Slideout support

Peteandsharon

Hello,

I have a set of slide-out supports/stabilizers which I have used with a previously owned travel owner. I am awaiting delivery on a Bighorn 3055 but the dealer told me that Heartland frowns on the use of any type of stabilizer on their slide-outs. Is this the case? Is there concern regarding damage to the slide-out mechanism? Thanks in advance for your response. None

Pete

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I am not sure about the reason for not using them, but I do know that I have read before that it is not a good idea. My concern with using them would be regarding the slight incline of the slide out roof that is part of the design. That keeps water from backing against the seal and allowing it to leak. I would think that it wouldn't take much of a lift, on the outside edge, to allow a leak to occur.
Fred

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The slide out mechanism is made to support the weight of the slide all by itself.

The main reason you do not want to put a support under the slide is, if you should have a failure in your landing gear or the rear stabilizers, the support would cause the slide to be "racked" when the unit dropped. This could cause serious damage to the slide mechanism, possibly bending the slide unit rails...not a good idea!

Peteandsharon

Thanks guys,

Since posting this I have also read a couple of other opinions that seem to agree that it's not a good idea. My previous rig was a travel trailer with a single slideout. The couch and the dinette were in the slideout. I have had occasions when we had visitors where we could have 6-7 people sitting at the couch or dinette. It just seemed to make sense that having the jacks supporting that slide couldn't hurt. I was warned not to torque them too tight since that could obviously cause problems but I never had any issues with it. I guess I can assume that the Bighorn's slides are built to take whatever weight is put in there and I'll retire the jacks to garage. Thanks guys.

pickuphunt

The only person I have seen us these supports is an RV in Pioneer RV park, Port Aransas Tx. He uses them plus other supports under the frame. Why? He makes glass beads in his RV and the supports keeps the unit from 'wiggling' when his wife walks - even though she only weighs 95 lbs. That said, no there is no reason the have these supports. I think they come under the heading of "Solutions to Problems you don't have".

BluegrassMan

If the transport system that your slideouts are built upon are of GOOD quality, which Heartlands ARE, you don't need supports. Years back when slideouts were something new, there were cheap versions in lower lines of RVs, they NEEDED them. Now not so much unless maybe a modest entry level trailer.