Repair of side

Grandma

Our 2010 Heartland BH has a crack on the side. Live in Lapeer, MI (20 miles east of Flint). Looking for suggestions on where to take for repair. Would prefer NOT General RV in Birch Run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Depending on where and what caused the crack. I would 1st call HL service, have your VIN# handy and take some pix you can email to them. You may have some frame flex and maybe HL will help you. Anyway start with HL service.

Garypowell

I have a slight crack in the corner of the side where the slide cut out is. Best guess they put the D seal holding screw too close to the edge. Took 2.5 years to show up.

Bought repair kit from west marine and am in the processes of fixing myself. So far so good.

MikeR

I've used A&S Rv in Auburn Hills, MI for some fiberglass and paint repair in the past. It was on a previously owned travel trailer; They get very good reviews.

Bob&Patty

Fixing the crack is probably a simple process....but...you need to find out what the root cause is.

Ellie

A small crack in the fiberglass in the bottom corner of the bedroom slide is what alerted me to something amiss. The next year, a crack appeared in the opposite corner and at that point I contacted Heartland with photos, VIN number, etc. We bought our 2008 3670RL Bighorn new, so we were still given warranty for the frame flex issue that caused the cracks. Although we had to make a very long trip from Saskatchewan to Elkhart, I cannot stress enough what wonderful treatment we received, and the expertise that the factory people showed in repairing our unit. I would suggest you take the advice of other posters and contact Heartland asap.

Grandma

Thanks everyone for their advice. We have contacted HL and are waiting for it to stop raining so we can take pics and send them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The reviews I looked at for General RV, Birch Run are over 5 years old, yet they are all highly rated. Personally, I've never had bad service from them and they fixed my frame problem back in 2009. I know Bud's Trailer in Burton is highly regarded by some friends of mine with SOB's, but getting into his place with a big 5'er may be an exercise. I do go there for some parts and accessories, though, since it's pretty close to me. Often, though, they have to order parts for you.

For "Grandma," if you are looking for a wide assortment of parts available off the shelf, try Richfield Trailer in Flint. They are pretty well stocked on all things trailer. I'm in Grand Blanc.

Bob&Patty

Interesting post Gary, I just looked at new Socal members BH. The outside wall at the left top of the LR slide opening has a crack starting at a screw that was installed by a dealer to hold a Vertical "D" molding in place. So, I will contact him and pass this along.