What you never want for your RV!

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday afternoon I was W/B I-40 on the east side of Memphis, TN I was In the center lane. On the E/B side of I-40 was a major accident scene. A W/B car in the left lane in front of me was not paying attention and did not notice the traffic in front of him was stopping. He put on his brakes and went on the inside shoulder, headed towards the concrete median and slammed on his brakes and spun clockwise about 120 degrees and was across the left lane and then came into the center lane and collided with our Landmark.

In the collision the car took a big chunk out of the front left wheel. Tennessee DOT Motorist Assist helped me put the spare wheel and tire on the front left wheel. We then noticed that the disc hub was wobbling. I then called Good Sam Road Service and they dispatched a mobile truck repair service which arrived about one hour later. I had him remove the wheel and tire to check on the wheel bearings, the bearings were crushed by the collision. I had a spare set of bearings, races and seals in the trailer, so he replaced and repacked them. I then noticed on the Mor-ryde IS that front left axle was out of alignment. We got back on the road after being on the side of the road for five and one-half hours, not knowing the extent of the alignment. Fortunately it was towable. We drove to a West Memphis campground. Before we drive home to Dallas, I want to have a truck alignment shop check and attempt an alignment adjustment.

The other inconvenience is that the ODS cargo door and frame were caved in so I cannot access the UDC for water and the wastewater valves. Attached are photos of the damage.

Carol and I were not injured, so we are very thankful for that.

Attachments

• DSC08519.JPG
    DSC08519.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC08516.JPG
    DSC08516.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 421
  • DSC08513.JPG
    DSC08513.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC08510.JPG
    DSC08510.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 419
  • DSC08507.JPG
    DSC08507.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 426

RoadJunkie

I think I'm going to start carrying a spare set of bushings, I've heard of others that have had them seize while traveling.

dlw930

I'm sorry your Landmark was damaged by the less than attentive driver, but thankful neither Carol or you were injured. Thanks for sharing. This could happen to any of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Glad everyone is a-ok and sorry about your rig. Hopefully they charged the other driver.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Good to hear that you were not hurt. Hopefully you can get your rig fixed properly and get back on the road.

happykraut

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least neither you nor Carol were hurt. Sure hope they can fix your rig back to a like new condition.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
So glad to hear you folks are OK. However to see your damaged Landmark is heartbreaking and a wake up to pay attention for the other drivers who are not. A sad ending to a long summer long journey which was so successful. Good driving Terry.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Ouch!! Things can get so ugly so quick on high traffic volume highways. Glad for no personal injuries but now the headaches start getting through the repair and insurance claims processes. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

Glad y'all weren't injured. We've traveled that specific area several times and it can make for white knuckle driving.

jbeletti

Terry - got your email. SO sorry to hear of this. Thankful you and Carol are both safe. Great that the truck wasn't hit too.

You have a LOT of work ahead of you. Knowing your rig as I do, you have a lot of personal-touch work to redo on that side too. Really heart-breaking.

Hoping you can have the alignment checked/adjusted on the IS and limp home to Dallas and get the adjusters out and start working on it. Looks like at least 1 tire/wheel, lots of j-wrap, baggage doors, maybe LevelUp leg, maybe IS fix and who knows what is unseen.

Wishing you all the best my friend.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear you and Carol are not hurt. I hate driving with the DWHUA (driving with head up a..) people on the roads. Hopefully you will be able to get things repaired in a timely manner.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Glad you weren't injured. Best of luck on speedy repairs.

Heading back to the OC today. This post will make me extra alert. Trace

pegmikef

Thankfully neither of you were hurt and are both ok. We are sorry about the damage to your rig because it is a beautiful trailer. I have never liked that stretch of I-40, even when I was not towing. If it wasn't construction then there were always other problems.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We are very glad that no one was injured. The trailer can be repaired but it may affect your plans for awhile. I hope that you can get it repaired enough to limp back home. Good luck friends. Travel safe!

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Oh wow - what an adrenaline rush. Glad ya'll are OK. We also saw an accident similar to what ya'll were involved in heading into Atlanta last year. We were about 10 vehicles back when a hwy maintenance truck on the shoulder of the interstate decided to enter the highway, sending a black colored sedan across 5 lanes of traffic, hitting the center wall and bounced back into the 3rd lane. About 6 other cars were either were hit by the sedan or hit each other trying to avoid hitting the car. Thank goodness we had disc brakes installed on our LM cuz it stopped us on a dime before hitting the sedan. We pulled over to see if anyone needed help until the highway patrol arrived. How scary.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everyone for your cares and concerns. Your comments make me proud to be a part of the Heartland Family.

I spent six hours on the phone today contacting the insurance company; most of the time was trying to locate a place that would be able to do a Mor-Ryde alignment on our trailer. I located a place in Memphis that will be able to do the alignment tomorrow.

I was able to hook up the city water and tested the operation of the wastewater valves through the bottom of the UDC. I then covered the gaps around the ODS cargo door and the bottom of the UDC with duct tape and plastic sheeting.

rxbristol

So sorry you had to experience this. If I may ask, who is your insurance carrier and how are they treating you?