Torque 291 or 321?

weekender01

After all my searching we think we have narrowed it down to 2 floor models in the Torque 5th wheel line. We like both of them, but really like the 321 model the best due to 3 slides vs 2 and the island in the kitchen. My truck will tow both, but the 321 model will be right at the max of what I personally want to tow by the time it is loaded (around 14K #).

My questions are:

1. If we go with the 321 model vs. the 291 model will it tow differently due to the added length?

2. How difficult is it to tow a 39' 5th wheel? Most of our travel will be interstate, but certainly there will be times when we will tow through some smaller towns on occassion as we go to the beach and some local campgrounds.

3. Will the added 3' limit my options of campsites at most places?

If anyone has experience or advice I would love to hear your feedback.

HornedToad

I pondered this same question and we bought a 2013 Torque 321. I pulled it with an '08 F250 V10 that was at the top of it's tow rating and never had a problem.

The opposing slides and island kitchen made for a roomy and functional floorplan and the extra 2 ft in the garage was a big plus. You will not even notice the few extra feet or weight when towing / parking.

Pick the one that you like best!!!

weekender01

I pondered this same question and we bought a 2013 Torque 321. I pulled it with an '08 F250 V10 that was at the top of it's tow rating and never had a problem.

The opposing slides and island kitchen made for a roomy and functional floorplan and the extra 2 ft in the garage was a big plus. You will not even notice the few extra feet or weight when towing / parking.

Pick the one that you like best!!!

That is exactly what I was looking for. If we can get the pricing right we will probably go with the 321. Thanks for the feedback.

BlackT

Last year I had to decide between the 321 and the 325. The 12' garage was mandatory for me so the 291 was not considered. I went with the 321 which was right at my tow limit as well. My TV was a 2007 Chevy 2500 diesel. It towed very well, however, when I weighted it, it turned out that the pin weight was a little bit overweight. This may have been due to not having any weight in the garage. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and get a bigger TV, a GMC 3500 diesel DRW. It feels a lot better towing the 321 and gives me a little more piece of mind going down the road.

Last edited:

weekender01

Last year I had to decide between the 321 and the 325. The 12' garage was mandatory for me so the 291 was not considered. I went with the 321 which was right at my tow limit as well. My TV was a 2007 Chevy 2500 diesel. It towed very well, however, when I weighted it, it turned out that the pin weight was a little bit overweight. This may have been due to not having any weight in the garage. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and get a bigger TV, a GMC 3500 diesel DRW. It feels a lot better towing the 321 and gives me a little more piece of mind going down the road.

Great. What options do you have on your 321 and what is the dry weight listed on your unit?

BlackT

Aside from all of the normal stuff in the Torque package, I got the second ac, the 5.5 Onan generator, 1 television, and I deleted the bunks and lift mechanisms in the garage (more room for toys). The shipping weight was listed as 11980. I weighed it after I had some personal items on board and some fluids and it weighed 12540. The pin weight was 3340 and the axle weight was 9200. Hope this helps.

weekender01

Aside from all of the normal stuff in the Torque package, I got the second ac, the 5.5 Onan generator, 1 television, and I deleted the bunks and lift mechanisms in the garage (more room for toys). The shipping weight was listed as 11980. I weighed it after I had some personal items on board and some fluids and it weighed 12540. The pin weight was 3340 and the axle weight was 9200. Hope this helps.

Thanks and that helps me. I am figuring 12000# dry weight.