Generator Addition

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Hi,

My Golden Gate was not preped for a generator. Can it still be preped? Can a dealer do the prep? Should I consider a portable genset?

Thanks,
seamo

Cheryl

Yes it still can be prepped. My husband (an electrician) did ours. You would have to contact your dealer and see if they have anyone qualified. We saw another Golden Gate at a different dealership that had it already done. Nelson put our controls in the same spot the factory used.

jbeletti

Seamo/Cheryl,

I have copied your Generator thread over here to the Electrical section while also leaving it on the Ask the Factory forum for factory input.

Cheryl,

Can you get with your husband on what he did to prep your coach for a generator and do a small write up on it?

Sort of along these lines:

1. Tapped into coach electrical panel ...here..
2. Installed xxx type of transfer switch ...here...
3. Used ...xxx... size wiring
4. Ran generator wiring to ...this point...
5. Used ...this type... of generator connection

Like Seamo, I too (and perhaps others) are curious/interested in adding a generator connection. Right now, I have a single Honda EU2000i portable generator. I've been thinking about a project of installing my own gen-prep with a manual transfer switch and weather-proof box at the king-pin with a female receptacle in it. Then I would fashion a jumper to go from that weather-proof receptacle to the generator. The jumper would be of a length that I could use the generator in the bed of the truck while hitched or use it on the ground away from the trailer a few feet.

Thanks for considering it.

Jim

Cheryl

I'll get him to sit down with me and go over what all he did step by step as soon as he gets some free time. Between work and helping our son fix his truck, he doesn't have a lot of that right now. I do know that it didn't take him that long to do it.