SOLVED - F350 Dually Vibration Issue

rxbristol

The dealership is stumped. My 2014 F-350 Dually two wheel drive has developed a body vibration as the truck hits 60 mph and increases as the speed goes up, but if speed is held even the vibration will come and go. It's not the death wobble. The dealership has ruled out front end, wheels, tires, rotors, and drive shaft/line They are asking Ford engineering for help. No accidents, bumps, hard breaking, etc. Has anyone experienced anything like this. I have 17K miles on the truck. I don't know if the vibration occurs while towing It developed on a trip to MO and has gotten slightly worse. I wonder what happens if Ford cannot find the problem? I have full faith in the dealership--I've been buying cars from them for 17 years and the service manager was my next door neighbor for many of them--one of the few people I would trust with anything I own.

Last edited:

Jim-Lynn

Re: F350 Dually Vibration Issue

Have faith Rex in your dealership. I really believe they will find something. I would have guessed wheels or tires, but the dealer has ruled it out.
Good luck & keep us informed
jim

MTPockets

Motor mount? I know you said you had full faith in your dealer; how did they check the tires/wheel balance? I developed a small, new vibration after swapping front tires left to right & right to left... I had gone way too long without rotating. I ended up buying a new set of six tires and all vibration disappeared.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Just guessing but I would think something like universal joint or drive shaft but you said they checked that. How about a bent axle?

Mrsfish

Motor mount? I know you said you had full faith in your dealer; how did they check the tires/wheel balance? I developed a small, new vibration after swapping front tires left to right & right to left... I had gone way too long without rotating. I ended up buying a new set of six tires and all vibration disappeared.

Even though we are not a dually, we also developed a new vibration right after tire rotating. Tires were starting to cup, something our tire guy (who we've used and trusted for a long time) said they were seeing it a lot on the newer ford trucks. Something about flexing with the tires and the front ends. We were using Michelin TAs and were recommended to go to the MS2s. No problem since.

MCTalley

I'll second the first post. Our rear-wheel-drive Ford dually does that, too. We recently had all the wheels re-balanced at the dealer. Seemed better running solo, but seemed to have returned when hitched.

Wondering if something in the driveline angle? I know it vibrates pretty good on takeoff when hitched, though I understand that's a combination of compressed suspension and axle wrap due to the high torque on takeoff.

rxbristol

I'll second the first post. Our rear-wheel-drive Ford dually does that, too. We recently had all the wheels re-balanced at the dealer. Seemed better running solo, but seemed to have returned when hitched.

Wondering if something in the driveline angle? I know it vibrates pretty good on takeoff when hitched, though I understand that's a combination of compressed suspension and axle wrap due to the high torque on takeoff.

Does your truck vibrate when towing or not towing at the higher speed or does it make a difference?

MCTalley

Does your truck vibrate when towing or not towing at the higher speed or does it make a difference?

Seems to do it more when towing. I haven't been on much of anything over 60 the last couple weeks without the trailer in tow, so I can't say for sure.

gasman

Camp Socializer

What all did they check on the driveline? I would wonder about driveline balance. Maybe lost a weight off the driveline.

rxbristol

What all did they check on the driveline? I would wonder about driveline balance. Maybe lost a weight off the driveline.

They've replaced the driveshaft and tried different wheels/tires--no difference.

JanAndBill

The dealership is stumped. My 2014 F-350 Dually two wheel drive has developed a body vibration as the truck hits 60 mph and increases as the speed goes up, but if speed is held even the vibration will come and go. It's not the death wobble. The dealership has ruled out front end, wheels, tires, rotors, and drive shaft/line They are asking Ford engineering for help. No accidents, bumps, hard breaking, etc. Has anyone experienced anything like this. I have 17K miles on the truck. I don't know if the vibration occurs while towing It developed on a trip to MO and has gotten slightly worse. I wonder what happens if Ford cannot find the problem? I have full faith in the dealership--I've been buying cars from them for 17 years and the service manager was my next door neighbor for many of them--one of the few people I would trust with anything I own.

Question for both you and Malcom, do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the floor/body? If in the steering, then look to the front end. If in the floor, then you'll have to search further. You said it occurred suddenly during a trip. Do you remember anything happening prior to the vibration, hitting a pothole, curb, etc. Did it come on suddenly or grow over time? Did you put a lift kit on or change anything before or after your trip?

Drive line angle can cause vibration, as can incorrect drive line timing, and bad universal joints, but you said they changed out the drive line so I'm assuming they checked that.

You said they changed out rims and tires, did they check the rotors? An out of balance rotor will cause vibration especially as it wears. Wheel/axle bearings could also be a culprit. Especially the rear, since you indicated it was worse when loaded.

Is it possible the vibration you are experiencing is caused by the engine? Torsional vibrations tend to peak at certain speeds. I've seen/heard of bad harmonic dampers. Bad motor mounts can also cause it.

Since you indicate that the vibration is worse during towing, there's a possibility it's differential related. If the newer Fords are like mine, they use a collapsing spacer to set the preload on the pinion bearing. An incorrect preload will cause vibration. Also bad bearings, incorrect preload, improper adjustment, or bad gears in the differential can and do cause vibrations. There is also a possibility of something wrong in the tailshaft off the transmission.

Unfortunately it is something that even an experienced mechanic will have to track down step by step. Sounds like they've already checked the most obvious.

IronJ

Ugg...the only thing I hated tracking down more than electrical gremlins were vibration gremlins when I used to be a mechanic another lifetime ago......

They will find it/fix it.....but the process may take a while

I had a similar issue and it ended up being a tire issue thay only manifested at speed. (The wheel/tire balanced fine)

Please let us know the outcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Apparently there is only one engineer that services the Texas southwest and north central area--looks like a couple of days before he gets here. Waiting........

MCTalley

Ours has come and gone over time. We've got 65k miles on the truck. It's usually minor and speed-related 65-70 ish. Our old 7.3 had actual wheel hop vibration at almost exactly 40 mph as I remember. It was pretty common for that generation of duallies. The 6.0's might do that, too.

In retrospect, I may have thrown a wheel weight on ours. Like I said, it was all balanced before we left to come west a few weeks ago and drove smooth and quiet on the way home from the dealer. The vibration seemed to have crept back in sometime since then. Also, I can feel it both through the seat and the steering wheel.

Another thought - our front bearings had to be repacked and tightened earlier this year. Our right-front brake dug into the rotor before the left wore out. The dealer said the bearing on that side had some slop. Now that I think about it, the vibration I'm feeling now is similar to the loose bearing vibration I was getting earlier this year. Wonder if they need to be checked again?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I would recheck the "drive line angle". Check it both un-hooked and hooked up. If the drive shaft is almost straight at the diff...you have an issue.

JanAndBill

Ours has come and gone over time. We've got 65k miles on the truck. It's usually minor and speed-related 65-70 ish. Our old 7.3 had actual wheel hop vibration at almost exactly 40 mph as I remember. It was pretty common for that generation of duallies. The 6.0's might do that, too.

In retrospect, I may have thrown a wheel weight on ours. Like I said, it was all balanced before we left to come west a few weeks ago and drove smooth and quiet on the way home from the dealer. The vibration seemed to have crept back in sometime since then. Also, I can feel it both through the seat and the steering wheel.

Another thought - our front bearings had to be repacked and tightened earlier this year. Our right-front brake dug into the rotor before the left wore out. The dealer said the bearing on that side had some slop. Now that I think about it, the vibration I'm feeling now is similar to the loose bearing vibration I was getting earlier this year. Wonder if they need to be checked again?

If you're feeling it through the steering wheel, it's probably front end related. Another thing, I had to search for the source of vibration in the steering on our 350. Balanced wheels, still there. Brake pads were still good, and no surging when braking . Finally pulled the rotors, turned them and installed new pads. Problem solved. Rotors can actually be out of balance. Sometimes turning them will help, sometimes you just have to replace the rotor.

rxbristol

SOLVED--F350 Dually Vibration Issue

Well, the Ford dealership brought in an engineer and a computer that hooks up to the truck that monitors the frequency of the vibration and will isolate the cause. It turns out the main vibration was caused by the Ranch Hand brush guard and another vibration caused by a tire. The engineer knew the cause of the vibration before the computer analysis. The dealership's wheel balancing machine calculates the best place to put the wheels on the truck and tire placement on the rim. It's a totally different driving truck—so smooth. They claim the Ranch Hand was on tight. The service manager also looked for cracked support mounts, etc., but did not find any. After rearranging the wheels and tires they wanted to put the brush guard on again to see if the vibration would return,but I'm so impressed with the smoothness of the ride I've decided to leave it off. It's nice to have “Bodacious” back again.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: SOLVED--F350 Dually Vibration Issue

Glad you found the problem. Now you have time to replace the refrigerator!

Bones

Well, the Ford dealership brought in an engineer and a computer that hooks up to the truck that monitors the frequency of the vibration and will isolate the cause. It turns out the main vibration was caused by the Ranch Hand brush guard and another vibration caused by a tire. The engineer knew the cause of the vibration before the computer analysis. The dealership's wheel balancing machine calculates the best place to put the wheels on the truck and tire placement on the rim. It's a totally different driving truck—so smooth. They claim the Ranch Hand was on tight. The service manager also looked for cracked support mounts, etc., but did not find any. After rearranging the wheels and tires they wanted to put the brush guard on again to see if the vibration would return,but I'm so impressed with the smoothness of the ride I've decided to leave it off. It's nice to have “Bodacious” back again.
How much of a vibration was the brush guard causing? That is something I want to add at some point in time. At least they figured out what was happening

rxbristol

How much of a vibration was the brush guard causing? That is something I want to add at some point in time. At least they figured out what was happening

I doubt Ranch Hands cause vibration on all trucks otherwise they would not sell. We had one on a Expedition with no problems. But now that's it's off the dually, not only is the vibration gone, but the truck drives so much smoother at all speeds. I put the brush guard on not long after I bought the truck and it was a rough ride, but I did not think it was related to the brush guard and put Bilstein shocks on, they helped, but not as much as I thought they would. The rough ride seemed to be getting worse and I did not think too much of it until on one long trip the real bad vibration happened (mentioned in my first post). Now that the guard is off it rides more like a F150 with a slightly stiffer rear end, believe it or not which I attribute to the Bilsteins.