Progressive Surge Protector for BH 3270RS

'Lil Guy'

About to order a 50A SP from progressive. Is there a benefit, other than theft, for having the HW unit installed? Or, will you get the same protection with the portable one? Like to decide before I pick up rig. If I hard wire it, I'd like to do it at inspection when it's opened up. Trying to decipher posts, it seems like it wouldn't matter and is just a personal thing. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi Frank,

The hardwired version will protect against a couple of additional failure scenarios from internal components between the power cord and the EMS. If you have generator prep, for example, putting it after the transfer switch would protect you from a transfer switch failure.

The downside of the hardwired version is that it's harder to take it with you if you change coaches.

If you get the portable version, you'll want to consider some type of cable lock to keep it from walking, although I don't think I've ever heard of anyone losing one.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just started locking mine but had it a year and a half prior to and it never walked. Maybe I was lucky I don't know but I got portable so I could move it easily when I am ready to upgrade and I don't have to open up rig to check monitor I just plug it in and let it go through its outputs while I stand in front of it before I unhook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have had my hard wired EMS in two coaches now. It is not a difficult job to swap it out. Rather than cut the existing wire per the instructions I added a 5 foot piece of cable, that is what made the swap out easy.
One of the benefits of the hard wired unit is that you can get a remote readout, install it in your coach and you can easily monitor what is going on.

Peace
Dave

justafordguy

I agree, the install/removal should be easy if you don't cut the original wires and the remote monitor panel is super handy.

'Lil Guy'

Andy, you have a good point with the upgrade thought. This thing is only a little over 35 feet long.lol Lots of room left at the 2 feet at a time.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Getting a hardwired unit installed during your PDI will probably cost you a fair amount and unless you're adamant about where it goes, it will probably end up right behind the breaker panel or under the anti-siphon valve for the tank flusher. It's simple enough to do it yourself at your convenience.

pegmikef

I have used a portable one for two plus years and never had a problem with it walking away. I make a judgement call on locking it. For example if I am in a sparsely populated public park (COE, State, National), I usually keep it locked as we often leave the rig unattended to sight see or other side trips. I have never heard of anyone losing one as a result of theft.

dlw930

I just started using the plastic box with a padlock on my portable EMS. I don't think it prevents theft, just makes it a little more difficult. At least I know it can't just walk off. For the $14 I spent at CW I guess I get at least $14 worth of peace of mind.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I use the portable 50amp Progressive EMS. It has a metal clasp around the top of the unit. I just lock it to the electric box. Works great. Takes an extra 10 seconds to hook up. I also had a portable 30amp Surge Guard on our last 2 rigs. No issues.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use the portable EMS unit. I use a bicycle cable lock to lock it to the pedestal but there are many times I don't lock it. Have not had any issue with it growing legs and walking off. I prefer the portable one so I can hook it up to the pedestal to check the operation of the pedestal before unhooking. If there is an issue I can get another site before even backing or pulling into a site. You cannot do that with on fixed one. Also if you have a problem with it you do not have to disassemble the electrical circuit to send it back for warranty repair. I have had to have mine replaced twice in the last 10 years due to defective park electric damaging the EMS. (I would rather it get damaged than my rig) The Progressive EMS has a lifetime warranty.

donr827

Like jmgratz, I have owned the portable for 10 years and used it on three different trailers. Before I even back into a site I will plug it into the pedestal to check the electric. One time when I was having a problem with the electric I unplugged the EMS and took it over to a site a row away and tried it there. Helped me to find the problem.
Don

'Lil Guy'

Man, just when I had my mind made up on the HW unit, all these posts have me reconsidering. So the real benefit is to be able to check the source before hookup and you could do that with a meter I believe. I kind of like the idea of one less thing to stow and retrieve. Come to think of it, it doesn't take a lot of effort to plug it into the pedestal. I've doing it with my portable 30A unit for 2 years. Not sure which one but I'll decide this evening and order it. Thanks for the replies.

'Lil Guy'

Does anyone know where the power cord junction box is located on the BH3270RS? I assume that is where you would need to tie into the wiring with the HW unit. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rather than that, disconnect the feed into your breaker panel and connect those wires to the input side of the suppressor. Then use a length of 6-4 ga. Stranded cable to connect the output side to the breaker panel. Don't cut the original cabling, though. That way if you ever have need to remove the unit, you can reconnect the cord to the panel again.

Rschremp

Better with the progressive 329.00 version or the $129.00 version (less complicated)???

avvidclif

The cheaper one is only surge protection. The higher priced one will disconnect the rv if it sees a problem. Neither is complicated it's just the level of protection offered.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Better with the progressive 329.00 version or the $129.00 version (less complicated)???
It depends on what you want out of it and your budget.
I don't know, but maybe "less complicated" also mean less features?
With something like the LCHW50 and remote you can see what your line voltages are, amp draw and any fault error codes without leaving your coach.
I find that to be pretty handy.
Only you can decide what is right for you.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can read and follow instructions, cut a wire and turn a screwdriver it is a pretty easy DIY.
Well, it might not be that easy, but it is not a difficult job.

Peace
Dave