Where near Chicago?

fivernine

Okay, all you Chicagoans, I need to attend a trade show next week at McCormick and would like to haul up instead of flying this time. My wife and I want to spend a little time (and money) seeing the sites. Are there any secret campgrounds nearer to Chicago than what I see in the major directories? They have great listings, but I have found some nice unlisted campgrounds actually in the suburbs of other cities that didn't need to advertise, but were handy to downtown. It would be nice to stay a bit closer to the city. Maybe even near the lake? Okay, maybe the lake is asking too much...

Jim Beletti, you're a Chicagoan aren't you?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I was up there for over a year...and never did find anything that wasn't listed...or that was closer than 50 miles.

There is one RV park in Yorkville. Contact me off line about this park. And. a little further up the road from Yorkville is a really nice Jellystone Park. Everything else in the area is a long drive into Chicago.

Peteandsharon

As Lefty said, campgrounds in the Chicago area are few and far between. I'm not sure what you need in terms of services but I would recommend Illinois State Beach Park which is a nice state park right on Lake Michigan. It is about 40+ miles north of Chicago, just south of the Illinois/Wisconsin state line. Only has electric at each campsite but you can fill with water and it has a couple of dump stations. Hope this helps.
Pete

fivernine

Yeow! I didn't expect this. I guess I'll camp outside and drive the distance for a few days. Thanks everybody for your responses. I wanted to be really sure before I became a Chicago commuter.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
You can stay in the Yorkville area at the Yogi Bear http://www.campjellystone.com/illinois-campgrounds.html. Take the bus to the train station and glide right into Chicago on the train. Parking, downtown, is going to cost you $25+ a day.

The park-n-ride for Yorkville is free. The shuttle bus to the station, in Aurora, is $1.50. Buy a pass for the train and save some major bucks. The people on these trains have been taking the same one for years. They play cards and gossip all the way in. They have known the conductor for YEARS. It's like a big family. I did enjoy my train rides.

If you are going to commute on a daily basis, that's the way I did for months. I got where I enjoyed the train ride. Take your coffee a book and enjoy the ride!

PS. DO NOT STAY AT THE CAMPGROUND IN YORKVILLE!!!!
http://www.hideawaylakes.com/

These are the closest campgrounds that stay open all year round the majority of the area has seasonal camping only. Both have monthly rates.

Last edited:

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
We stayed at Windy City CG and we walked to the train station. It is south of the city.

Heavers

There is a nice KOA park in Union, IL. From there you can get a train in Crystal Lake to take you into the city. Don't know if this would work for you or not.

mamaof3

Looking for CG near Starved Rock SP

I am looking for campgrounds near Starved Rock State park - anyone know of any? I have read posts about Hi-Tide, but they don't sound too favorable?

Any ideas?

jbeletti

mama,

There are several in the area. Some along the Illinois river and some up on 80.

On 80 there is Hickory Hollow and just north of there is the Peru KOA.

IN Marseilles there is Illini State Park. We were supposed to be there this weekend but our friends canceled and we're at Pearl Lake CG in South Beloit, IL instead. Marseilles has other CGs too.

Of course, there is always the CG at Starved Rock State Park. Stayed there in a pop-up in 2003 (the beginning!).

Good luck,

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As Jim mentioned KOA LaSalle/Peru on Rt. 2 in Utica There's also Tiki RV Park in LaSalle. I've stayed at Starved Rock as well a looooong time ago. Never stayed at either of the other two. There was an RV Park across the road from Starved Rock but they weren't Motorcycle friendly so we looked the other way.