Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) -- Managing my own expectations

TxCowboy

Wasn't sure which forum to post these questions as they could fit any of these product line forums.

I take delivery of a new Key West this week. This will be my second Heartland product.

On our first purchase, I had only the most basic knowledge of RVs -- what I'd read online or what I'd learned at the RV shows. The PDI was fast and straightforward. Most was about how to operate the mechanical systems. We really didn't even turn anything on. The AC was already running, we didn't test the furnace, no discussion on input sources for the television, but I did get a good overview of the UDC. I've learned much since then but was blessed that our first HL was virtually flawless in its performance. Short of the nose cap deterioration, we have no complaints at all.

The new RV is a huge upgrade over our now-discontinued Greystone. More AC, induction cooktop, basically more of everything.

Aside from making sure the mechanical systems are working, what should I reasonably expect at the PDI?

1. Should the auto-leveling system be tested? Put the slides in, bring up the four rear levelers, then have it auto-level? (This would also test that the slides rest flush against the exterior walls.)

2. Test the induction cooktop?

3. Test all three sources of television input in both the living room and bedroom?

4. Test the microwave/convection oven?

5. Test a sampling of the receptacles, both inside and outside?

6. Test the plumbing fixtures -- sinks, shower, outdoor shower?

7. Test the dump values (needs water in each tank?)?

8. Test the water pump (needs water in the fresh water tank?)?

9. Test the washer, dryer, dishwasher?

Note: For 7, 8, and 9 above, I would need to have a dump station, right? Not sure my dealer has one.

10, Take a Blu-Ray DVD to test the DVD player.

Is testing these items (and others) a REASONABLE expectation during PDI?

Last edited:

Storm1972

Seems reasonable to me, shouldn't need a dump station to test any of it as it should be fresh water at first, we did all that and then some with our pdi on our new 4200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyboy

I'd check those and anything else that was mechanical or electronic. Run the awning in and out a couple of times also. If you have a washer and dryer run them through a cycle.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Will the dealer let you stay on his lot or nearby and make you a priority for repairs?

TxCowboy

Feel free to download my PDI document by clicking the link in my signature. Hope it helps. :)

I did that. It's a good product and it has helped. I spent over an hour and didn't finish the exterior checks but I also had no electricity in the unit and there were a bunch of folks trying to figure out an electrical issue at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Will the dealer let you stay on his lot or nearby and make you a priority for repairs?

I've never seen anyone staying on the lot and these folks do a good number of sales as they carry numerous manufacturers. As for the priority on repairs, I have no idea but their service area always appears busy. It may be a first-come, first-served situation. I guess it also depends on what exactly needs to be repaired.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did that. It's a good product and it has helped. I spent over an hour and didn't finish the exterior checks but I also had no electricity in the unit and there were a bunch of folks trying to figure out an electrical issue at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never seen anyone staying on the lot and these folks do a good number of sales as they carry numerous manufacturers. As for the priority on repairs, I have no idea but their service area always appears busy. It may be a first-come, first-served situation. I guess it also depends on what exactly needs to be repaired.

I ask as that is what we did when we bought our BC. We stayed on site to make sure everything worked and we had our own time to test things we wanted to test the way we wanted to test them. We did most of this before signing any paperwork too.

osims

bsims
Make sure you understand how inverter works and unplug coach and make sure refrigerator stays operating, we had a little problem with ours at PDI and at that time I didn't fully understand how it worked.

TxCowboy

Make sure you understand how inverter works and unplug coach and make sure refrigerator stays operating, we had a little problem with ours at PDI and at that time I didn't fully understand how it worked.

The frig did work with the inverter / battery power when I was there earlier in the week. It was the AC current/power they were having a problem with. I noticed the digital readouts on the frig door.

gandmrv

Check slide out fit/seal when closed up, I had to have dealer adjust one of the living room slides because there was a 3/4" gap between the seal and exterior wall..would surely have leaked towing in rain! It was raining 45° and wind blowing 30 mph for my PDI..so I probably didn't get my money's worth, but it turned out to be a pretty good unit so far..lucky I guess

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Did the PDI yesterday afternoon. Went pretty smoothly. They even pulled my old Greystone up door to door with the new Key West so the wife and I could move our stuff into the new RV. We thought that was pretty nice.

The dealer is hauling it down to our water front RV slot tomorrow morning so DW, the hounds, and I will be spending this holiday weekend getting things set up. :)