Auto-switching propane system?

TxCowboy

I'm familiar with the older style propane switching devices -- point the indicator to the tank you want to draw from and, when you run out (normally at 2 AM when it's freezing outside :rolleyes: ), manually switch it over to the full tank.

During my recent PDI for the Key West, I was told this is an auto-switching (auto-changeover) propane switch. I have no information for this specific device in my new owner information and it looks like neither of the two devices in the Heartland Owners Manual section.

20150901_153640.jpg

EDIT: The post rotated for some reason. The device's long axis is up and down. The pointer in the photo is pointing toward the ground.

1. How do I know if this device is an actual auto-switching device?

2. Is the switch in the photo correctly aligned to be drawing off both propane tanks?

3. If it is auto-switching, is it drawing off both tanks at the same time?

Thanks for any insight on this. I want to make sure I know how this system is operating before it get chilly outside.

BLHFUN

1. It is. In the position that it's currently in, you can remove the white cover and read the label.

2. Yes. Same position as mine and it's working correctly

3. I believe it pulls from only one tank a time, but I could be wrong. I usually lose my drivers side first, then my passenger side

TxCowboy

So the white thing is just a cover? Who knew? LOL Just removed it and it does say auto-switching.

Thanks, Bart, for squaring me away. :)

olcoon

Personally, I'd rather switch it myself, that way I'll know when I've got an empty tank, and can get it filled. Just something I'd rather do, even if it's 2:00 am, in freezing rain. I'd rather do that than run completely out of propane at 2:00 am in freezing rain on Saturday night, and can't find somewhere on Sunday in the middle of nowhere to fill the tank.

JanAndBill

I'm familiar with the older style propane switching devices -- point the indicator to the tank you want to draw from and, when you run out (normally at 2 AM when it's freezing outside :rolleyes: ), manually switch it over to the full tank.

During my recent PDI for the Key West, I was told this is an auto-switching (auto-changeover) propane switch. I have no information for this specific device in my new owner information and it looks like neither of the two devices in the Heartland Owners Manual section.

View attachment 39880

EDIT: The post rotated for some reason. The device's long axis is up and down. The pointer in the photo is pointing toward the ground.

1. How do I know if this device is an actual auto-switching device?

2. Is the switch in the photo correctly aligned to be drawing off both propane tanks?

3. If it is auto-switching, is it drawing off both tanks at the same time?

Thanks for any insight on this. I want to make sure I know how this system is operating before it get chilly outside.

Auto switching. OPEN THE VALVES ON BOTH TANKS. TURN the LEVER on the your switching valve toward the line/tank you want to pull from. WHEN THAT TANK runs out the indicator window will show RED, and the valve AUTOMATICALLY switches to the other tank. When YOU DO see RED in the indicator window, manually turn the lever to the other tank. Now turn off and disconnect your empty tank for refilling. When you put it back in OPEN the valve, and when the other tank goes empty it will switch over automatically so you can repeat the process. Simple. Just remember that during periods of high propane use, you could end up with both tanks empty at the same time. We've been in some cold and wind that was sucking a tank dry every 3 days.

GOTTOYS

I carry a 20 pounder for my grill and my Lil Red propane Campfire. I've used it a couple times on the trailer when the others ran out. Glad I had it....Don

TxCowboy

Auto switching. OPEN THE VALVES ON BOTH TANKS. TURN the LEVER on the your switching valve toward the line/tank you want to pull from. WHEN THAT TANK runs out the indicator window will show RED, and the valve AUTOMATICALLY switches to the other tank. When YOU DO see RED in the indicator window, manually turn the lever to the other tank. Now turn off and disconnect your empty tank for refilling. When you put it back in OPEN the valve, and when the other tank goes empty it will switch over automatically so you can repeat the process. Simple. Just remember that during periods of high propane use, you could end up with both tanks empty at the same time. We've been in some cold and wind that was sucking a tank dry every 3 days.

That's good info! Much appreciated. :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Auto switching is a good thing for some but we never use it. We would rather have a tank run empty and then manually switch it to the other tank so we don't forget and end up with both tanks empty in the middle of a cold night. By the way, it seems like a rule that the propane tank always runs out in the middle of a cold winter night.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use ours on auto-switch and check it during the colder periods when I dump the tanks or the furnace has run a lot. Normally I can get a refill at the CG office during the day, but if they can't fill it(like they've run out or are closed), there's a couple of places nearby I can take a tank to.

Learned the hard way about running out with our former TT at a state park and the switch set to the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use ours on auto-switch and check it during the colder periods when I dump the tanks or the furnace has run a lot. Normally I can get a refill at the CG office during the day, but if they can't fill it(like they've run out or are closed), there's a couple of places nearby I can take a tank to.

Learned the hard way about running out with our former TT at a state park and the switch set to the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember right if the on some dual tank connections if the switch is set to the center it will draw off of both tanks. Be careful with this or both will run out at the same time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I remember right if the on some dual tank connections if the switch is set to the center it will draw off of both tanks. Be careful with this or both will run out at the same time.

And that was the lesson learned. I was not familiar with how the switch worked until that moment. And it was a PITA to remove the tank cover to check it regularly.

danemayer

I run with one tank open at a time. Periodically I'll lift the tank being used, about an inch, to get a feel for weight. It's a crude way of judging whether there's enough propane to get through the night, but it usually keeps me from having to open the other tank at 3 AM.

JanAndBill

Guess an old dog can learn a new trick, I never knew you could set the lever in the middle. Not sure why anyone would want to. In cold weather I check the indicator on the valve every day when I dump the tanks, that gives me plenty of time to get the empty tank refilled.

SMinter

I had the one shown in the picture. (TPA,Another piece of chinese junk!) I found out it would not switch automatically the hard way. A refrigerator full of spoiled food. Was gone all day, and when I returned, no propane to anything. Went out and checked. Red flag was up but no propane flow until I turned the lever over to the other tank. Replaced with different type. Hope it works right.

I have the exact switching valve and auto-switching doesn't work for me.. if I have it pointed to the tank I want it to draw from, when that tank runs out, it doesn't switch to the alternate, although it did show red in the viewer.. probably defective, but proved to be a pain this past summer when I was leaving my fridge on while in storage for a few weeks and ran out of propane on one of the tanks... :(

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I thought that to auto switch between tanks the selector knob was supposed to be pointed in the middle (straight up).

Bob.jr

I think the pointer should point straight up to draw from both tanks.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I know when we finally ran out one of the tanks this summer I had the pointer toward that tank, and the furnace shut off and the hot water heater wouldn't run when the tank ran out.

I had to turn the knob to the other tank to get the water heater fired up again.

rxbristol

I know when we finally ran out one of the tanks this summer I had the pointer toward that tank, and the furnace shut off and the hot water heater wouldn't run when the tank ran out.

I had to turn the knob to the other tank to get the water heater fired up again.

If both tanks are open, the priority is the tank the arrow is pointing toward--this also lets you remove the tank (that the arrow is NOT pointing toward) so it can be refilled while not turning off the other propane tank or appliances. If the two stage regulator does not seem to work, check the high pressure regulator (red), it's the one that usually goes kaput. I replaced ours with a better quality one.

wdk450

If both tanks are open, the priority is the tank the arrow is pointing toward--this also lets you remove the tank (that the arrow is NOT pointing toward) so it can be refilled while not turning off the other propane tank or appliances. If the two stage regulator does not seem to work, check the high pressure regulator (red), it's the one that usually goes kaput. I replaced ours with a better quality one.

The older Marshall Automatic switchover valves had an accessory available to let you know INSIDE the trailer when a tank had run out and the valve had switched over. It was a clip-on electronic sensor that detected the red flag, and had the wiring to an alarm lamp, usually mounted in the trailer electrical control center.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/12/07/rv-propane-tank-changeover-indicator