Exhaust Fan Question.

GregBassine

Hello All,

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3260EL. Went camping this past week and weather was extremely hot. Arrived in afternoon, so air conditioner wasn't able to keep up with the heat to cool the interior. Bottom line it was really hot inside. Started to cook dinner using the microwave and noticed hot air coming out of the left side of the microwave (between the microwave and the cabinet insert - see photo).

The next morning we turned on the fan (on the microwave), went outside and noticed very little air coming out the exhaust flap vent (see photo) and air was still coming from the side of the microwave inside the RV.

Is there a flap on the inside of the exterior exhaust vent? Is it possible the flap could be stuck almost shut? Is there a way to do maintenance on the outside exhaust flap vent?

Is the microwave vented at all?

Sorry for all the questions, but I can't find anything about the exterior vent. Any feedback anyone can share would (as always) sure be appreciated.

2014 Bighorn 3260EL - Microwave Exhaust - Photo 1.jpg2014 Bighorn 3260EL - Exterior Exhaust Vent - Photo 1.jpg

MTPockets

Microwaves are designed to vent either inside or out. Could be It was not directed properly during installation.

Lynn1130

I would think that if there is a flap vent it should be venting to the outside and it was not set up properly. It depends upon you as to whether you want to take it in to have it looked at or pull the microwave yourself and see what is happening. If I had nothing else on the repair list I would probably look at it myself before I took it in to have it sit for days before the shop could get to it.

GregBassine

Thanks for the reply. Ours is also a convection oven. I would imagine it would get pretty hot if we were (for example) cooking a roast or something. Would it be safe for it to just vent inside, and if so, wouldn't that bring a lot of heat inside the RV?

Lynn1130

Heat inside-yes alot. Plus the moisture and odor. I would want it venting outside if it is supposed to be setup that way.

Oregon_Camper

You will need to open the flap by releasing the 2 locking buttons. Then, before leaving, lock them again.

This is a huge PITA, but the concept (I think) is you need to lock is back down to avoid wind damage while driving.

avvidclif

That flap is meant to be open when using the ventahood or microwave. It's where the hot air gets out. The microwave is pressurizing the exhaust system therefore the air leak, no place for the air to go. That flap is such a pleasure to open and close that mine stays open all the time. Plus it's abt 10' up the side of the RV.

GregBassine

Wow! Is there somewhere where I can go to find out how to release the 2 locking buttons? How in the heck (without a ladder which I don't have) are we supposed to reach the vent? And finally, why would a vent be designed such that you manually need to open it every time you take the rig out? OK, not finally, one more question: Do we need to do something special with the vent when winterizing?

MTPockets

Wow! Is there somewhere where I can go to find out how to release the 2 locking buttons? How in the heck (without a ladder which I don't have) are we supposed to reach the vent? And finally, why would a vent be designed such that you manually need to open it every time you take the rig out? OK, not finally, one more question: Do we need to do something special with the vent when winterizing?
We're lucky to have a model that we can reach our flap standing on our entry door step. Others(most) are not that lucky. Obviously a poor design but it is either a ladder or use a pole to pull the latch down to open and push it up to close. PS, I should say "I" can reach it as my wife is a bit too short.

danemayer

You have to press pretty hard on the buttons to get them to release. I don't have that design, but if I remember correctly, you press up to release them.

I would suggest that you NOT operate the convection oven without opening the vent. As a safeguard, these ovens have one or more over-temperature sensors that will permanently open if the oven gets too hot - on the assumption that a fire has started inside the oven. That sensor is in the main power circuit so the oven will be completely dead after it does its job.

A new sensor costs about $2 plus $15 shipping plus $100 or so for someone to install it for you. I replaced the sensor on our Amana unit last Fall. It's not easy.

Btw, those of you with failed Highpointe ovens: I've been wondering if any of you forgot to open the vent.

Opening and closing the vent on our unit requires a step ladder that I carry in the back of the truck. I use it for other things and find it's pretty useful.

GregBassine

Thanks for the info. I love this user group!!! Next question, do I need to close the vent when traveling (if so, how)? What about winterizing, do I need to close it for the Winter?

Greg

danemayer

Thanks for the info. I love this user group!!! Next question, do I need to close the vent when traveling (if so, how)? What about winterizing, do I need to close it for the Winter?

Greg

It should snap closed, probably easier than it opened and I'd think you'd want it closed during the winter.

As for traveling, maybe some of the people who have that type can comment on what they do.

osims

bsims
I carry a ladder with us and open the vent when we get to campground and close it before we leave. I leave the ladder under the trailer so I won't forget to close it, and yes it's harder to open than the old style.

GregBassine

Thank you everyone! Got a ladder, pushed on both tabs to the point I thought something would break... pushed just a tad harder and viola.... it opened... I am really surprised that with the potential danger ramifications associated with operating vented appliances with the vents closed... that the dealer we bought it from (Curtis Trailers in Hillsboro Oregon) or Heartland itself doesn't make a concerted effort to let us know why and about opening the vent. There are exactly zero references to the vent or to the microwave with respect to the vent in any manual I received with the RV when we purchased it new. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks again everyone.

Greg

avvidclif

I stand corrected. From the ground to the bottom of the vent is 113", it's not 10' only 9'5". Once I got it open I have left it open, even traveling but we haven't gone on any long trips yet. Our RV is always plugged in and I never know when someone is going to run some popcorn thru the microwave. The RV is our hideout.

pegmikef

I opened that flap on my 2014 two years ago last month and it has been open ever since (initially I just forgot to close it) and this forum reminded me about it after a few months and I checked. It was just fine and basically stays closed (unless the vent fan is on) as the wind doesn't seem to affect it and 19K miles later it is just fine. This is a lot better vent than the old style I had on my North Trail. I left that one open, towed about 400 miles and when I set up, the vent flap had broken off and was gone.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have had the flap on our 2013 Big Horn opened for two years and now on our 2015 landmark for over a year and never closed them. Never had a problem at all.

Rod

Oregon_Camper

....I am really surprised that with the potential danger ramifications associated with operating vented appliances with the vents closed... that the dealer we bought it from (Curtis Trailers in Hillsboro Oregon)....

I'm not surprised one bit. Their reputation for service is on par with Camping World....which is VERY low.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We lost our flap the second time we traveled with our rig. Since replacing it everything has been good even leaving it open.