2014 Torque 321 De-lamination issue

I purchased a Brand new 2014 Torque 321 on August 07, 2015 from Rocky Mountain RV in Logan Utah. A day after getting it home I noticed that there were bubbles all over the exterior walls (both sides) near the roof. The bubbles range in size from several inches to a foot or more in places. I am worried it may be due to water getting between the fiberglass exterior skin and the wood walls. Initially I was not terribly worried but after speaking to a gentleman at a campground in West Yellowstone this week I am now very worried. Can this be fixed? Will Heartland warranty this item? A brand new trailer should not do this even if it is a 2014 and has been on the lot for 2 years. Anybody have any advice or have had similar issues? I would post pics but because I am new to this forum I am not allowed to post pics just yet.

danemayer

Hi Firecaptian708,

It does sound like it could be delamination, which is almost always caused by water intrusion. So it definitely needs to be investigated immediately to prevent interior damage that can't be seen.

Water intrusion is often caused by lack of maintenance to the caulking on the roof, around windows, light fixtures and markers, etc. The trailer manual calls for this to be checked several times per year and maintained as needed. Intense sun, wind, rain, temperature swings, snow, ice will all lead to deterioration of the caulking. However, when a trailer sits on a dealer lot, it's very possible that it gets no maintenance at all.

The warranty covers manufacturing defects, not maintenance issues. So depending on the cause of the bubbles, warranty coverage is possible, but not a given. This might end up being something the dealer has to cover.

You should call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They will want to see pictures that show the problem clearly. If they think this is a case of water intrusion due to lack of maintenance, they may be able to provide guidance to help the dealer get the problems fixed.

I will contact Heartland, Thank You!!! I sure hope that either the dealership or Heartland will be able to fix the issue for me. I was very hesitant to buy a "new" 2 year old trailer but it was in my price range and the salesman assured me that any problems with the trailer would be fixed and covered under warranty because "it is a new unit".

jmoench

I have a 2012 Sundance I purchased new in Florida. I have always kept it in a covered pole barn. It has the same problem with blisters or bubbles on the exterior side walls. I looked at the warranty from Heartland and I can only find where they warranty the unit for one year. I plan on contacting them to see if it is still covered as it has only been three years since I purchased it.

danemayer

I have a 2012 Sundance I purchased new in Florida. I have always kept it in a covered pole barn. It has the same problem with blisters or bubbles on the exterior side walls. I looked at the warranty from Heartland and I can only find where they warranty the unit for one year. I plan on contacting them to see if it is still covered as it has only been three years since I purchased it.

They'll likely tell you that delamination is usually caused by water intrusion from deterioration of the caulking. But it doesn't cost much to ask. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Well Heartland is finally going to start addressing my delamination issue after 3 months of back and forth with them and the dealership. This has been a nightmare of a process. A brand new trailer shouldn't have these issues. Never thought this would be so difficult to get a warranty issue looked at. They are hiring a transport service to pick up my trailer and drive it back to the factory for evaluation and hopefully repair. I will post further when I have more details as to what they plan to do to address the issue. I would rather a brand new replacement unit as opposed to repair but we will see what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyboy

Sorry, but a 2014 isn't a brand new trailer even if was not previously purchased. The caulk has to be examined for cracks and recaulked when needed even when it's just sitting. If your dealer neglected that, then I'd be totally angry at the dealer. Hope all gets resolved.

Martha

The Caulk and seals have all been inspected by an independent source that verified everything was still in good order. This was done upon the request of Heartland prior to them accepting the trailer back to their facility. Independent inspection suggested it is due to a manufacturer defect. Hopefully Heartland fixes everything then addresses what they need to address with the dealer and just leaves me out of the middle of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk