2015 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 Question

'Lil Guy'

Just purchased this truck. Don't know if I messed up again or not. I didn't get the Aisin trans in it. Apparently I have the same thing that was in my 2500. Anyone having issues towing their big rigs with this setup? I do have the 3.73 gears.
Thanks in advance.

Bones

Just purchased this truck. Don't know if I messed up again or not. I didn't get the Aisin trans in it. Apparently I have the same thing that was in my 2500. Anyone having issues towing their big rigs with this setup? I do have the 3.73 gears.
Thanks in advance.
My 2500 pulls with the 68RFE it does ok but I don't know the difference. I am looking at a truck with the ASIN trans. I have noticed that my tranny does shift really hard sometimes and I mean really really hard So hard that it jerks the truck and camper. What is your doing? you just got that truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Frank, I'm thinking that if if the 68RFE was not up to the task they would not be using it.
The Aisin might be marketed as the best thing around, and it might be, that doesn't mean that the 68RFE will not do the job.
I have not heard any complaints.

Peace
Dave

'Lil Guy'

My 14 2500 shifted fine with the lighter trailer I had (probably 10.5K lbs).My rear end was the 3.42 which I think is standard in the 2500 ram. The trans went out with 16K on it. Just started going into neutral. Being in Kerrville Tx dwith my trailer and knowing I was going to upgrade, I just bout another truck since they said if would be 4 to 6 weeks to fix. A sucker is born everyday. I still think the problem was minor as in electrical. Hoping someone pulling the bigger rigs with the 3500 w/o the Aisin will chime in and make me feel better.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My trucks a little older. But have had no issues with the 68RFE. Right around 15k pound trailer. 3:73 gears.

hoefler

My 08 and my10 both had the 68RFE tranny, never had an issue with either one. Pulled the 40' Landmark very well. I have the Aisin in my 14, it is a better transmission and I can't believe the way it performs. The 68RFE is an excellent transmission and will provide you years of service, just hook up and go.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Thanks in advance.

What are you towing? The Aisin is more heavy duty but the 68RFE is a very proven tranny that has a very good track record. In the real world unless you are towing something really big you might not notice much difference.

Bohemian

The 68RFE is a light duty transmission.

The Aisin is a medium duty transmission.

Chrysler engineers state that the main difference is the Aisin has larger heavier clutches., (A larger more spacious case)

The Aisin also has lower low gears. The same 4th and m6th gears.

The final drive ratio (motor to wheels) for 1st gear with the Aisin with the 3.42 diff is about the same as the 1st gear final drive ratio with the 68RFE and the 4.10 diff.

All this shows up in the towing specs.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Towing-Specifications?highlight=towing+specs

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Just a guess, but I would relate the 68RFE trans to a GM 400 turbo. Tough and almost bullet proof. If you get the Duramax engine in a GM HD truck, it comes with the Allison...period. There have been rumors that Allison helped design the Aisin trans. If I bought a Ram, it would without a doubt have the Aisin trans. JMHO

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have had 3 different trucks over the last 10 years. The 2005 Ram 2500 did not have the Aisin transmission, shifted very hard but could pull the lighter Sundance and Big County 5th wheels ok. We wanted to add a jake brake aftermarket onto the '05 but the tranny wasn't geared where it could be added on. Got an 2009 SRW 3500 Ram with the Aisin tranny and what a huge difference it had in both towing and shifting. Much smoother in shifting thru the gears. This one came standard with the jake brake system. As we have moved up in campers both in length and weight, we now have a 2014 Ram 3500 dually with the Aisin tranny. Other than parking in the back forty, it's a nice truck.

GOTTOYS

The Aisin was only available in the H.D. cab and chassis models until 2013 I believe. Prior to that the 68RFE was the only transmission available in a pickup. I had a 68RFE in my 2010 Ram Cummins with the 3:73 rear. In 94,000 miles I never had a bit of trouble with it except for an occasional harsh shift. Can't say that for the rest of the truck unfortunately.....Don

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the replies. Fweel a little better now. Heck, the way I'm changing rigs and trucks, replacing the trans shouldn't be an issue.lool Thanks for the replies.

Gaffer

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the year of your 2500. If it was a 4 speed then you have a much better tranny now. No worries.

Bohemian

Just a guess, but I would relate the 68RFE trans to a GM 400 turbo. Tough and almost bullet proof. If you get the Duramax engine in a GM HD truck, it comes with the Allison...period. There have been rumors that Allison helped design the Aisin trans. If I bought a Ram, it would without a doubt have the Aisin trans. JMHO

Aisin partnered with Borg-Warner, then later purchased the transmission division.

Burnsze15

Been running a triple axle 19.5k Toyhauler with my '14 3500 DRW. 4.10s and the 68rfe. Once in a great while I get a hard shift but temperatures even in traffic on a 90 degree humid day stay cool. The cooler does a great job. Knock on wood no problems. I am happy I got the 4.10s though. I don't use it as a daily driver though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
My 2008 2500HD has the 6 speed 68RFE transmission. It is still as smooth today as it was brand new, and I now have 123,000 miles on the odometer. One thing I have done without fail is to flush the transmission every 25K. This might be overkill but it is working for me. I tow my BC which is close to 16K LBS and as you can tell by my mileage, we get around ... a lot!

whp4262

If it really bothers you maybe you could exchange trucks if it's new for a little extra cash but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 68RFE if you don't want to spend the money. Your 5th wheel should be well within the 68RFE's capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk