Fifth wheel Back up Camera.

Bones

Since I added the tool box I can't see my hitch when backing up. Here is my attempt at a solution. I purchased a cheap back up camera from amazon with no lines for 20 bucks. I then purchased a cheap monitor for 20 bucks as well.

IMG_20150830_115858.jpg

To test the system out and determine the best use and if it will work long term I made up a temporary harness and put magnets on the camera.

IMG_20150830_115849.jpg

The green line is the length the harness needs to be to go through my back window and into the cab. and here is the finished harness with monitor and camera.

IMG_20150830_131418.jpg

Now I placed the camera to check out how things are working and test if I could manage to back up with the camera.

IMG_20150830_143654.jpg

Here is what I see in the truck. I had to bring the monitor off the front dash because everything was washed out with the sunlight. I may have to experiment with different positions.

IMG_20150830_143611.jpg

As I was backing up I miss calculated how far up the PinBox goes and I took out the camera.

IMG_20150830_144456.jpg

You can see the camera on the left side of this picture and how much more I will need to move it back.
IMG_20150830_144538.jpg

So I brought the camera back home and added extensions to the magnets to push it back farther. I will try again and see how it goes. I am not sure if I should move the camera up higher in the bed or if this is a good position. If everything works well I will run the power lines and camera feed through the bed and into the cab. If anyone wants me to keep track of parts I can post that for others to duplicate.

jnbhobe

I just put a piece of tape on the cover and one on the pin box and it lines up every time I back in, other wise I would find a way to smash the camera.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We took our '14 Ram 3500 to the local auto audio place and had them install a camera into the 3rd brake light. They switched it inside the cab so we can use the factory installed camera on the tailgate or the 3rd brake light camera. Cool. It points directly down onto the hitch.

Bones

We took our '14 Ram 3500 to the local auto audio place and had them install a camera into the 3rd brake light. They switched it inside the cab so we can use the factory installed camera on the tailgate or the 3rd brake light camera. Cool. It points directly down onto the hitch.
Do you know what kind of switch they used