tritron protection

phils51

I just purchased BigHorn 3270 new fifth wheel. I did not purchase the interior leather/exterior protective coating. Dealer wanted $1300. Does anyone have an opinion if this service is worth the cost?

jimtoo

Hi phils51,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Personally I do not think something like that is needed at all. It is just another way for the dealer to make lots money. I'm sure you will get more opinions from our other members also.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Lynn1130

Ever watch the movie "Fargo" when William H Macy keeps pushing the protective package? A big money maker for the dealers "Don't ya know". Not anything that you cannot do yourself with Rejex or a similar product and a good leather conditioner. If you don't want to climb around on the trailer and do your own detailing most detail outfits will use the product you want and do it for you.

GOTTOYS

Usually they will spray bomb the interior with a Scotchguard type product. You can do this yourself for around $10-15.00. On the outside they will wash it and spray on a polymer coating similar to Rejex, Simoniz Ice, Nu Finish and others. They then buff this off. Normally they want to get it back each year to reapply this "special" coating. Sometime they charge for the reapplication, sometimes not. If you read their "warranty" it will usually consist of a partial refund if the product fails to do what they say it will do....Saw lots of these sold when I was in the car business for years. HUGH money maker for the dealer. One store I was at usually included this for no charge with a new car purchase, I guess it wasn't so bad then....If I was buying a new trailer and the dealer I was working with pushed this real hard, I would walk away and buy from someone else....Don

jam20ster

On the last SUV i purchased for my wife i had the leather protector added. I finished up the paperwork on the vehicle and they handed me the keys. I asked him when where they going to spray the leather and how long would it take. He informed me that all the cars on their lot had the leather protector added whether you paid for it or not, but if you didnt pay for it then you received no warranty if damage or stains did occur.

Just food for thought. Not sure if the RV industry does the same or if its added later.

Bohemian

On the last SUV i purchased for my wife i had the leather protector added. I finished up the paperwork on the vehicle and they handed me the keys. I asked him when where they going to spray the leather and how long would it take. He informed me that all the cars on their lot had the leather protector added whether you paid for it or not, but if you didnt pay for it then you received no warranty if damage or stains did occur.

Just food for thought. Not sure if the RV industry does the same or if its added later.

My BIl spent $1.000.00 to have his new granite countertops sealed by experts. I paid $12.00 for a bottle of DOW stone and granite sealer. It took about 1/2 hour. Not a bad return.

WBG

WBGavin
I just purchased BigHorn 3270 new fifth wheel. I did not purchase the interior leather/exterior protective coating. Dealer wanted $1300. Does anyone have an opinion if this service is worth the cost?

My two cents worth is that the leather protection is definitely not worth it and you can get a rally nice wax job for a lot less that $1,300

WBG

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I will be a little more blunt. It's a rip off. The warranty they give you is worthless. They all have a weasel clause and never pay anything. To many years in car dealers and know all about this stuff. $1300 for 1/2 HR of time and $10 worth of material.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Scotchgard on the fabric and Rejex on the exterior. Total cost is about $40 and a LOT of elbow grease. Trace

Slympicins

Do it yourself. There is no real special coating or protectant they use. It's like buying furniture and they want you to buy their special Scotch Guard protectant. It's just a convenient scam.

Happy Camper