The side of my Gateway seems to be oxidizing. The coach is only 2 years old.

martelds

The Martells
Anybody have this problem. It appears my rig is oxidizing. I do live in Arizona, but the rig get's waxed once a year. My Rig is only 2 years old. To me it looks like the color is just coming, but I'm not sure how that can be since the Fiberglass has the pigment in it. I talk to Heartland and from the photos they are stumped. The want me to cut a 2 inch hole and send it in. I'm not going to do that, but maybe someone else has had this problem? I love my RV but this shouldn't happen after only 2 years.

Attachments

• David Martell_1 (1).jpg
    David Martell_1 (1).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 37
  • David Martell_2 .jpg
    David Martell_2 .jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 47

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Re: The side of my Gatway seems to be oxidizing. The coach is only 2 years old.

Arizona sun is mighty powerful. We winter there and I hand wax our rig 3 times a year with high quality marine wax with uv protectant.
Also, not sure where in Arizona you are, but in some areas the water is so full of salt and minerals that most things it touches ends up looking like that.
We spent this summer on the Olympic Peninsula ( Washington state ) where sunshine is a premium and we started to get some oxidation on the front cap that was facing West. A little elbow grease and it's looking new again.
Have you tried cleaning it up and restoring it? Lots of great products out there. Let us know what you find out.

danemayer

I think back on some 2011 models the color-infused gel coat supplied to Heartland had a problem with UV protection that led to fading. If it happened once, I suppose it could happen again. For a couple of years Heartland helped affected owners get their caps painted.

I don't think I'd want to cut a 2" hole in the sidewall either. I guess I'd call back and try to work out some way to get an analysis of the problem area without putting a hole in your trailer.

GOTTOYS

I have a gray 2011 BC. I had to have both front and rear caps painted. You can polish and wax til the Cows come home and this won't fix the problem. I also tried the Zep floor polish coating that many bragged about. It looked nice at first then started to crystalize and flake off. Then it looked worse than ever. Every manufacturer that used a color infused gel coat has had this problem. Many that still use this product still do, or will. I have never seen it happen on the sides...yet. For me, I think the only cure is a new coach with full body paint..or just live with it...Cut a 2' hole in the side??? You must be kidding???? Send it in, then they look at it and say "Yup it's fading, too bad". Good luck. Don