Olevia TV Issue - Black Bars

stevebotts

While watching our television, a black box will appear on the screen. We do not know what causes this. It is very intermittent. Sometimes we can watch all evening with no black box. Sometimes for just a few minutes and the black box appears. Has anyone else had this problem and how do we make this stop happening?

jbeletti

While watching our television, a black box will appear on the screen. We do not know what causes this. It is very intermittent. Sometimes we can watch all evening with no black box. Sometimes for just a few minutes and the black box appears. Has anyone else had this problem and how do we make this stop happening?

Steve,

What I think you are seeing is Letterboxing and it is normal. Here's a link and an excerpt to a Wikipedia article on it:

"Letterboxing is the practice of transferring widescreen film to video formats while preserving the film's original aspect ratio. Since the video display often has a square aspect ratio, the resulting videographic image has mattes (black bars) above and below it; LTBX is the identifying acronym for films and images so formatted."

In short, your TV is wide-screen in format with an aspect ratio if 16 units wide by 9 units tall - long rectangle. The format for what was standard television aspect ratio was 4 units wide by 3 units tall - almost square.

When you are watching a channel that is broadcasting some content in a wide-screen format, it will usually fill the screen. When they cut to a commercial or another show that was created in a standard format, you will usually see a black bar (matting) on the sides of the screen.

Hope this is what your issue is as it is a "non-problem". If not, please give us more information and we will take another stab at it.

jbeletti

Alrighty then! I think I guessed wrong. After Googling "Olevia black box screen", I have a new answer for you.

There is a "Closed Captioning" (CC) setting that you may have switched on or it may have been a default setting. While I cannot explain which menu buttons to hit to turn all CC modes off, I think this is your issue.

Break out the Olevia manual, find the CC section, get it turned off. Best of luck and let us know.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yeah Jim...that's what it is...had the same problem when we first got our Bighorn. Took awhile to find out how to turn off the CC though...the menu on the Olevia can be hard to figure out!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
To get to the CC feature on the 3400.
1. Press the menu button on the right side of the remote control.
2. Scroll with the arrow buttons around the enter key until you see the tool box.
3. Press the right arrow key. If you do not see the Close Caption selection use the up or down arrow key until you see the CC box.

GaryB

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it appears to have settled down.

Since Jim brought up the "Letterboxing" issue, I have a related question about "Pan & Scan". While ordering some DVDs tonight to keep us entertained when without cable, I noticed one DVD is stated to come in "Pan & Scan" format with 1.33.1 aspect ratio. Will this result in excess cropping when played on the 26" Jensen LCD TV that now comes in the BigHorns?

Thanks!

stevebotts

I have not been able to find the way to TURN OFF the closed caption completely. When the box appears we go to the closed caption section of the menu and scroll through the options until we find t1 or t2 and then select and the box does go away. BUT, sooner or later, (sometimes days go by) the box comes back. Any help on how to get rid of this once and for all?

marilymar

We cannot seem to figure out how to watch a DVD on the TV. Our DVD/CD player is one unit and we can get sound, but no picture. Tried everything. Ready to call the manufacturer. The manuals provide give no clue! Totally frustrating!

Jimmyt5

If your getting sound off of the overhead speakers you need to change the input to TV , look on remote for source or input then go trough them till you see a picture.
If you are getting sound trough the TV then check to make sure the RCA cable, normally has yellow end on it is plugged into TV..

Jim