Issue with surge protector and gfi circuit

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
Recently I've been having problems with my "Progressive Smart Surge" protector SSP-50 conflicting with my onboard GFI outlets where half the 50 amp leg goes out leaving only those non GFI protected outlets working. My brother who is an electrician says that the Progressive system is acting like a GFI and "fighting" with the on board GFI shutting down GFI protected outlets. Basically I then have to unplug my progressive surge protector from the pedestal and turn off the 50 amp breaker and then turn the pedestal breaker back on and the system works again. I recently ran into a friend who is a full-time RVer who is having the same exact problem. He sent his Progressive EMS back to the factory for repairs and had it return but the problem still exists. Has anyone had a similar problem and what was your fix if any? Is it something on board my coach or is it the pedestal search protector that I purchased the problem? I don't want to go without a pedestal search protector to protect my coach's electrical system.

danemayer

If Im following, one leg of your 50 amp service stops working and the theory is that the Progressive device is shutting down one leg only. The leg that shuts down is the one supplying power to the GFI circuit, leading you to think that there's some type of GFI conflict.

You didn't say, but I assume that the GFI in the bathroom is not tripping and no breakers are tripping.

I would call Progressive and ask them if the SSP-50 device is capable of turning off one leg at a time. I'd guess if it detects a power problem, it shuts down both legs. That's how our EMS-PT50C device works. If there's a problem, for example low voltage on L2, the device cuts power completely and then restarts automatically when power gets back to normal.

So if the SSP-50 is where the power loss is occurring, I'd think it was a defective SSP-50.

Has this happened at more than one pedestal? The problem could be at the pedestal breaker.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What are the indicator lights telling you? The manual for that device does not specify if it will only shut down one leg of the incoming power if it detects a problem.

Gaffer

I think your brother has offered an opinion without being all that familiar with what the Progressive unit can and can not do.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I wonder if the 50 amp breaker in the pedestal is failing or defective. If you have to shut off the breaker and reset it to get your surge protector to reset. What else is affected on 50A leg when it goes out?

The breaker may test fine with little to no load but starting to fail when some load is placed on it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is a contactor in the Smart Surge it will open and close L1, L2 and neutral all at the same time.
I also do not believe that the Smart Surge has GFI capabilities so there should not be a conflict.

Peace
Dave

teasac69

Call the number on the device and if you don't get him, ask for Donald at Progressive. He is very knowledgeable and patient with your problems. I've even asked him non Progressive questions before and he was willing to throw in his opinion. I use the EMS-PT50C and don't have those issues. wondering if it the surge protection device vrs EMS??? sounds defective to me?? ?