Ongoing kitchen tap issue, help?

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
When we first got our BH, the kitchen tap squealed like a pig. We brought it back to the dealer a couple of weeks later but they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't find the problem. A couple of months ago, I went to turn on the faucet and no water came out. I thought it might just be an air trap so I ran the water in the bathroom, tried the kitchen again and it worked. The past couple of months that problem has gotten worse and worse so now it is one out of five times it happens. Turning on the bathroom tap no longer helps, I have to pump it up and down about 10 times. It sounds like a valve may be rattling around loose in there? On the upside, the faucet is now quiet and no longer squealing, lol.
Any ideas for a fix??? Lizzy

Does your faucet have a valve to go from center flow to sprayer? I found that sometimes the rocker does not move completely which blocks the water flow. If the rocker breaks it could be the rattle you hear. Have you tried to remove the aerator section and cleaning it? there is a flat on the nozzle that allows you to unscrew the section

rjr6150

I guessing you have a single handle faucet. If so is try turing to the cold side and then the hot. Is it this way on both sides. If so I would guess maybe the diverter is plugged or broken. the single handles are fairly easy to take apart having been a plumber for 25 years. If need be email me and I can walk you through taking is apart. Just need to know the brand.

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
duffer, I have removed the aerator and cleaned it which didn't help. I havent taken it apart yet to find the problem.

rjr, it doesnt seem to matter whether I try from the hot or cold side, fast or slow. It is the single handle design and I have no idea what brand, it came with our 2008 BH. I will try and find out the brand because I could use the help.

Thanks to you both,,, Lizzy

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
Apparently whining about it was the magic fix. Two days after writing my post it has fixed itself, it is really silent and works every time for the first time since Sept 21/08 when we bought it, lol. Thank you Duffer and Rj,,, Lizzy

linuxkidd

We have a similar issue in our Landmark... but it only occurs when no water has been run for several minutes, and we quickly open the kitchen faucet. Supply water pressure seems not to have any affect..

The cure for us: Open the kitchen faucet EXTREMELY slow when this is observed. Works every time.

Note: I'm not saying this is proper operation.. just passing along our work around.

My take on the problem: Probably a valve left in the base for a separate sprayer ( even though the faucet on our unit pulls out to be the sprayer ). Quickly opening the handle causes a high pressure difference across that valve and the valve closes ( as if to send water to the sprayer ). When we open it slowly, it allows the pressure to bleed off without actuating that valve. <- MY THEORY ONLY... Could be completely wrong!

Hope this helps...
LK

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't know if Heartland has changed the brand of faucets since our 07 but I had to completely remove the fixture from the sink and disassemble it from the bottom to get to the restriction device. This is accessed by removing the 3 screws and removing the brass base from the bottom. You will know what it is when you see it because it will be gunked up with calcium and other junk even though I have always filtered our water. It's a PITA to get to. Once I removed the restriction device, it worked like a charm. Great pressure and the spray function is great as well. It's been a year and a half since I did the fix so I don't remember all the details. I wish I had taken pictures.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hey guys...just discovered what causes this. There is a tiny white "valve" in the end of the spray hose. Follow the hose under the sink...it comes back up and connects at a fitting to a line coming down from the faucet. Disconnect here and remove the valve from the end of the hose...stopped all the problems and now we have great water pressure.

The only down side...the spray function will not shut off when you turn the water off...when water is turned back on, will still be in spray mode...we just use the on/off button on top of the faucet! Great to finally have some pressure...and no more mysterious on/off issues!!