5th wheel hitch size ?

I have just ordered a 3600RL BH and its rated at 16,000 lbs GVWR. My current hitch is a 15K RBW little rocker. Do I need a hitch with a higher rating? If I do, what features do I look for and how big should I go? Thanks!

Gene SLOAN
2003 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4x4.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would say to be on the logical side, YES! You could probably get away with a 16K hitch but if it were me I would spend a few more dollars and go for a 20K.

Forrest Fetherolf

I pull my 3600RL with a 16k Husky Slider, can't see any need to go bigger if not required. My 3600RL loaded gross weight is 15900 lbs. Most engineering calculation factor in a 1.5 safety factor. 23000 towing miles and the hitch hasn't broken yet, I'd be more concerned about overloading the TV with any unnecessary weight.

Forrest

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I pull a 3670RL with a 16K Husky. I don't thing I will ever be at the GVWR of the camper.
BIll

Thanks for the quick replies! It appears that since I'm right on the edge, I could get by with my 15K hitch. However, at my age, living on the edge isn't as much fun as it use to be. There is also the liability issue that could come up if there ever was an accident that involved the hitch. My dealer told me he would swap out my 15K RBW for a 20K Kurtz for $400.00. I'm going to take him up on the deal unless I hear from some of you guys that the 20K Kurtz is a bad product. Gene