Propane system problem

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
We used our BH the month of Feb. at Gulf Shores and everything worked fine. Returned to home and put it in storage garage. I closed the valves on both propane bottles. Today I went to check it over before we leave next week on a trip. I opened both propane tank valves and noticed that the red flag in the inspection glass stayed red and would not turn green. I could light a stove burner but it flame was low. I can tell by condensation on the tanks that they are at least 2/3 full. I switched the tanks to the other side and when I opened the tank valves the indicator flag turned green and the stove burner burned fine for about 30 seconds then went very low. I looked at the indicator flag and it was red again. No matter how I have the selector turned the flag stayes red and there appears to be a very low pressure judging by how a burner on the stove lights. The temps have been above freezing for a month now so I do not think the regulator is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sounds like the regulator is "stuck". I kinda remember there being some problems early on with some regulators. May want to do a search here on the forum and see what else is going on. Otherwise a call to the dealer or Heartland may be in order.

check this out //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=4505&highlight=regulator

and this //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1616&highlight=regulator

Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another thing to try. Close both tank valves and remove the hoses from the tanks. Reconnect the hoses and open the valves slowly. Sometimes opening the valves too fast will trigger a safety valve in the tank and shut off the flow of propane.

flyfishing48

Been there done that

I have had this happen to me. I had re-routed a propane line and on startup I had the same issues. I turned off both tank valves and let them off for a few minutes. If you listen closely you can hear a click at the tank valve when you turn it off. If you turn it back on and open the valve too fast you can hear the click again. This is a safety valve in the tank that thinks there is a leak and restricts the flow to a trickle. If you open the valve very slowly you will not hear the click and everything should be fine.
Your issues sounds very much the same as what I had encountered. I would try opening the valve just the smallest amount, then let the pressure build slowly before opening it further.
Good luck:)

Jimmyt5

Someone might chime in here if I am wrong, however, I don't think the selector does anything except point to the one you are using and you do that yourself...it's not automatic.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Jimmyt5,

You are somewhat correct. That fact is that the lever lets you point to the tank you want on, but there is an automatic feature in that if the tank that the lever is pointing to runs empty, therefore no pressure, then it will automatically switch over to the other propane cylinder because there is enough pressure to trip the internal switch, provided the tank valve is open. When this is realized, you then flip the lever over towards the good tank and the remove the empty tank and get it filled.

Mark

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Mark:
That has never worked on mine. The DW can attest to that as we have run out on one tank, in the middle of the night, and the elbow in my ribs was enough to let me know that she was cold and to get up and change the tanks.:(
Fred

Niles

We had this happen to us also, tanks did not switch over in the middle of the night. It's really bad to wake up with frost on your nose. We took it to the dealer and they said the pressure wasn't set right on the auto switch. We will see as we haven't tried it since it was fixed.

vangoes

My switch has never switched over automatically so I assumed it was just a manual switchover regulator/valve. I had an automatic one before and it did not look anything like the ones we have on the BH nor does it look like the ones sold at CW.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Could someone post a picture of what their regulator looks like? The regulator in my old trailer is identical to this one and I don't believe mine is automatic. Maybe I am wrong, would sure like to see a picture.
Thanks
Fred

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Propane Issues

I had the same problems with mine and did as some others have suggested here. that was to remove the hose from regulator and attach it the the tank. Then turn on that tank and can hear it trip the safety valve. After doing that a couple of times I got the hang of how slowly you have to turn it on. I thought I was doing slow enough before doing this way , but found that I was still doing to fast. I guess these valves are really sensitive, although I've never had that problem with my BBQ. The tank valves appear to be the same.

Hope this helps.:)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Propane Regulator

Fred, I'll come back and edit to post a photo of mine when I get back to the Cyclone. I was told that I have an AUTO-SWITCHING model. That being said - Since you would never know when one tankwould go empty - assuming it worked correctly - I've always kept the valve closed on the tank I'm not using, so I will know when I have an empty tank. Then, manually switch it over and refill the empty.

Based on my experiences, and those listed on this thread - although I haven't seen the timer, the tank manufacturers must have designed those things to only run out in the middle of the night! :D

On edit: - this regulator is on the door side

Attachments

• HT 431.jpg
    HT 431.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 50
  • HT 432.jpg
    HT 432.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Solution found

Thanks to all who submitted thoughts on my propane problem. I disconnected the lines from the tanks and connected them and opened the valves very slowly. System seems to be working fine now. Guess I just have to remember to GO SLOW!!!

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Fred, I'll come back and edit to post a photo of mine when I get back to the Cyclone. I was told that I have an AUTO-SWITCHING model. That being said - Since you would never know when one tankwould go empty - assuming it worked correctly - I've always kept the valve closed on the tank I'm not using, so I will know when I have an empty tank. Then, manually switch it over and refill the empty.

Based on my experiences, and those listed on this thread - although I haven't seen the timer, the tank manufacturers must have designed those things to only run out in the middle of the night! :D

On edit: - this regulator is on the door side

Thanks HT:
Well, if that is what the automatic looks like, I don't have one. Mine is just a standard round regulator with the switch to change from one tank to the next. So, guess I'll keep getting up in the middle of the night. :(
Fred

Jimmyt5

Mine is a round one and the way it works is when it is working on the one jug you have a green indicator showing and the black pointer is pointing to the jug in use. When you run out it switches over and the green sight is red. You then turn the black thing to the new jug and the red thing goes green. Then you can unhook the empty and go get filled.

Kashman

Mark Lawrence
Propane Problem

I had the same problem and like others here have suggested, you have to turn on your tank valves super slow. I disconnected the hoses from the regulator and hooked them up to the tanks, then turn on valves and you can hear the safety close if you turn them to fast. This should give you an idea of how slow you have to turn them. Don't know why this happens, I think they are the same valves on my grill and never had a problem with that.:confused: Oh well seems to be working ok now.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thank you jimecampbelluse for the pdf file. I have been going crazy trying to troubleshoot my propane system. I have already replaced a defective hose (the internal check valve in the hose stuck closed and would not allow any flow. I replaced it and got flow. Now it appears the red regulator on the door side is defective. It is an 18 psi regulator and I guess I will have to buy one as the service department at the dealer that checked it out said it was defective but refused to replace it. They said it would not do any good as the run was too long for the pressure. (I guess the engineers at the factory dont know what they are doing LOL) I will call customer service tomorrow to see what they will advise.