to hold the door open while you work with the long screws that go down into the microwave from the top (thanks to a fellow HOC member at the Nashville, TN rally that helped me with our current rig's install - forgot who that was).

2. The screws going down into the microwave are long and finely threaded - plan on spending a lot of time removing and replacing the screws during the procedure. A ratcheting screwdriver helps a bit in that regard, though you can usually spin the screws by hand once they are loosened a bit or before they are tightened back down on installation.

Birchwood

Our original micro convection oven wasn't vented to the outside either because it wasn't installed properly.If you remove the oven the upper vents can be turned to vent to the outside.The new one we installed could be vented either direction.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Kathy,

Malcolm's instruction are correct. The first time I replaced the convection oven I had to remove the floor of the cabinet above the microwave to expose the bolts that fasten to the top of the microwave. I also had to drill new holes to install the GE Profile. If you look up the model number of the microwave on the GE web site you will be able to down load a pdf of the microwave manual. Here is the link to search for the manuals.

kakampers

Thanks guys! The Microwave still isn't in yet...BUT...the fridge gets delivered this morning. We are finishing up the prep work right now....so far so good. We will hook up for the water line, but won't be turning it on just yet, except to test it...WAY too cold here for that, unfortunately.

Will post some pics when we're done later today...just won't have the trim finished until BIL comes next week and does it for us..he's a cabinet maker...DH is definitely not a "finish" wood worker...;)