How to figure what connector is which for the roof antenna??

Diamondjim

I am sure this is not the first time this question has been asked, but - I am apparently dumb as a rock on how my 2011 Greystone 32RL is wired for TV reception. Nothing inside seems to be labeled and I've tried everything. To compound the problem, the remote for our Sharp Aquos 32" TV is MIA. We picked up the unit Wednesday and we purchased it, not realizing it was a consignment unit. While it came with a ton of extras (above and beyond) that the PO had installed, working without a remote is a pain.
Anyway, I understand the booster must be on in the bedroom for the signal to be strong enough at the entertainment center. There are two unmarked TV connectors behind the TV set. Have tried both. Done a CH search for digital signal. Still have wonderful black and white snow...... NO, NO!
If everything were normal, does the roof antenna provide a signal to the RL entertainment center area?
I've looked at the on line schematics as to how the signal is split etc. but we're still in the dark with no TV.
I asked for a digital scan, it found several, but the TV comes on with Channel 2 in analog mode only, and no picture. Ch 2 is NBC out of Buffalo 24 miles away, but zip. Am unable to change channel with button on side of TV.
I'm in a hole, digging deeper. Too many issues to get resolved easily.
Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom shared.

danemayer

Hi Diamondjim,

Yes, to watch over-the-air TV, the signal booster has to be ON. And one of the coax connections in the living room should be carrying that signal and be connected to the antenna coax connector on the TV.

The TV has to be set to AIR (not cable), and then a channel scan gets run.

If none of that works, you should check a few things:

- look at the fuses in your fusebox while the signal booster is ON. If the fuse is blown, an LED in the fuse box should be ON. You'd expect that if you had a blown fuse, the light at the signal booster wouldn't come on, but it may.

- check the coax connectors in the living room. You're looking for loose connectors, bad crimps, strands of ground shield that might be touching the center conductor.

- If you have a long piece of coax, try connecting directly from the signal booster to the TV. If that works, there could be a problem in the basement storage area or in the run to the living room.

GWRam

If your Sharp is like a lot of TVs these days you will need a remote to get into some if not all the menus. Most universal remotes will work, just verify it has coding for your Sharp unit.

Diamondjim

Thanks for all of your encouragements.............just home from a full day of travel and funeral in the Buffalo area.
Danemayer - your last comment was the winner. PO did have coax cable, and it was the answer. It allowed me to be confident that if it was to work, I could get the information entered into the TV using information found online, and the buttons on the TV.
Awesome, we are only here in NY for a couple more days, having just purchased the Greystone, and loaded our belongs into it and will head to our southern home in FLA for the next 8 months.
DW will have something to watch tonight, and a great picture it is!
Great groups here, will have lots more questions, guaranteed!