Wheel Chock in Torque 321

redharleymn

We just purchased a 2014 Torque 321 with a 12' garage. Can we drill holes into the floor to install a wheel chock for a motorcycle?

jimtoo

Hi redharleymn,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you can, but I will let our experts that have done this give you some great advice.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The flooring material in the garage is 3/4" plywood. Yes you can drill holes, but there is a lot of metal framing below the floor that supports the plywood. You also have to be aware of the 30 gallon fuel tank and spare tire that is below the garage floor if you are installing a recessed wheel chock.

MurrayN.

I also have a Torque 321 on order from the factory having just traded up from a Sundance 3300RLB. So AJJONES, if a person is using a surface mount wheel chock made of 3/16" material, and the rubber mat material is at least another 1/8", and the decking underneath is 3/4", then a person should be able to use a 1 1/4" self tap lag bolt to fasten this down almost anywhere and not have to worry about putting a hole in any tanks under the floor? Then use the supplied D-rings to hold the bike secure. Thanks.

porthole

Retired
The flooring material in the garage is 3/4" plywood. Yes you can drill holes, but there is a lot of metal framing below the floor that supports the plywood. You also have to be aware of the 30 gallon fuel tank and spare tire that is below the garage floor if you are installing a recessed wheel chock.

No longer 2 layers of 3/4" ?

- - - Updated - - -

We just purchased a 2014 Torque 321 with a 12' garage. Can we drill holes into the floor to install a wheel chock for a motorcycle?

I now use Condor wheel chocks. I was using Bike Pro's chock which bolted down to a plate that was bolted down to the floor.
Since switching to the Condors I no longer bolt the chock down.

Depending where in the garage I place the chock, I usually just place a piece of wood in front of the chock and door frame.
The chock does a great job of holding the bike upright. The straps and my tie downs keep the bike stationary.
I have over 30,000 miles towing the Cyclone now, and I would guess at least 25K of that hauling the bike.

I use this version, in the trailer and my house garage. I keep the bike in the chock at home to keep it upright, a little more walk around room.

http://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-Motorcycle-Wheel-Chock-Chocks/dp/B001O4CIHY

whp4262

I use a wheel chock from J&S Jacks, it's a little spendy but a well built set up. The J&S wheel chock uses carriage bolts with a threaded hole drilled in the head to attach the wheel chock. So when you take it out the only thing left behind is the heads of 4 carriage bolts. I determined the basic location that the bolts would be located to make sure they would miss the structure underneath and then I drilled a pilot hole with a very small bit just long enough to go through the floor leaving the bit in place. Then I got underneath, located the bit tip and verified the location would work. I drilled the other 3 holes the same way and once satisfied I drilled the 1/2" holes for the mounting bolts. If the location hadn't worked I would have had little pilot holes that were not noticeable from the inside and I could have sealed them underneath with a little spot of sealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redharleymn

Re: New member and Torque 321 owners

We just purchased a 2014 Torque 321 and are really excited about this purchase. Does anyone have a wheel chock installed in the garage. We have a Harley and am really looking for some advice on how to tie it down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jimtoo

Re: New member and Torque 321 owners

Hi redharleymn,

I moved your recent post to the first thread where you ask the same question. Looks like you got some recommendations.

Jim M

redharleymn

Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. I will let you know what I do. We're really excited about the Torque. We do motorcycle shows for a living and having our own "home" (instead of hotels) will be great!

Also, I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. Should I add "air bags"?

avvidclif

Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. I will let you know what I do. We're really excited about the Torque. We do motorcycle shows for a living and having our own "home" (instead of hotels) will be great!

Also, I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. Should I add "air bags"?

Check the payload/RAWR on your Ram. On another post here a 321 had almost 3400 lbs on the pin which I doubt any 3/4T could handle.

redharleymn

Check the payload/RAWR on your Ram. On another post here a 321 had almost 3400 lbs on the pin which I doubt any 3/4T could handle.

I just checked the payload on my Ram, 2380. Shouldn't it help if I add the air bags. I'm looking at AirLift 5000lbs.

avvidclif

2380 minus hitch (200 lbs), fuel, passengers, and anything else you have in the back of the truck. Look at the tries and see what they are rated for. You already know the springs are not up to it. Weigh your truck for a true picture.

redharleymn

2380 minus hitch (200 lbs), fuel, passengers, and anything else you have in the back of the truck. Look at the tries and see what they are rated for. You already know the springs are not up to it. Weigh your truck for a true picture.
- I really appreciate your feedback / comments.

One of the frustrating experiences with purchasing a Toy Hauler is who to believe. We spent 3 years making this purchase. Almost all the RV dealers say "Your truck will tow anything". Well, I guess that's not true.

I'm going to do whatever it takes to make this purchase work (except buy a new truck). We really like the Torque!

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I'm true we will have more questions.....

avvidclif

And I didn't mean it the way you took it. It was meant to be a fun thing, note the smiley. You will get lots of help, just ask. Maybe if your ever go east we can meet up and swap lies and adult beverages. Enjoy your trailer I'm liking mine better every day.