need help finding tires for the Ram

Bobby A

I will try to keep this short as possible, but I need help with the experts on this forum. My OEM tires on my 07 Ram were LT265/70R17, I replaced them less than 3 years ago with the Hankook LT 285/70R17 because of the increased weight of 3750 compared to the originals that were 3195, BTW consumers Report rated these Hankooks a good tire. I only have about 24K miles on these tires and the one passenger side front the tread is separating and the others look as thought they are starting to crack (dry rot). It seems as though and correct me if I'm wrong that according to Tire Rack there is no more tire manufactures that have that weight rating on the 285/70R17 tires, not even the Hankooks anymore. I've read a couple posts on this forum that many of you have mentioned the Nitto Terra Grappler 2's and the Dura Grappler but they don't have the weight rating in the 285/70R70 either, however They do have a good weight rating in the 18's. So my question to you tire guys are 1- do you guys know of a good tire in the 285 series tires with the 3750 weight rating ?? And #2, do you guys know if I could replace my wheels with an 18 inch wheel and move up to the 18 inch tire with a higher weight rating, I think I seen the Terra Grappler was around 4000 weight rating with a 285/70R18. Sorry for the long post but I'm getting tired of having to replace tires every 2 or 3 years with less than 30K miles on the tires. Thank you in advance. Bobby A

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

I am just curious what you are towing that needs that kind of weight handling? Thats 7500 pounds per axel without the dual wheels? I have had great luck with the Michelin LTX M&S 2 but they are expensive and "only" rated as E range so they only get the 3195.

Bobby A

The last time I had the Bighorn weighed the pin weight was 3200 pounds, and the guy that did the measurments at the rally a few years back said if it wasn't for my heavier load range tires I would be over weight. My Ram is single rear wheel. I think I feel comfortable with the heavier load range tire anyway, but can't continue to buy tires every couple years either. Thanks, Bobby A

SLO

Just installed Nitto Dura Grappler 285/70 R17 3750 lbs. on my 2012 Ram 3500. Had good reviews and I'm very happy with them. They also have a 285/75 R17 with 3970 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gaffer

I run Toyo mud terrain tires on my 3500. Even with the big open tread, I get 50k miles out of them.

Bobby A

Just installed Nitto Dura Grappler 285/70 R17 3750 lbs. on my 2012 Ram 3500. Had good reviews and I'm very happy with them. They also have a 285/75 R17 with 3970 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now that is the information I'm looking for !! Thanks so much, I just seen on tireBuyer.com they are $221.99 a tire, I will look at the local tire shops around Port Richey Florida and see if I can do any better. Thanks again for that valuable information.

Bobby A

Well, after driving around all morning, I found a local tire shop hear in Port Richey Florida that came real close to the price that tirebuyer.com had given me on the Nitto Dura Grappler LT 285/70R17. I prefer to buy local and support the local economy as long as the price is close. I hope I get better results with the Nitto's than the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I pulled my paper work and only got 28K on the first set and 24K on the second set, its time to move on and find a better tire, the problem is that there is limited tires available in the size I need with the load rate of 3750 that I prefer. I will have the Nitto's installed tomorrow afternoon. Thanks everyone for your comments

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I am running the Nitto Crosstek on mine and have 20000 miles. They look as good as the day I put them on and are quiet on the road for noise. As of now I would buy them again or another Nitto brand.

Bohemian

I am using the new Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventurer with Kevlar Prograde tires. They are one of three tires I know that are all-season, and winter snow, and mud rated. They have performed very well for me. Great all around tire that has met every challenge.

Bobby A

I'm just doing a follow up to this thread that I started, someone posted that the Nitto tires had a recall, I do not see that post anymore so someone must have deleted it. I have been meaning to answer that post but have forgotten until now. I talked to a Nitto sales rep and it was correct that there was a recall back in 2014 from tires that were manufactured in 2011, all those tires were removed from dealer shelves. He said the recall was NOT for the same tire size that I purchase. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone looking to move to a tire that had a higher load rate than the standard 3195 pounds. There is not many tires/ manufactures to choose from with that size and load rate so I wanted to make sure everyone had correct info. I will post back many months from now on this thread when I have several miles on these new Nitto's.
Blessings,
Bobby A