Awning Questions

Campdmg

Recently ordered a 2009 3670 Big Horn. Anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

The purchase order states that it has "Electric Awning". So here are my questions, if anyone minds answering these for a "newbie" auto awning owner:

1) Does automatic ALWAYS mean that it will automatically retract with the wind/rain discussed in other threads?

2) Can you string outdoor lights on an auto awning? I've read posts of these awning having a mind of their own and retracting, so are string lights a bad thing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts received from people.

Michael Guest
Windsor, CT

jbeletti

Hi Michael,

The Electric awnings Heartland uses now, do not have the automatic feature. They are electric - yes. At the touch of a button, you can roll it out and back in. Very nice. But no more wind sensor. To be honest, many of them were problematic. In terms of a rain sensor for the awning - I have not heard of that feature on any awning - only on certain vent fans. It's a nice feature.

As for awning lights, yes, you can put them on your awning. You may want to get these doo-dads that slip into the spline of the awning tube to hang the lights from.

The electric awning does not come down as far as a manual awning. So while you can add a string of party lights, you may need a short ladder or stool. I've even used the picnic table!

While you did not ask for this, I'll toss it out there. In my opinion, you should not really "stake down" an electric awning. Also, most of them "kneel" to one side automatically (gravity powered) when enough water collects on the open awning.

Jim

Campdmg

Thanks, Jim! Over and above with that last item of information....will be helpful. We did get those "doo-dads" you mentioned for the lights. Thanks for explaining that there is a difference between automatic and electric. In my mind, they were the same, so your response really helped.

....now....if that fiver would just come in for delivery......

Jimmyt5

The dealer here has electric awnings on sale for 665. and 2hrs labor.
What you get for that is just the arms on the sides,they use your awning, they tilt to one side when full of rain.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We have the automatic awning on our Landmark and yes they are problematic, ours is in the shop as I write and this is one of the problems. The wind sensor worked for about two weeks then quit working, they have ordered a new sensor for it but if this one quits and I expect it will I will just forget that feature as nice as it is and do it manually. even with the automatic awning there is a switch that you can turn off and string your lights on it with no problem.

Don