ATF: Road Warrior - Bed platform framing on Heartland products

szewczyk_john

Are all bed platform frames made the same way across the entire product line?
The reason for this questions is that I was prepping for an upcoming trip. I plopped myself down on the bed and heard the sound of cracking wood. Off came the mattress and the 1/2 inch press board that the mattress sits on. I was surprised to see that the framing was nothing more than a bunch of 1x2s butt joined together with staples. Because of the location of the bed platform within the slide out walls and the ram mechanism, my only option was to install 90 degree angles above the butt joint with wood screws. I didn't have my phone or camera, so I don't have any pictures, but this happened where the pieces inside the slide out connect to the frame that holds the lower portion of the mattress (the piece that rolls with the slide out). In my case the staples were pulled out of the lower mattress side of the butt joint and the cracking noise was the piece of paneling used to cover the frame.

My question is why don't the factories use flat angle supports along the sides of these butt joints for added strength before the platforms are installed? I opted for 1 inch wide supports that sit on the top of and/or bottom of your 1x2s. They were easier to screw together that way. I hope this fix works because if it doesn't then I'll be forced to remove the entire platform for the bed and repair it out of the trailer. I have to say that I am shocked that this does not happen to more owners given the fact that most beds hold two adults, and you think that 2 staples per butt joint are enough to hold them together?

On the bright side, since the mattress was off, I finally put down the floor tiles and that does allow the mattress to slide around a lot better for making the bed.