I got the fever for a new F-350

Oregon_Camper

Time for a Dually upgrade ;)

Spent 2hrs at the dealer today. Came out knowing WHAT I want, but they can't find one within 1000 miles. Now I need to order it and wait 6-12 weeks.

2016 F-350 Lariat, 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel, Ruby Red (this color is the killer...VERY hard to find) Chrome Package, Camper Package, 5th Wheel Prep Package, Lariat Interior Package, and a few more odd stuff.

Still on the fence about 3.73 or 4.30 Axle...???

Not going to buy the Navigation system this time. I use "Waze" and "Google Maps" for all my driving needs. They are free...having live traffic and Police notifications. And they are updated all the time...for FREE...unlike the $500 Navigation update Ford kept trying to sell me every year.

F-350.jpg

Last edited:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We have no regrets with the 4.1. Take that with the H rated tires and wheels we put on and our truck is a beast! I don't know what the final tow capacity is with those wheels, but it is way above what our Lamdmark weighs. It is only a SRW, but has the payload of at least the DRW. Mark is very proud of his truck!

Kristy

PS We have air bags with the onboard compressor too, but that doesn't increase the payload.

Oregon_Camper

... It is only a SRW, but has the payload of at least the DRW. Mark is very proud of his truck!

Wow...that Dodge must be a beast, as your RV is 15,100lbs from the factory. I'm sure I carry at least 1,500 pounds besides the trailer...which puts me right at the 15,200 limit of my 2008 F-350 Diesel.

avvidclif

We have no regrets with the 4.1. Take that with the H rated tires and wheels we put on and our truck is a beast! I don't know what the final tow capacity is with those wheels, but it is way above what our Lamdmark weighs. It is only a SRW, but has the payload of at least the DRW. Mark is very proud of his truck!

Kristy

PS We have air bags with the onboard compressor too, but that doesn't increase the payload.

It's whatever is on the sticker inside the drivers door. I doubt anywhere near a dually...

Bones

Time for a Dually upgrade ;)

Spent 2hrs at the dealer today. Came out knowing WHAT I want, but they can't find one within 1000 miles. Now I need to order it and wait 6-12 weeks.

2016 F-350 Lariat, 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel, Ruby Red (this color is the killer...VERY hard to find) Chrome Package, Camper Package, 5th Wheel Prep Package, Lariat Interior Package, and a few more odd stuff.

Still on the fence about 3.73 or 4.30 Axle...???

Not going to buy the Navigation system this time. I use "Waze" and "Google Maps" for all my driving needs. They are free...having live traffic and Police notifications. And they are updated all the time...for FREE...unlike the $500 Navigation update Ford kept trying to sell me every year.

View attachment 39780
Oregon_Camper, Sooo you really do have the fever. If I had a chance I would have gone to the 3.73 gears in my dually and not the 4.10's I have now but I got what was left. The only thing I like with the Nav system is that it has a large screen and you can see the road and read the display better. The Lariat is a very nice trim package. I was looking at one of those. Enjoy your new truck.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Oregon_Camper, Sooo you really do have the fever. If I had a chance I would have gone to the 3.73 gears in my dually and not the 4.10's I have now but I got what was left. The only thing I like with the Nav system is that it has a large screen and you can see the road and read the display better. The Lariat is a very nice trim package. I was looking at one of those. Enjoy your new truck.

Why do you not like 4:10 gearing?

Bones

I drive mine every day and so far I've only managed 13 mpg in the truck. Maybe when it starts to break in I'll get better MPG. I have not towed yet so that is subject to change. I think the 3.73 did a fine job with towing and MPG

Bones

I drive mine every day and so far I've only managed 13 mpg in the truck. Maybe when it starts to break in I'll get better MPG. I have not towed yet so that is subject to change. I think the 3.73 did a fine job with towing and MPG
The 13 mpg was the first week after getting the truck so maybe it just needs to learn my driving habits. I should have another fill up soon and I will record my MPG then too to see if it has changed. I do hear from others that the 4.10 are great for towing so I will find out and I'll let you know.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
My 2010 F-450 had the 4:10 rear end in it. Only way the 450 came, I was told. When I ordered my new 2014 I specifically went to the F-350. I wanted the 3:73 rear end. MUCH better MPG with the 3:73 and I really don't miss the extra leaf spring that my old 450 had. The 3:73 pulls my Landmark 365 Newport (one huge beast) without any problems, at least out here in the East. I'll give it a real test next year when we pull the Rockies on our way to the Las Vegas National Rally.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oregon Camper, you need to come to Texas for dually shopping! Did a quick search and found quite a few ruby reds within 300 miles of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

My 2010 F-450 had the 4:10 rear end in it. Only way the 450 came, I was told. When I ordered my new 2014 I specifically went to the F-350. I wanted the 3:73 rear end. MUCH better MPG with the 3:73 and I really don't miss the extra leaf spring that my old 450 had. The 3:73 pulls my Landmark 365 Newport (one huge beast) without any problems, at least out here in the East. I'll give it a real test next year when we pull the Rockies on our way to the Las Vegas National Rally.

Please let us know how the trip goes over the mountains.

jam20ster

I'm pulling a 2016 cyclone 4200 weighing over 18k dry. I have the 3.73 gears on a 2015 f350 DWR and honestly can't tell the trailer is even behind the truck most of the time. I too have airbags to level out truck which makes driving long distances more comfortable. 4.10 gears are a beast, but not sure I would be a fan of 10 mpg all the time. Towing I'm getting about 7.5-8.2 mpg. Not towing mix of highway/city I'm getting 14.5-15 mpg.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I'm pulling a 2016 cyclone 4200 weighing over 18k dry. I have the 3.73 gears on a 2015 f350 DWR and honestly can't tell the trailer is even behind the truck most of the time. I too have airbags to level out truck which makes driving long distances more comfortable. 4.10 gears are a beast, but not sure I would be a fan of 10 mpg all the time. Towing I'm getting about 7.5-8.2 mpg. Not towing mix of highway/city I'm getting 14.5-15 mpg.

My sentiments exactly jam20ster! I had to 4:10 in my old truck because at the time I was working and pulled 46' gooseneck trailers loaded with motorcycles. Now that I'm semi-retired, I don't need that extra towing capacity. The 350 with 3:73 has more rated towing capacity than my LM365 Newport will ever be "overloaded" to. With my 2014 F-350 with the 3:73 rear end, is just now starting to get broken in (22k miles) and I'm getting 17 to 18 mix and 9.9 to 10 pulling.

dbbls59

My dually has 3.73 and it tows fine in the mountains. You must be looking for a dually with those rear ends.

Oregon_Camper

Oregon Camper, you need to come to Texas for dually shopping! Did a quick search and found quite a few ruby reds within 300 miles of me.

Could you send me the zip code of the area you found them? I'd fly there and just drive it back vs. having to wait 6-12 weeks to special order one.

TravelTiger

Sent you a PM! I used Cars.com. Of course, you know more specifically the specs you want, so it may or may not turn up anything. Also you will need to call the dealerships to make sure they can "Lay their hands on it", not just what the computer says is in stock.

Bones

Sent you a PM! I used Cars.com. Of course, you know more specifically the specs you want, so it may or may not turn up anything. Also you will need to call the dealerships to make sure they can "Lay their hands on it", not just what the computer says is in stock.
The biggest problem I had is that even if the truck was on their lot it doesn't state if it was sold. I had two trucks that were showing up as available but were sold. I even drove an hour and half for a truck that was sold for a week but still sitting on the lot. I even talked to the sales rep the night before and then they wanted me to drop money to be on a waiting list in-case the financing didn't go through. I just walked away.

TravelTiger

The biggest problem I had is that even if the truck was on their lot it doesn't state if it was sold. I had two trucks that were showing up as available but were sold. I even drove an hour and half for a truck that was sold for a week but still sitting on the lot. I even talked to the sales rep the night before and then they wanted me to drop money to be on a waiting list in-case the financing didn't go through. I just walked away.

Yes, you have to be diligent to make sure they can lay their hands on it. Tell them you want them to locate the keys and hold them, that they have to call you when they have them or you won't come see it. That way they have incentive (you have to come to them to see the vehicle). If the vehicle is sold, they'll not be able to hold the keys for you.

When we located our 2013 earlier this year, the salesman I spoke with said he would go and pull it up front for us to come test drive, and hold the keys. He did. Even had it washed!

Texas has a lot of duallies, y'all come on down!

Bones

Yes, you have to be diligent to make sure they can lay their hands on it. Tell them you want them to locate the keys and hold them, that they have to call you when they have them or you won't come see it. That way they have incentive (you have to come to them to see the vehicle). If the vehicle is sold, they'll not be able to hold the keys for you.

When we located our 2013 earlier this year, the salesman I spoke with said he would go and pull it up front for us to come test drive, and hold the keys. He did. Even had it washed!

Texas has a lot of duallies, y'all come on down!

I will admit that I saw a lot of duallys in those states. I don't know why but they had a lot and pricing was decent too. I was just not willing to run over there if I could make a deal here.

TravelTiger

Here in a more rural part of the State I swear I see 3-4 just driving around our small town (3800 people). The next town over, about the same size, but is the county seat, has one dealership each of the big 3. They have more trucks than cars on their lots.