Speakers leaking

Blue Oval

So I bought my 2014 RW 310 August the 6th of last year. We noticed a leak in the kitchen that was running out from under the cabinet where the sink is located. I took it in to the dealer where I bought it, they checked but couldn't find a leak. The leak was random which made it hard to trace down. Fast forward to last week we were camping and had a big pool of water appear from under the cabinet. I pulled the access panel under the sink and thought the leak was coming from the hot water heater connection. I took it back to the dealer this past Thursday 3 weeks out of warranty. Got a call today where I learned that the leak was not coming from the hot water heater, but rather the external speakers. They weren't sealed and they could watch the water run inside and down a speaker wire to the inside of the cabinet. I'm in Florida and we have had a lot of rain which could explain where the recent water came from. Also explains the randomness of the leak. My issue is this was documented before my warranty was up. The speakers have to be replaced, bottom of the cabinets are damaged from the water causing them to swell, and the floor has ridges where the water got to it. I'm hoping heartland will step up to the plate on this and make it right.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You'll need to contact Heartland directly and speak with someone there about this.

TxCowboy

Blue Oval, when you say they (the speakers) are not sealed, do you mean there's no chalking around the speakers, the speakers are not "exterior grade" speakers, or do you mean something else?

JohnD is correct in that you should call HL but I personally want to know more about what you and/or the dealer observed so that others can know what to look for in their maintenance routine.

Thanks!

JohnD

I wonder if the speaker cones may have a hole or two in them.

I've heard of them getting blasted by the hose or at a car wash and breaking the seal on the speaker cone.

On our previous Heartland Trail Runner, the outside speakers never did sound very good, and I finally discovered that the little silver cone director around the center of each speaker had fallen off (ie.- came unglued) and was just laying down in the bottom between speaker and the speaker grill, which caused a buzzing sound.

Here is a photo:

JensenSpeaker-P5220764.jpg

TxCowboy

JohnD, that's what happened in my old Greystone -- the silver cones on both exterior speakers came off and were sitting in the bottom of the speaker covers.

My new Key West doesn't even have exterior speakers. Isn't that weird? LOL

sjs731

My advice is put in some new speakers. The stock speakers are no comparison to what is available as far as sound.

Steve

JohnD

JohnD, that's what happened in my old Greystone -- the silver cones on both exterior speakers came off and were sitting in the bottom of the speaker covers.

My new Key West doesn't even have exterior speakers. Isn't that weird? LOL

Our new Prowler has the outside speakers, although they are on the far end of the slideout under the awning . . . away from where you might be sitting!

So basically useless . . . although they do work good so far!

You can see them in my sig photo (two black dots left of the 'Prowler' logo).

Blue Oval

The service writer only said they weren't sealed and the edges of the speakers had curled up. Not sure what that means or if that is where they were leaving from.

JohnD

The service writer only said they weren't sealed and the edges of the speakers had curled up. Not sure what that means or if that is where they were leaving from.

Sounds like the speaker cones were bad.

Jensen offered to replace the ones I had on our previous Heartland Trail Runner, but I decided I didn't want the same speakers put back in, although I never did replace them before we traded it in.

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg