Full timing, and in the beginning...

RottsNScotts

(yeah, I know, should be "timing")

Hi guys! I have been very busy beginning cleaning out my house and garages to prepare for going full time.

I have a couple of questions/solicitations for some ideas.

Do you set up an area as an office? How?

How long a sewer pipe is long enough? I am mostly seeing 15' in length.

For a 50 amp surge protector, do you recommend portable or hardwire with a display?

And remember, this is merely the beginning! LOL

Thanks,

Janet
Buster, Abby and Boomer

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Full timeing, and in the beginning...

Good luck on your fulltime adventure. We did it for three years, basically just flying by the seat of our pants and had a blast.

I carry 45' of sewer hose and yes, I had to use it a few times. I also have a Progressive pigtail type 50 Amp EMS with only a light display and it works great.

Office space for me was the dining table. We do have the knee hole desk in our rig, but it is used mostly for storage of printer etc. Trace

MTPockets

Over 3 yrs now.. 15 ft sewer slinky is good most of the time, but I carry 2 more 15 extensions that are needed at times.. Backup has also come in handy when one time the hose was stepped on and punctured, another time wild dogs chewed it up and dragged it away. Office space, Lazyboy or kitchen table. I use the built in desk rarely. I also have the portable surge protector from Progressive. They have the lifetime warranty.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

We are full timers also. I use two sections of the Rhino-Flex hose that total about 25' in length. I began with two 15' but one hose got stepped on (don't know who the big-foot that did that!) and this length works most places. When you come to a Goshen IN rally, you will likely find that you need more hose, so I have another 15' section and the necessary hardware to put it together.

I have been using the portable 50 amp surge protector, mainly because I am not an electrician and don't want the permanently wired unit. Also, if I buy another trailer, I'd have to move it. Much easier to just unplug on go on. There are locks available to secure the portable unit. I have never heard of one being stolen but they are out there.

Good luck in your new adventures.

Lance & Jo

This is what works for us, files in middle drawer and printer in bottom7. Desk.JPG

MCTalley

Do you set up an area as an office? How?

I have two "offices" - one involves my paying job where I do computer programming. That is done on my laptop, so typically my office is my recliner.

The second involves photography work that I perform on a desktop computer (Mac Mini). In our previous rig, we replaced the couch with a desk and I used that along with a 23" monitor for desktop work. Our current rig has a pull-out desk under the TV. I got rid of the external monitor and now use the 42" TV as a monitor (not quite as color accurate as the monitor was, but it suffices) along with bluetooth keyboard and trackpad on the pullout desk (I can almost sit in my recliner and do the same work, but it's tough to read smaller print on the screen all the way across the rig from my recliner).

How long a sewer pipe is long enough? I am mostly seeing 15' in length.

We carry four 15' hoses. I frequently use two of those and on rare occasions use a third one (the national rally and other "back of the site hookups" locations come immediately to mind). The reason we have four is our previous rig had two outlets and I sometimes use to put a "Y" in to connect everything at once. I would suggest at least two 15' hoses.

For a 50 amp surge protector, do you recommend portable or hardwire with a display?

For a full-timer, I'd suggest a hardwired unit. Just one less thing to mess with during hookup and breakdown. Plus, potential for theft is pretty much eliminated. Also, we had a recent forum member have the connection between the output side of the outdoor portable EMS and their power cord get flaky and melt. If a hardwired unit is properly wired, you save the potential of placing 220V across many of your expensive built-in appliances.

And remember, this is merely the beginning! LOL

Definitely. If you have a chance to live in your RV near your home if you are selling it and haven't already, you'll find that you can figure out what you need and don't need more easily than buying or giving away stuff on the road later on.

rxbristol

We removed the couch and installed a counter height dining table, then removed the built-in dinette and put in a desk.

Birchwood

To answer your questions ...we have been living in our LANDMARK for 6 years and we don't need an office.... period !
We have a 20 ft sewer hose that you can purchase anywhere so don't worry about that!
We don't use a surge protector as I feel its just another piece of equipment that someone is making lots of money selling.

RottsNScotts

Thanks for all your input and ideas everyone!

I am quite sure I will have many more as I go forward!

Janet
Buster, Abby and Boomer