Changing which thermostat controls the furnace.

Imurphy

On my 2016 road warrior 420, the bedroom thermostat controls the furnace.

we prefer our room cool. This results in the rest of the trailer being fairly cold. I want the living room thermostat to control the furnace. Any ideas what I need to do to make that happen? Or wiring diagrams so I can figure it out myself.

danemayer

If you were to change the wiring to use the living room thermostat, wouldn't you still want the bedroom to be cool, just as you now have it? Moving the thermostat won't make the living room warmer without making the bedroom warmer too.

Warm air rises, so if your bedroom is higher, it'll usually be warmer than the living room, regardless of where the thermostat is located or how you set the thermostat.

A 2nd heat source for the living room might be a better idea.

Imurphy

We have been doing okay with blocking the bedroom vent. And closing the bedroom door to the bathroom. And opening the bathroom door to the hall. I want to furnace to heat the main trailer. As that's where the kids are. And it needs to cycle to heat the basement to prevent freezing. We almost always have a window at the headboard open a tad. Even below freezing.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The only way for the Living room A/C to control the Furnace is to move and/or reroute the furnace power wires from the Bedroom A/C control module to the Living Room A/C control module. The A/C control module is usually accessed by removing the A/C cover from the top of the roof. The next step would be to change the dip switches on each control board to match what items are attached to the control modules and then reboot the thermostats so the thermostats can learn the settings of the dip switches. If you do not have the installation manuals for your A/C's and thermostats they can be downloaded from Dometic. If you have a laminated roof with polystyrene insulation fishing wires in the ceiling or roof is nearly impossible. If you have a roof that is not laminated and has fiberglass insulation it will be doable but super easy. The fishing of the furnace wires may most time consuming of the whole project.

Imurphy

Sounds like it would be easier to just install a heating only t stat and abandon using the dometic controller. Running new control wire from the furnace to a new t stat location would be quite easy

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk