BD Turbo Brake for 2011-2014 6.7L

porthole

Retired
BD Ford 6.7L Turbo Brake

Sitting in the garage, going on today. Hopefully without any issues for a real test with our annual trek to dog camp up in Northeast PA this week, then on to New Hampshire.

Just some plug and play wire harnesses, a switch and one PFM box.
Hardest part appears to be going under the intake to access the turbo oil control solenoid.

Attachments

• BD_Exhaust_brake_1.jpg
    BD_Exhaust_brake_1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 96
  • BD_Exhaust_brake_2.jpg
    BD_Exhaust_brake_2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 87

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Engine, turbo, exhaust braking, I don't care what the right name is. It is worth every penny. Rolling down long grades and hardly have to touch the brakes.....PRICELESS.

Let us know how it goes.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Banks system and it looks like the BD Power works the same way.
It was awesome, you will like the BD Power brake.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I had a Banks system and it looks like the BD Power works the same way.
It was awesome, you will like the BD Power brake.

Peace
Dave

I had the Banks on my 2006 GMC, they were the first, all the rest copied, including the manufacturers.
I had multiple issues with mine and eventually took it out. But, when it worked, it worked very well.

I just wonder why it took 5 years.......

porthole

Retired
Turbo brake installed.

Cab portion is relatively straight forward, that took about 30 minutes.
Most of the wire connections are jumpers, e.g. pass through connectors, 1 plug for the switch and + & - battery connections.

Under hood was a bit more of a challenge. Access is tough on these newer trucks. Just getting to the firewall pass-through boot is a challenge.
The intake manifold has to come off to get to the turbo charger oil control solenoid harness connection. This is the solenoid the moves the vanes open and close (these are not the turbine vanes).

Reading the instructions it would seem as simple as remove 16 bolts and add the harness jump in connection. The manifold is a chore to remove.

If you try this yourself - the manifold will come off, just not easily. Once all screws are removed, lift and rotate counter clockwise as you tilt the right side up (this is as you are looking at the manifold, sitting on the engine facing rearward). And, you are forcing this against other parts, difficult, but just keep rotating.

Once off the turbo is visible, but the connector you have to remove is barely visible. The instructions note that if the connector retainer is damaged, to use a wire tie to secure it. There is a good reason for that. You can only see half the connecter and cannot access the second side clip.

The 5th picture is the tool I made to pop that clip. You are working blind but the bend and flat on the wire will allow popping the clip open.

Word of advise - do not store the screws on the cowling. I did that, slipped and knocked one of the screws off. But I didn't realize it until I had the manifold back on and came up one screw short. Pulled the manifold back off just to make sure nothing dropped down the intake and to look underneath for the screw. Took about a half hour but I found it and needed two pencil magnets to retrieve.

The intake seals are formed silicone rubber seals that are reusable.
The screws in the rear are very tough to get to.

The rest of the install was straight forward.

Pic 1
The dash switch, 3 positions, off, turbo control only and turbo plus brake

Pic 2
Bottom side of the intake manifold. Notice all the carbon buildup inside the runners? The glory of EGR :rolleyes:

Pic 3
The 3 intake ports and 2 unknown ports

Pic 4
Right rear port

Pic 5
Stainless welding rod I used to make the clip removal tool.

Pic 6
Showing location of the solenoid connector. That silver foil tube is an insulator for the connector.

- - - Updated - - -

Road test showed that the control does work, but I was unable to give it a real test. That will come later this week.

But, something to note, the brake is more effective with higher RPM's. That said, it was barely noticeable under 2500 RPM. Really need 3000 or mor to be most effective.
Unlike the factory turbo brakes, this kit remembers the ignition off setting.

Position 1 is turbo brake only and position 2 adds "braking".
What it is doing in mode 2 is automatically applying the truck's "Tow/Haul" mode.

So, in mode two, if you let up on the throttle the brake begins to retard. If you tap the brakes, the truck goes into T/H mode, downshifts and applies the turbo brake. Just the action of entering T/H and immediate downshifting makes the brake very noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

These two videos will give you an idea of what the vanes are and what is moving.

Attachments

• BD_Tubo_brake_01.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_01.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 66
  • BD_Tubo_brake_02.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_02.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 66
  • BD_Tubo_brake_03.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_03.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 64
  • BD_Tubo_brake_04.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_04.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 61
  • BD_Tubo_brake_05.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_05.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 63
  • BD_Tubo_brake_06.jpg
    BD_Tubo_brake_06.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 58

MikeR

Aren't the exhaust and intake manifolds on the 6.7L in switched positions? The exhaust manifold on top of the block and intakes on the side of the block. I believe Ford did this to shorten the length of the tubing to and from the turbo.

porthole

Retired
Aren't the exhaust and intake manifolds on the 6.7L in switched positions? The exhaust manifold on top of the block and intakes on the side of the block. I believe Ford did this to shorten the length of the tubing to and from the turbo.

On the 6.7 Ford the exhaust manifolds are on the inside bank of the cylinder heads. The intake manifold sits over the center valley like a conventional V-8 but the the runners instead of dropping straight down to the inner head sides, cross over the the top of the head and deliver air to the outer sides of the head.

The attached PDF file is the air management on a 6.7

Attachments

• 6.7L_Diesel coffee table book air managment.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Mburtsvt

So, basically this is the same thing as the new 2015 Ford 6.7 diesel with the engine, (not exhaust), brake.

porthole

Retired
So, basically this is the same thing as the new 2015 Ford 6.7 diesel with the engine, (not exhaust), brake.

The BD Turbo brake is manipulating the turbo vanes to give "turbo braking", the same as Ram, GM and for 2015+ Ford.

So to answer your question, yes, maybe, similar. The BD kit will automatically apply tow haul mode if you are not in that mode and have the BD control set for it.

Mburtsvt

The BD Turbo brake is manipulating the turbo vanes to give "turbo braking", the same as Ram, GM and for 2015+ Ford.

So to answer your question, yes, maybe, similar. The BD kit will automatically apply tow haul mode if you are not in that mode and have the BD control set for it.

Got it - just saved a small pile of money.

IronJ

I have the same setup on my ferd pick em up...exhaust braking is EXCELLENT over 2800 rpm. ...on my way to grand canyon (in sedona now) and I've hit some long 7-8% down grades and nary needed the brake pedal...

The key thing is to anticipate the need and get the engine rpms up ..I just use the manual selector button to drop/lock out gears..

18k lbs behind me , engine howling, and constant steady braking from the bd...

Worth every penny! ...

But I agree...it's not really a "simple" install....I mean it's simple, but the process is tedious...

I think you will love it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
So - the BD brake is NOT ready for prime time !

On the highways the brake performed as I guess it should. Not quite the effectiveness I was hoping for though (compared to the Banks brake in my GMC).

On the roller coaster hills of northeast PA, NY and NH - FAIL.
These are the 50-200 foot elevation changes, up and down that are close together.

I will probably remove it this week if I don't get some answers, suggestions from BD.

The instructions warn of possible check engine light codes being set on trucks with full emission controls intact and on long downhill high brakling effort.

Im going to guess that many of the trucks on the road are stock yet, so perhaps the system should have been designed to work witht the majority.

On the above hills there were times when the combo would not control the speed.
I got over 10 cleaning exhaust filter now notifictions in what would amount to less then 100 miles of travel.

Towing a trailer I never see exahust fitler cleaning.

One time a CEL came on but I was unable to retrieve any codes.
The biggest issue was on several of the downhills, maybe 1/2 mile or so, the truck would go into a "reduced power output" mode.

No codes were ever set in the reduced power mode.

That pretty much means you are not getting up the next hill without pulling over, cooling down, shutting down and restarting the truck.

That was hazardous at times due to traffic, lack of an area to pull over etc. 1 or 2 times where we were unable to pull over I barely made 5-10 mph climbing the hills.

I know BD had prelaunch issues with the device last summer, the reason we did not see it then.

I was really hoping for this to work, fully expecting it to delay a new truck purchase for a couple of years. The only thing I really don't care for with my truck is the lack of an exhaust or turbo brake.

2 years in a row now I have said while traveling to our two annual dog camps - "next year we are either getting a bigger truck or a smaller trialer".

BD-Performane Brake = not recommended at this time.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sorry to hear you went through all of that work for nothing. Been there done that. But you saved us all our time and money
Thanks for posting

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

IronJ

So - the BD brake is NOT ready for prime time !

On the highways the brake performed as I guess it should. Not quite the effectiveness I was hoping for though (compared to the Banks brake in my GMC).

On the roller coaster hills of northeast PA, NY and NH - FAIL.
These are the 50-200 foot elevation changes, up and down that are close together.

I will probably remove it this week if I don't get some answers, suggestions from BD.

The instructions warn of possible check engine light codes being set on trucks with full emission controls intact and on long downhill high brakling effort.

Im going to guess that many of the trucks on the road are stock yet, so perhaps the system should have been designed to work witht the majority.

On the above hills there were times when the combo would not control the speed.
I got over 10 cleaning exhaust filter now notifictions in what would amount to less then 100 miles of travel.

Towing a trailer I never see exahust fitler cleaning.

One time a CEL came on but I was unable to retrieve any codes.
The biggest issue was on several of the downhills, maybe 1/2 mile or so, the truck would go into a "reduced power output" mode.

No codes were ever set in the reduced power mode.

That pretty much means you are not getting up the next hill without pulling over, cooling down, shutting down and restarting the truck.

That was hazardous at times due to traffic, lack of an area to pull over etc. 1 or 2 times where we were unable to pull over I barely made 5-10 mph climbing the hills.

I know BD had prelaunch issues with the device last summer, the reason we did not see it then.

I was really hoping for this to work, fully expecting it to delay a new truck purchase for a couple of years. The only thing I really don't care for with my truck is the lack of an exhaust or turbo brake.

2 years in a row now I have said while traveling to our two annual dog camps - "next year we are either getting a bigger truck or a smaller trialer".

BD-Performane Brake = not recommended at this time.
I don't know many others running the bd but I just did 3000 Miles from TX to moab and up in Colorado. .

I thought the bd worked well...I decended many 8% grades that were 1+ miles long with no issues?

I do have a slight tune but still have stock exhaust? ...

Honestly it's still pretty new to me so can't say it works without a doubt..used about 3/4 tank def and regen seemed normal (hard to always catch them but it was about every 500miles)..averaged 8.9mpg over the whole trip....running around in in those mountains going up all the time sure uses a lot of diesel!.

But I'm hoping...I was running about 18k loaded and did most decents with the exhaust brake on and the truck screaming in 3rd and holding 50mph all the way...and rarely used the brakes?..

I'd like to know what bd says about your issues.....if they are all caused by the bd unit then I may consider removing it....

porthole

Retired
All my issues were on steep, short hills, not on the highway, where it pretty much maintained whatever cruise was set at.
My truck & trailer will not maintain cruise set speed without the BD brake.

But, I also tend to disengage the cruise on downhills to let gravity due some work. So for just highway travel, I don't need the extra braking.

IronJ

The "hills" going from grand canyon to zion to moab are not short at all...some 8-10% grades are 5 miles long...

I usually put the truck in criuse at 65 and let it do the work...

On those steep Hills I would slow to about 5 mph less than the speed I wanted to go and re engage cruise there...it seems to me if the cruise is off then the exhaust braking is less??..

IronJ

You missed what I said. The highways were fine.
Well geeze what hills are you driving down?..lol...I mean I was coming from zion to moab and i70 has some nasty grades...i thought 11% for miles with an 18k fiver on my back was a good test

I always know it's getting serious when the fan clutch kicks in and the "fighter jet" roar commences. ..

Anyway if it's fine on the highway, do you mean level?.. what exactly were you decending when the issues happened?..just curious..