Oven Vent Issue

C-Haert

Friends...need some help.

2016 Bighorn 3160EL

The outside oven vent (flap) doesn't open...no matter how much help I provide. Hinges on the bottom look right. Can't find any travel latches...no luck.

Whay at am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

C-Haert
😎

danemayer

I believe there are tabs on the bottom edge that have to be pressed up to open the flap. They have to be pressed pretty hard to release the latch.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do it look like this (click on photos to enlarge, click again to make even bigger)?

ProwlerVent-P1000079.jpg ProwlerVent-P1000081.jpg

If so, push up on the outer edge of the two tabs and it should pop out!

Takes a little bit of finger muscle . . . but that should do it!

Oregon_Camper

......If so, push up on the outer edge of the two tabs and it should pop out!

Mines look like that. Do I push up on the tab where the #1 is pointed or up on the protruding part where the #2 is pointed? Click for bigger image.

Capture11.jpg

Last edited:

C-Haert

Gentlemen.

I pushed so hard on those tabs the other day that I almost bit through my tongue!

I'll get out the ladder and give it another go tomorrow. Shouldn't be this hard.

C-Haert 😎

wdk450

See this thread, post #11: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40998-Range-Hood-Outside-Vent-Flap/page2

danemayer

Maybe this picture (thanks JohnD) will help in case it's not clear where or which way to push.

Attachments

• Microwave Vent Annotated.jpg
    Microwave Vent Annotated.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 50

GETnBYE

I am wondering if everyone is leaving these open after getting it opened? Is there some disadvantage to leaving it open?
we had an awful time also, and thinking of leaving it opened unless we learn of a reason not to.

danemayer

I am wondering if everyone is leaving these open after getting it opened? Is there some disadvantage to leaving it open?
we had an awful time also, and thinking of leaving it opened unless we learn of a reason not to.

Based on prior threads discussing this point, I think most everyone travels with the vent open. Although harder to open, the redesign seems to protect it from wind damage.

It might be worth closing it when in storage over the winter.

GETnBYE

Thanks
Based on prior threads discussing this point, I think most everyone travels with the vent open. Although harder to open, the redesign seems to protect it from wind damage.

It might be worth closing it when in storage over the winter.

wdk450

I can tell you that small nesting birds find the open vent and set up house above your vent fan.

Bones

I guess I should check mine. I left it open all season so far once I opened it. It is kind of a pain in the butt

avvidclif

When parked mine is open maybe a 1/16th of an inch when unlatched and so far no egress by unwanted flying objects.

Gaffer

Mine was extremely hard to open. There was a tech available at the Jackson rally last year who almost gave up before getting it open with him pushing on the buttons while I helped it with a screwdriver. It finally opened and each time since it has been a bit easier.

pegmikef

Two years open and no problems at all. Have been in a lot of different climates and bug/creature environments and have never had an infiltration. I know this for a fact because I just had to replace my microwave/convection oven and the fan and area around it was clean with no evidence of any outside infiltration of weather or critters.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just went outside and took a photo of the vent open so everyone can see what it looks like that way.

This should give a good idea on how to press the tabs to get it open:

ProwlerVent-P1000784.jpg