Another Basement Wall Mod - Key Largo

dlw930

I've been wanting to do this mod for months and finally found the time to install sliding doors for access to the plumbing, etc. behind the basement wall. I used aluminum channel strips made for 1/2" plywood for the upper and lower tracks, a 1x1 aluminum angle as a stiffener for the upper panel and something rigid to fasten the upper tracks to. I fastened the lower tracks to a pine 2x2 screwed to the basement floor. I used 3/8 plywood for the doors instead of the OSB in the original wall since the OSB has more of a tendency to swell around the edges moreso than plywood. I wrapped the doors in the original felt used on the wall panel. With one thickness of the felt stapled to the 3/8" doors, the doors were nice an snug in the tracks, but not so tight that I couldn't slide them easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c4ed550b1660f7dcd25f1cc171ed0d52.jpg
c5e638aef680ce7f9f2c559bc9750832.jpg
a75344651297b9ddb0144f327c1b1fd5.jpg
fe3bcc6d0dfc1223afcecba97164682e.jpg

Jv75353

Great idea and it looks real good too! Can the sliding doors be slid completely out of the tracks if necessary for access? Also have you had any issues with the doors moving when towing?

dlw930

Great idea and it looks real good too! Can the sliding doors be slid completely out of the tracks if necessary for access? Also have you had any issues with the doors moving when towing?

I haven't towed since doing the mod, but I'm optimistic there's enough friction between the felt and tracks that they won't move. If I'm wrong, I may search out some kind of latch or removeable stop to keep them in place. I can remove two screws in the panel supporting the upper tracks if I need to take out both doors. Due to the angle of the wall section relative to the other walls and my sliding storage tray frame, the doors can't be removed without removing the upper track. I don't see this as a huge problem since removing the upper panel is a lot easier than taking out the big panel that was there before.

rdgt67

Dies each door have a separate channel or do they slide in the same channel? Exactly how did you do the upper? Where did you get the channel? I have a key west and want to do that to mine. Where did you findo the felt?

dlw930

Nicve job. You can probably buy the angle and channel at Lowes or Home Depot.

I think I got them at Home Depot, but I think Lowes has pretty much the same stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Nice job. If the doors slide around, you could always drill a hole in the middle of upper track trough both doors in the closed position and stick a screw / pin through them.