Cable runs to Roof for Wi-Fi?

sbhoward

Has anyone run coax from the roof for either wifi or Amateur Radio?

I have a 2015 BC 3650 and want to run into my entertainment center above the TV. Looking for ideas on best practices for bringing cable into the RV for WI-FI. Many years as a computer engineer makes the remainder of project simple, but am nervous about blindly putting holes in new RV.

Sure would be nice if manufacturers started putting in cable runs for us. WI-FI is quite popular now, as is solar, cellular antennas, etc.

Thanks!

etcmss

I put my Wifi booster cable through the vent fan roof in the bath. It Wifi antenna attaches to the crankup TV antenna. The cable then runs through the cabinet above the toilet to the area above the cabinet in the kitchen wall. The booster sits on top of the cabinet so wireless access works throughout trailer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It seems that running cables down along side a vent stack on the roof works well. Find one that is close to the basement.

porthole

Retired
On our rig the TV mounts to a wall that backs to the bathroom. That wall has the vent pipes going up to the roof.
That also means I have a "hollow" between the walls of at least 6" that I can see from a removable panel in the bathroom wall, basement are to the roof.

We recently ran the coax from a rooftop SAT antenna and will shortly be adding WiFi Ranger and cellular antenna cables down the same void.

You can see where we used the vent pipes for a landmark in this picture.

Attachments

• SAT_Trav'ler_antenna_6.jpg
    SAT_Trav'ler_antenna_6.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 144

Bob Vaughn

I put my Wifi booster cable through the vent fan roof in the bath. It Wifi antenna attaches to the crankup TV antenna. The cable then runs through the cabinet above the toilet to the area above the cabinet in the kitchen wall. The booster sits on top of the cabinet so wireless access works throughout trailer.
Which antenna and booster are you using?

sbhoward

Sorry Bob, thought I replied earlier. I have nothing yet, but am looking at the wi-fi ranger. I want to place the equipment in the cabinet above the TV in the living area of the BC. Unfortunately, it's on the slide so I am being very cautious.

I'm a retired Software/Network Engineer so the rest of the job doesn't bother me.