attaching items to interior walls

jlivet

How do you attach things like TP holder, clocks,towel racks,paper towel holder to the so thin walls of your camper? As thin as they feel I can see just a little bump and it looks like they would tear out.

SmokeyBare

I found at Lowe's or Home Depot a short wall anchor made of metal.

I find these to do the job well. I picked out the short ones... as the interior walls are thin.

Attachments

• Hollow wall anchor.jpg
    Hollow wall anchor.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 397

sjrellis

I've used those little 3-M doo-hickey's that stick and you can remove without leaving any residue. Also, I've used that tacky putty stuff to hold light items.

Tom of Ypsi

We use the 3M Command stris also. We have pictures on the walls and leave them up while traveling fulltime and have not had a failure yet.

SmokeyBare

The Question was about....

Hanging things like TP holder, clocks,towel racks,paper towel holder to the thin walls...

I took that as hanging something heavy and often pulled on... pushed down on... or often grabbed to.... I'd want something more than velcro or 3-M command strips to do those tasks...

Marv

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
The Toggle bolt that Smokey Bear mentioned is as permanent as you will find and should work for heavier items or those items that are pulled on. The walls are thin and I guess I could pull one out if I wanted too but they should hold anything within reason. We also Use the command Strips for most stuff and I have our clock mounted with Velcro and so far no problem. Anything too heavy for this to hold and you will have to find a stud and mount to it. I do give the clock a push when ever we start to leave out to make sure it is tight.

Don

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing to think about. Regardless if you use the command strips, toggle bolts in the wall or whatever when you are driving the trailer will bounce and I have had a picture bounce hard enough that it came off the hook.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
The putty is intended to tack the picture to the wall so it won’t bounce of the hook or what ever is the primary hanging device.
<o:p> </o:p>
It also depends what your tying to hang. We have a picture frame that my grandkids made and is normally meant to set on a table or shelf. The material the frame is made of does not hold very well to the tacky putty, but it does not have glass in the frame.
<o:p> </o:p>
All of the other pictures stay on the wall so far. Nothing is certain but the command strips and tacky putty seem to work pretty well.
<o:p></o:p>

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing to think about. Regardless if you use the command strips, toggle bolts in the wall or whatever when you are driving the trailer will bounce and I have had a picture bounce hard enough that it came off the hook.

The putty is intended to tack the picture to the wall so it won’t bounce off the hook or what ever is the primary hanging device.

It also depends what your tying to hang. We have a picture frame that my grandkids made and is normally meant to set on a table or shelf. The material the frame is made of does not hold very well to the tacky putty, but it does not have glass in the frame.

All of the other pictures stay on the wall so far. Nothing is certain but the command strips and tacky putty seem to work pretty well.

Last edited:

dkrajicek

What do you use to mount something heavy, like an over the toilet cabinet, to an exterior wall. I believe this wall consists of 1/4 inch of luann, with wallpaper on it, with a couple inches of styrofoam behind the luann.

twohappycampers

I've always had good luck with the Command hooks before. On these walls, after a few months, they pull the paper away from the backing, creating a bubble and the hooks fall off, and now there's this big bubble on the wall. I had a large hook with just a robe hanging from it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depending on the layout, you may find wood framing around the perimeter of the wall behind the toilet. If your cabinet spans the space, secure it to that. If it's smaller, you may have to attach a piece of wood or plywood (stained or painted to taste) to span the framing, and attach the cabinet to that.