Safety chains

Ks.Kev

I have a question about my 21FBS...... the safety chains are not long enough to do the cross over like I have always done.
On many other trailers like utility trailers and my SOB travel trailer (Ultra lite teardrop 18') I had before had PLENTY of chain!
I ALWAYS have done this and thought this is what you are suppose to do!
When we picked up our 21FBS the service guy was hooking up the TT and he did not do the cross over of the safety chains.
I asked why he didn't, and he said "I don't have to"! Really??
When we got home that's when we noticed even if we wanted to cross them over...... there is not enough chain to do so!
I measured the length of the chains on there now and they are 23" long! We tow with a 2011 Ford F150
SO, Does this make sense? Should they be longer?
Anybody else have a Heartland TT with short chains and don"t cross them over?
I thinks the TT was shorted the length it was suppose to have!
Anyway, look forward to your thoughts and comments!
Thanks!

dewwood

Yes, you should cross the chains. If they are not long enough then get longer ones or lengthen the ones you have. Years ago working for a trucking company I saw rear trailers of a two trailer combination come in riding on the crossed safety chains. The crossed chains work as a basket to catch the tongue and keep it from dropping to the ground which would result in all kinds of disaster.

'Lil Guy'

I had no issue in chain length on my 21FBS for the crossover. I hoped to heck I never needed them but that's what they are there for to catch the unit if it comes undone. The chains are either mounted to far back on your TT are they are to short. If it was me, I'd make it right. Enjoy our TT and have a great day.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been hauling campers and other trailers for over 40 years . . . and have never done the crossover with the chains.

And have never been instructed to do so by the trailer hitch shop that has done most of my installations over the years.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have the 21FBS and I do cross over my chains, the reason, growing up that was the way I was taught.
My chains were plenty long enough for the cross over directly from Heartland to the Dealer.

GOTTOYS

The idea behind crossing the chains is that they will hold the the trailer tongue off the ground if it should come off the hitch ball and support it so it won't dig into the ground. If I'm not mistaken it is the law in MN to cross them...Don

JohnD

The idea behind crossing the chains is that they will hold the the trailer tongue off the ground if it should come off the hitch ball and support it so it won't dig into the ground. If I'm not mistaken it is the law in MN to cross them...Don

I do understand that reasoning . . . and have often wondered about doing that.

However, it seems to me that crossing the chains might cause them to break under stress if in fact the trailer did come loose.

That is just my peabrain mind working, of course . . . :eek:

But, like I said above, I've never had anyone tell me to do that . . . law or otherwise.

Ks.Kev

I looked under the tongue where the chains are welded..... guess they might/could of been welded too far back.
Anyways, I'll take it in and either have them re-welded them in the correct place, or if they are welded in the right place
then make them longer, whichever they recommend to do.
Thanks everyone........

'Lil Guy'

If they're welded, just grind the welds loose and drill holes to reattach in right location and use bolts with heavy washers and nuts to reattach. This will be the easiest fix you'll ever do on your rig.

Tombstonejim

Ks is one of the few states that has no safety chain law same here in Az. Therfore the salesman was correct.

So the issue of chains is what you desire or feel necessary.

http://www.expediter.com/natm%20pdf%20folder/B%20folder/B3%206-State%20Safety%20Chain%20Laws-Table.pdf

The purpose of crossed chains is supossedly to keep the trailer tounge from hitting the ground if it comes uncoupled.

If the chains prevent this even if not crossed then they have done the same thing.

JohnD

Ks is one of the few states that has no safety chain law same here in Az. Therfore the salesman was correct.

So the issue of chains is what you desire or feel necessary.

http://www.expediter.com/natm%20pdf%20folder/B%20folder/B3%206-State%20Safety%20Chain%20Laws-Table.pdf

The purpose of crossed chains is supposedly to keep the trailer tongue from hitting the ground if it comes uncoupled.

If the chains prevent this even if not crossed then they have done the same thing.

Perhaps this is the reason the chains are short . . . because they probably don't need to be crossed to keep the tongue from hitting the ground.

IronJ

And yet if they are too short they can bind in turns ....depending on where they are mounted...

There is no harm or loss of chain holding force by crossing...

Use your best judgement ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

fritzwell

Safety Hitches
Kansas law requires all trailers to have a safety hitch or chain of adequate strength in place to maintain a connection between vehicles if the regular hitch fails.