Garmin RV760 LMT

Flyerone

I just purchased this GPS and I can't stand the BaseCamp software, I pick a route send it to the GPS and it doesn't follow my route, it creates it's own. What is a good trip planning software that I can use with this GPS?

danemayer

When planning a trip, I just look up the destinations on the 760 and save them as favorites. Then each day I select the next destination. If there are particular intermediate stops, I load those as well. I've tried loading long, complex route plans but it always seemed to make things unnecessarily complicated when actually calling up the route and using the GPS.

It's also possible to create a trip with multiple stops directly on the 760 without using Basecamp. I've done that as well, but again, I find it easier to just call up the next destination.

rxbristol

I load each stop (fuel, turns, etc.) as destination points, otherwise it has a tendency to take me on roads I don't want to take. Waypoints will work also.

Oregon_Camper

First...I'm not knocking the Garmin or anyone that uses one....technology is GREAT.

Question....I'm sure most folks have a smart phone today (iphone or android). Why not use apps from their stores...around $2 each...to do what a $400 Garmin is doing? I know their must be a compelling reason folks are still buying Garmin devices, but I can't seem to find a value it adds over my Note 4 (Android smartphone).

Flyerone

For one the 7" screen, I was using an android tablet with Co-Pilot but found it hard to manipulate and lacked RV features.This Garmin was closer to $300 and so far I like it, voice command, bluetooth connection to my Iphone, and RV features. The only thing I don't like is the BaseCamp trip planning software but I will find something a little more user friendly. Trying out Tyre, it's free and will import and export to the Garmin.

danemayer

I trust the Garmin RV760 to keep me on routes that don't have low clearances or weight restrictions. I've run it side by side with the CoPilot app on an iPad. I like the CoPilot display on the iPad a lot. But the app doesn't allow a height setting that matches the RV. Also, even when options were set the same, the Garmin and CoPilot constantly picked different routes. I trust the Garmin.

I like the lane guidance that pops up to visually explain the upcoming exits and lane decisions.

Also, the CoPilot needs an internet data connection to look up most points of interest. That works well as long as you have a connection. The RV760 database doesn't require a connection. The Up Ahead feature lets you easily find points of interest in a number of different ways.

But, if you get a low clearance app, and plan your route, you can make it work with CoPilot or other apps.

olcoon

First...I'm not knocking the Garmin or anyone that uses one....technology is GREAT.

Question....I'm sure most folks have a smart phone today (iphone or android). Why not use apps from their stores...around $2 each...to do what a $400 Garmin is doing? I know their must be a compelling reason folks are still buying Garmin devices, but I can't seem to find a value it adds over my Note 4 (Android smartphone).

I can see the advantage of using a free/cheap app for your trip/route planning, but what about areas where you get no signal on your phone? Also like someone mentioned, the screen on a cell phone is way smaller than the one on a GPS.

Tom, Bob Curry (txbobcat) has the same GPS you've got, and he always uses Basemap for his routing. He even written a review in the "Heartland Highlights" our club newsletter of the RV760. Here is a link to it. He'll probably see your post & chime in.

Oregon_Camper

Also like someone mentioned, the screen on a cell phone is way smaller than the one on a GPS.

My Note 4 has a 5.7" screen with 2560x1440 resolution compared to the Garmin with a 7" screen with a very low 800 x 480 resolution.

..... but what about areas where you get no signal on your phone?

FYI....Android phones don't need cell coverage for the GPS to work. The iPhone does.

Question...the Garmin says it has lifetime traffic updates. How does it get the info? Via bluetooth from a cellphone? If so, wouldn't you also have no update in an area with no coverage?

Garypowell

I don't like Base Camp either as a long time user of Map Source from Garmin. I realized my new RV 760 would not be recognized by my old Map Source I called Garmin. They have always been very helpful. I was giving the following procedure so that the 760 could be used by Map Source. You first have to get to a "hidden" screen":

To get to hidden screen

turn on unit and get it up to main screen with "where to and map"
press volume
press upper right hand screen and hold on the volume screen
scroll down to MTP settings and select

Options:
MTP auto detect is how it was from factory and told faster for map downloads

Mass Storage select this and save...this allows the unit to be seen by map source

It also changes the computer icon screen color to white. When in MTP auto detect it is yellow.

Granted this might not be your problem......your main concern might be in general how Garmin software routes you. I can attest it does not always take the best route. If I am going down a path for today's travels that I am not very familear with I always review it before I start out. On the way to one of our kids houses it always takes us around a corner that is too tight for my liking. So I add a way point such that we go around this problem.

danemayer

Question...the Garmin says it has lifetime traffic updates. How does it get the info? Via bluetooth from a cellphone? If so, wouldn't you also have no update in an area with no coverage?

On edit: for traffic, there's some type of receiver in the power cord. I don't know what technology it's using, but it doesn't require anything from my cell phone.

Garmin updates are downloaded to your computer on demand, as often as quarterly, and transferred to the GPS device via USB cable.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
He is asking about traffic Dan. In my older Garmin the traffic was satellite based as mine was not connected via Bluetooth to anything. Also only places I got traffic updates was major metro areas such as Houston and New Orleans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

He is asking about traffic Dan. In my older Garmin the traffic was satellite based as mine was not connected via Bluetooth to anything. Also only places I got traffic updates was major metro areas such as Houston and New Orleans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
. I've rec'd traffic alerts on mine; never thought about where info came from; assumed it was posted based on my route and from the satellite.

Bohemian

Garmin traffic is a service Garmin buys. It is radio wave based. The power cord has an antenna built into it for traffic broadcasts. It is the bulge that is in the traffic antennas and not in the non-traffic versions. Not all Garmins arte capable of receiving traffic.

Oregon_Camper

Garmin traffic is a service Garmin buys. It is radio wave based. The power cord has an antenna built into it for traffic broadcasts. It is the bulge that is in the traffic antennas and not in the non-traffic versions. Not all Garmins arte capable of receiving traffic.

wow...that is super cool. So, you guys that have these get traffic updates when out of service area. Not that there would be much traffic when you're out of coverage areas...but still cool.

Ron-Cookie

I Love, Love, Love my Garmin 760... I have had it for over 2 years now.... I have my Garmin synced with Garmin's Smartphone Link on my smartphone when traveling... I get weather alerts that way... Summer of 2014 I got a "Severe Thunderstorm Alert" and looking at the Radar on my Garmin (provided by Smartphone Link) I decided to pull over and watch.. It provided me the opportunity to watch a tornado cross the highway about 6 miles ahead... Without this setup (Garmin 760RV and Smartphone Link) it would have crossed about the time I got there! I also like alerts of speed zones and school zones further ahead of me that my other Garmin.... Also it seems to really keep me in the right lane in heavy traffic better than my old Garmin.... I could go on and on about the Garmin 760 but I think you get the drift... Get one... You'll like it!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
FYI....Android phones don't need cell coverage for the GPS to work. The iPhone does.

But when you are in cell coverage, will the GPS in the Android phone use up data plan?

Or is the GPS totally separate and doesn't use data or wifi period?

Ron-Cookie

Yes it uses some data but very little.... I like the ability to check the weather where I am, be alerted of severe weather where I am, and then watch weather radar again where I am.. I figure it saved my butt last year! I have never found that it used not much data at all...

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

But when you are in cell coverage, will the GPS in the Android phone use up data plan?

Or is the GPS totally separate and doesn't use data or wifi period?

Some data is used to update stuff like traffic, police, road hazards...but that can't be much. The GPS usage is free...:)

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
I'm in agreement with Dan. For me, it's just a trust issue. Been with Garmin since 1993 on my boat when there was just cross hairs and a lat/lon for Lake Erie. No height clearance issues and no weight restrictions out there, but when you lose site of land, the trust I built in my Garmin is something I haven't lost.

Going to upgrade to the RV760 LMT before I have to go "all the way" out to Las Vegas next year for the rally.

I've tried the Base Camp, but it's cumbersome, doesn't over write edits to the Garmin and other issues. I use the POI's from the POI Factory, and low clearance POI in addition to taking a look at each state's DOT map that shows construction.

My traffic receiver is 50/50. Sometimes spot on, sometimes its a little outdated. Something has always been there, but whether or not its still there is a crapshoot.

Bohemian

The "Base Camp" was not implemented for the RV models. My guess is that it does not have the length, weight data, and type of vehicle(RV). Can anyone confirm? If so the RV-760 will need to reroute when in RV mode.

I just checked/ Basecamp has an "RV" mode but no input for length, width, height, or weight. Thus, I expect it does not properly route RVs. If that is so a route loaded from the Basecamp is very likely to be rerouted in use. when in RV mode.,

Last edited: