Brand New Bighorn Owner

baddbrad

Hi-Going from a Jayco travel trailer (34ft) to an Bighorn 3400re 5th. wheel. Any opinions about this model? I never pulled a fiver before, my tow vehicle is an 2007 1-ton crewcab dually(duramax/allison). Any tips before I pick it up next tuesday? Thanks-bb

jbeletti

Brad,

A few tips from me and others will weigh in too:

1. Hitch carefully: Make sure the jaws of the hitch are all the way around the pin. Plug in the electrical cord and put the break-away brake cable around the hitch handle
  2. Consider buying a Bed Save by Blue Ox (Google it)
  3. Extend your mirrors fully
  4. Make wide turns and always watch your mirrors to see what your wheels and the back end of your coach are going to run over or hit
  5. Use a spotter when backing and use walkie talkies
  6. pull far out into intersections before cutting into the turn
  7. Check your tire pressure before you move the trailer each time
  8. Retorque your lug nuts the first few times out
  9. Watch for low hanging tree branches, roof corners on buildings, trees that are next to the road in a CG but arch over the road

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Congratulations

We went from a 27 ft. class C to our Bighorn and had never pull a 5th wheel either. Follow the guidelines Jim mentioned and you will be OK. You have a good truck to pull the trailer. I was suprised at how easy ours is to pull, I guess that is why 5th wheel trailers are so popular. I have found this forum very helpful at times and I would recommend you monitor it.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Brad
we have a 3400rl for nearly 4 years now and we love this floor plan. This coach pulls very good. You should not have any problem pulling with a 1 ton pickup. Heartland has done a great job with a desine for wind flow. You are going to be very happy. Enjoy your new toy!

jimtoo

Looks like the others have covered the basics pretty well. I will just give you a big welcome to the Heartland Owners Family and Forum. Here you will find lots of help and most of the answers when needed. Just enjoy you new trailer and be safe in all things you do.

Check and double check.:D

Jim

I would also like to add always check everything on the camper when you connect or disconnect to TV. If distracted check again. Don't be in a rush if you are you will forget something. It only take's one thing forgotten and your day will not be good.
Wecome to Heartland and to the forum. As I am a recent heartland owner it has been a great way to get answers to your questions.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Brad
Welcome to the Heartland Family. I am sure you will enjoy!
Regards
Wayne

sgtbigb

New 3400 RE

I have 08 3400 RE. Really enjoy the 42 inch TV. Just like home. Hopefully the DVD system has improve with your model, great entertainment when it works. I wish I had the Fireplace option because it very handy on cool days. and 2nd A/C in the bed rm is a most especially in Texas also it is less noisey to run the bed rm A/C in the day time when you trying to watch the Big Screen:) Other the other hints I am:D

sharmulst

Brad
Congratulations and welcome to the Heartland family. We have the 3500RL BH. Just arrived in Wichita, KS and for the past 2 days pulled in a terrible head wind all the way from Mountain View, MO to Carthage, MO and then today from Carthage to Wichita. Other than burning more diesel than usual the pull was great. The winds today were from 24 mph, gusting to 36. There was head wind/crosswind, and the unit was very stable. It was just a drag.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Welcome baddbrad
One of the first things I wanted was the Pressure Pro Monitoring system for the tires and get rid of the Chinese tires.

baddbrad

thanks

I want to thanks all of you for the tips and great welcome!! Supposed to pick up the coach on Tuesday, but up here in upper Michigan we just received 12" of snow!! No spring yet!! thank you'se-bb

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Jim,
Sounds like your suggestions are right out of my playbook. Brad, all his pointers are from my mishaps. Take them seriously, as the 3400RE is almost 39ft end to end. Also remember the back tires do not follow the front exactly. Also behind the back side slides during turns the rear whips and fishtails so be careful or you will end up being called "crash", like someone I know. Any questions PM me as I have the same model.