Only the tops of windows have caulking?

While prepping the rig for a trip next week, I realized that only the top of each window has been sealed with caulk. Does anyone know why the windows on our Bighorns’ only have caulking at the top? I know that there is probably a logically explanation why, but could someone enlighten me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Every RV I've owned is the same way. Even the clearance lights and porch lights are only caulked on the top. I guessing it's because water wont flow up. I also think there is sealant on the frames of the windows that surrounds the entire frame but it's not visible after they are installed.

GaryB

This may be a good question to post in ATF. It would be re-assuring to hear there is some seal along the side/bottom of the window channel to prevent blowing rain from entering. Then again, if that case, why the caulking on the top?

talley

Ray hit it.... the top and sides will be caulked and any moisture or water will drain out of the fixture along the bottom. If the bottom were also caulked and moisture got in it could lead to water accumulation and damage of the wall, rot, etc.

This is a common practuce in stick construction as well.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Oh wow, a tech question I really know the answer to, lmbo! I used to install windows for a living and talley and Ray are right on the money,,, Lizzy

StevieWonder

Ray hit it.... the top and sides will be caulked and any moisture or water will drain out of the fixture along the bottom.

Mostly right answer BUT the sides are NOT caulked on EVERYTHING ... ONLY the top. Look at your external fixtures like running lights, electrical outlets, etc. All caulked on the TOP ONLY.

Missing caulk on sides = time + materials = money. :eek: I'd guess it saves $100 or more on each trailer built. Common industry practice, not a Heartland thing.

talley

Mostly right answer BUT the sides are NOT caulked on EVERYTHING ... ONLY the top. Look at your external fixtures like running lights, electrical outlets, etc. All caulked on the TOP ONLY.

Missing caulk on sides = time + materials = money. :eek: I'd guess it saves $100 or more on each trailer built. Common industry practice, not a Heartland thing.

Right about the money issue... I caulked the sides on windows myself, just too much potential for water intrusion from rain/washing.

StevieWonder

I caulked the sides on windows myself, just too much potential for water intrusion from rain/washing.

Agreed. Rain is not the only water inlet potential. Driving down the road in the rain FORCES the water in uncaulked areas. Well worth the time/materials to caulk.

GaryB

After reading this thread, I became curious myself and emailed Coley Brady to ask. He forwarded my question to Scott Lytle (Heartland), and I just rec'v the following reply:

The windows have a gasket seal between the window frame and the side wall it just isn’t that visible from the outside because it compresses and it is black. Most manufacturers cap seal exterior components only, this keeps the water from collecting on top and it allows it to shed when the unit is stationary.

StevieWonder

Most manufacturers cap seal exterior components only, this keeps the water from collecting on top and it allows it to shed when the unit is stationary.

Stationary is a KEY word in this response.

If the gasket is effective, it's effective at all locations (who ever heard of a gasket that seals along 3 sides but not the 4th?). The fact that COLLECTED water can apparently increase the likelihood of water bypassing the gasket reinforces the idea that caulking around the entire window (or any other hole in the exterior) reduces the chances of water entering by being windblown, either through natural wind or highway speed "induced" wind.

And, as I stated earlier, caulking only the top is an almost universally applied industry practice.