Caulk and sealer for roof

bigdob24

I had to do some work on my Jack Anntenna and have decided to trash it and replace it with the original one.
Need to know the proper sealer caulk for the job that will work with the roof when I remove the Jack and make the change.
Also noticed some cracking caulk joints between the roof and the end cap, what's the right stuff for that?
Do I need a cleaner too.
Im up in Shipshewana so finding the material should be easy.
Thanks

rxbristol

For a sealant use this: Link

To help with the joint use this: Link

The enternabond tape comes in different colors and widths. Use it to seal the cap seams and then use dicor to also seal along the tape edge. You'll never have a leak at those joints.

Use the cleaner they recommend, which I believe is acetone.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For anything on the roof, including the end caps, Dicor self-leveling caulk is most commonly used. Simply wash the roof with Dawn soap (use the blue) and water, and apply the caulk directly over the old once it's dry. I used a plastic paint spatula to smooth the new caulk a little when I redid my roof caulking, but it's not a necessity to do that.

olcoon

Just before we left the national rally in Goshen last June, 3 of us went to Double D Salvage at 121678 CR 34 in Goshen, his phone # is 574-642-3316. They are just down the road from the 4-H Fairgrounds where the rally was held. They are Amish, and it's in their barn beside the house. They had cases of the Dicor self leveling caulk at a very reasonable price, don't remember what it was but all of us bought a few tubes of it. He also sells propane for I think it was $15.00 for a 30 gal. tank. They also have a bunch of items for sale, and from all appearances, it's not the "normal salvage" yard...not parts robbed from junk RV's. Looked like they bought overstock, discontinued items from RV manufactures, dealers, etc. They also had tons of the #2 square headed screws that they use on our rigs, painted white, black, & unpainted.

JohnDar

Do they have cargo doors? Seems the one on my ODS has sucked enough rainwater to start splitting the inner face at the bottom.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do you not like the Jack antenna?

I bought the Jack replacement head and put it on the batwing arm and it blows the batwing away!

I saved the batwing to put back on when we upgrade.

Matter of fact, I had this same Jack antenna on our previous trailer before we got the new Prowler, and put it's batwing back on it before trading it in.

Tundra2084

JohnDar the answer to your question is Yes, they do sell compartment doors there, and IF they don't have the size or color needed they will direct you to another place that has a couple hundred you can look through. We purchased a door the exact size needed from the second place, but for the life of me I can't remember what the name is. I do know that we paid $26 for the compartment door we purchased, saving us over $120 that it would have cost us buying new from dealer. I'm sure someone can tell you the name of the other place when they see this.

JohnDar

JohnDar the answer to your question is Yes, they do sell compartment doors there, and IF they don't have the size or color needed they will direct you to another place that has a couple hundred you can look through. We purchased a door the exact size needed from the second place, but for the life of me I can't remember what the name is. I do know that we paid $26 for the compartment door we purchased, saving us over $120 that it would have cost us buying new from dealer. I'm sure someone can tell you the name of the other place when they see this.

Thanks. Maybe I'll start a new thread with a titled related to the doors so it might get seen easier.

olcoon

John, glad Tundra2984 knew, as I didn't, we didn't have that much time to look around. I do know they had a ton of entry doors of various sizes & styles.