What are you pulling your Bighorn with...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is mainly for those that are pulling a Bighorn. Anyone else may post but I am mainly interested in the Bighorn because of it's size.

I was wondering what TV was mainly being used to pull a Bighorn.
Here is what I am using:
2006 Ford F250 6.0 PSD, 4WD, LB, SRW, B&W Hitch.
TV is stock. No chip, no bags, 45 gal Combo Aux Tank/Tool Box

Bighorn 3400RE:
Stock. No change in Pin Box.

Future Plans:
I plan to change out the brakes to Disk and Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension System. We are Fulltime and I think this will be a good addition to the Bighorn.

I would like to add the Big Foot leveling system but will have to be something to add down the road.

I am looking for ideas and information. Please no flaming or negative post. Just tell us what your have and what you are interested in doing in the future

Thank you
BC

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
I pull a BH 3670RL with a Dodge 2500. I get better fuel milage with the BH than I did with my other 32ft 5er. You should not have a problem with the 3400.

Bill

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks Bill
I was not so much concerned about pulling my Bighorn. I can tell it is back there especially when I run into some wind. Have not pulled in any mountain climb or decents yet.

I am just curious as to what every one that is pulling a Bighorn is using, what they have done to the TV or 5er, and what they may do in the future..

Thanks for the reply..

j4key1

Tow Vehicle

Have 2008 Bh 3400rl, Towing With 2003 Gmc, One Ton, Dually, 6.6l Duramax Diesel, Stock, 4x4, Allison Trans, Reg Bed.. Want New Air Bags Or Hd Shocks , Maybe Chip But Not Enough Info Yet. Very Happy With My Gmc.

jbeletti

Hi Bob,

You can take your flame suit off. I trust that you'll find no flames here on the Heartland Owners Forum. Around here, trust and respect are valued and I trust that you'll be treated well and I hope you'll get some great input as well. And if there is a flare up, water will be applied :) Thanks Bob.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We pull with a Chevy C4500, Kodiak Topkick. We are towing a 3600RL.

We had a dodge 1-ton dually diesel, prior to buying the Bighorn, but occasionally felt we were being "pushed" somewhat when braking with Holiday Rambler behind it. We decided to upgrade the truck due to it's size and it's really wide stance...it gives a really stable towing platform, and we don't know the Bighorn is behind us!

Delaine and Lindy

Hi Bob, just a comment about two, the Mor/Ryde disk brakes, I had them installed on another 5er we had and it was the best Mod we have ever made to any of our 5th wheels. I had the Mor/Ryde RE suspension but I should have changed to the Mor/Ryde independent suspension. The 5th wheel we were towing weight more than the BH weights. I didn't have any problem towing with our 2005 Chevy 3500 1 ton up or down the mountains thru out Colorado had some long down hill runs and didn't have disk brakes at the time. The Disk brakes we had would stop the Truck and Trailer without using the OEM brakes. If we in the future do go with Disk brakes I will also change the suspension to the Mor/Ryde independent suspension... Good Luck with your choices... GBY....

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
My signature says it all about my TV. I have never had any issues towing. We came down IH 70 into Denver, which at times is an 8% grade. Between the Allison downshifting and the occasional light touch on the brakes, it came down at a reasonable speed and never felt pushed by the Bighorn, nor was I apprehensive or stressed coming down out of the mountains.
Fred

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Bob,
I'm pulling my BH 3055RL with a 2002 GMC 2500. I added an Edge chip soon after buying the truck and love it! I still get 20 MPG bobtailing and between 10-12 pulling the trailer.

I would also like to have the Bigfoot leveling system, but Lippert will void the frame warranty if we do.....

Niles

We pull our 3670 with a 3500 Dodge, 6.7L Cummins with the standard jake brake it does a great job no mods and I don't see any in the future. Sometimes they do it right and I feel Dodge has. You can see by our signature that we do tend to take it all. The BH we have put a swing arm in for the tv in the bedroom with a added shelf below it for our vcr dvd player also added a water softener to the system and put some brackets in the lower storage to organize our stuff below, got tried of throwing everything in and then the thing you want is on bottom. We also added a shelf in the cabinet next to the half time oven, wife wanted to be able to stack more stuff, like we need it.:eek:

jnbhobe

I have three TV's 97 F-250 460/4:10 gears works good 03&07 F-350 CC SB 6.0 torque-shift towed SOB 5er well, now we have BH3370 only towed with 07 but works great, Tow haul is great on the downhill.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks to all who have posted. This is type of information I am looking for.

We had a 30ft 5er when we started fulltiming. Found out that it was to small for us to live in and was not built good enough to take the fulltime use. DW and I talked about buying another 5er but did not want to go to a larger TV. We had been looking at the Titanium and Bighorn. We felt the Titanium was a good trailer but getting to a dealer would be a lot harder. The Bighorn weights were within the limits of my F250. I felt that the 3580RL, 3600RE, 3600RL and 3670RL at 16k was a little over the edge for a F250.

I wanted to draw from those that have a rig similar to what I have and each of you are adding to my knowledge about my rig. Jayc is an example, I had not heard that Lippert would void any warranty if I added the Bigfoot leveling system.

I plan to look into this and will have to make a decision in the future.

I also have read that many have the Firestone Air Bags, some use the Timbren AEON Springs and many have the TrailAir pin box. All this is great information.

Thanks to everyone.

jnbhobe

Bobcat, I forgot to say that both of my F-350's have the helper springs redone,The 03 has an extra 1500# leaf on each side and the 07 has Triangle Springs 4 leaf progressive helper.They both do a good job of keeping the truck level.The old 5er had 3300# on the pin

HappyKayakers

We're pulling an '06 3600RL with an '06 Dodge 3500 CTD, 6 spd manual, SRW, LB, QC. We added an exhaust brake last year and really like the feel of it coming down long grades. We also have the Trailair pin box. Don't have any previous towing experience to compare to but it all feels smooth to us.

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
We pull our "Freedom " Landmark with a Volvo 660. There is never a conversation about too much weight. See you at the Rally in Branson. I can hardly wait.
Christina

jimtoo

You asked... this is my new one...I can tow anything they can put in it.
camperwithtrailer.jpg

jwb187

I'm pulling my 3055rl with a 2005 GMC Crewcab shortbed duramax/allison. I also have air ride air bags and a 60gal auxillary fuel tank, and a prodigy brake controller. Just the generic Reese 16000 5'ver hitch. So far I have had no problems and have pulled in the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks. Getting ready to head to the Rockies this summer. JWB

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Bob I am a rookie, but I have the same model as you. Read below what I have. I would look into a pin cushion with or without air bags, but you really need air bags for the truck. I would also consider a pullrite auto slider just for safety sake. We have the factory Trail Air suspension, and its ok. Mission Tires are holding up, but who knows? Good luck and welcome to the family of Heartland.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Larry:
Am I missing something? You mentioned the Pullrite Autoslider "for safety sake". I can see where this hitch would be much more convenient than other sliding hitches, but what would there be about this hitch that would make it safer than others on the market?
Thanks
Fred