Input on moving from 2500 to 3500

Garypowell

RESOLVED Input on moving from 2500 to 3500

Linda and I have started to talk and look at trucks. Our current 2008 2500 diesel is getting a little tired. It was plenty enough truck for our last rig but with a 3,000 pound pin weight (and other stuff) on the new 3010RE we have just had to put in new springs and damaged the seals on the differential. Love the truck but with the fact that we think we have another 10 years of our kind of travel a new truck is going to have to happen sometime.....why not now.

I have been looking at 3500 Chevy Diesels (we have had the other brands but like Chevy the best) with SRW. Don't want to ignite a SRW vs. DRW debate as we have always been happy with SRW.

I am curious to get input from those who have moved from a 2500 SRW to a 3500 SRW if you were satisfied with the move.....and what your experience has been. From the book this will take us from a 2,800 pound cargo rating (as you can see too small) to close to 4,000 pound which will handle the pin plus the hitch and diesel tank we have.

Moving also from extended to Crew Cab with standard box since BH will work fine with this so the wheel base will be longer too....maybe 10 inches.

Curious about rideability (both with the rig and without) in moving to a little longer wheel base and heavier load frame....what I have been looking at is the 11,100 GVWR option.

There are no 2015's in the country like I want. The biggest problem is I really don't want/need 4 wheel drive and the ones that are left are outfitted like this....and no one is willing to do much about the price....at least yet. If I understand the 2016's won't be built until Mid-October and no one seems to know when prices/options and ordering ability will happen.

I look forward to others experience who have made this move.

Thanks,

Last edited:

justafordguy

Although I'm not real familiar with the new Chevys I do know that there is no actual mechanical/physical difference between the 250 and 350 SRW Ford trucks so they should ride/handle exactly the same if they are equipped the same. Also I think that on any truck, increasing the wheelbase will make it more comfortable to tow with but will probably increase the turning radius.

Bones

Although I'm not real familiar with the new Chevys I do know that there is no actual mechanical/physical difference between the 250 and 350 SRW Ford trucks so they should ride/handle exactly the same if they are equipped the same. Also I think that on any truck, increasing the wheelbase will make it more comfortable to tow with but will probably increase the turning radius.
yeah The longer wheel base does increase the turning radius but it is not as bad on the SRW because you can cut the corner a little closer

What I found going from my 2005 F250 FX4 Extended Cab Diesel Short Box SRW to a 2011 F350 FX4 Extended Cab Diesel Short Box SRW was not that much difference in Tow capacity for the Ford at that time.
This was in Sept of 2010.
I did not, at that time, want a DRW.
I decided to go with a 2011 F350 FX4 Crew Cab Diesel Long Box DRW and I have never regretted it.
I have a tow capacity of almost 22,000# enough for any future trailer upgrade.
Don't put blinders on yourself by saying you want to stay with an SRW or Chevy.
Look at everything out there and also what you may do in the future when you buy your truck.
You may buy something to small for a future upgrade and need to buy another truck later.
I am extremely happy with the truck I have, and more that happy with my decision.
My trailer weighs in at 15,600#, and if I decide to buy a new bigger trailer I still have enough truck capacity to do that.

Hockster

roaddog28

Linda and I have started to talk and look at trucks. Our current 2008 2500 diesel is getting a little tired. It was plenty enough truck for our last rig but with a 3,000 pound pin weight (and other stuff) on the new 3010RE we have just had to put in new springs and damaged the seals on the differential. Love the truck but with the fact that we think we have another 10 years of our kind of travel a new truck is going to have to happen sometime.....why not now.

I have been looking at 3500 Chevy Diesels (we have had the other brands but like Chevy the best) with SRW. Don't want to ignite a SRW vs. DRW debate as we have always been happy with SRW.

I am curious to get input from those who have moved from a 2500 SRW to a 3500 SRW if you were satisfied with the move.....and what your experience has been. From the book this will take us from a 2,800 pound cargo rating (as you can see too small) to close to 4,000 pound which will handle the pin plus the hitch and diesel tank we have.

Moving also from extended to Crew Cab with standard box since BH will work fine with this so the wheel base will be longer too....maybe 10 inches.

Curious about rideability (both with the rig and without) in moving to a little longer wheel base and heavier load frame....what I have been looking at is the 11,100 GVWR option.

There are no 2015's in the country like I want. The biggest problem is I really don't want/need 4 wheel drive and the ones that are left are outfitted like this....and no one is willing to do much about the price....at least yet. If I understand the 2016's won't be built until Mid-October and no one seems to know when prices/options and ordering ability will happen.

I look forward to others experience who have made this move.

Thanks,
My wife and I made the change from a Dodge Ram 2500 to a Dodge Ram 3500 dually. We had been using our 2500 for over eight years pulling our Cyclone 3210. After making a 3600 mile trip from California to Iowa towing our Cyclone with the 3500 , I concluded that our 3500 is safer handling, better braking and better overall stability than our 2500 ever was. Your Bighorn 3010 RE is similar in size and weight as our Cyclone 3210. No matter if is Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet towing the heavier fifth wheelers is much better with a 3500 or bigger truck. Now a days trailers have more weight with multiple slides and increased accessories. Ten years ago a 2500 would be ok. Now I would buy at least a 3500.

Good luck,
Howard

GOTTOYS

We went from a 2010 Dodge Ram short box to a 2015 Chevrolet 3500 Crew cab long box dually last Winter. I am very happy with the change both the Chevrolet part and the long box dually part. Because of the longer wheelbase I think the ride is as good or even better even though it has much more load carrying capacity. After driving it for a few weeks the dually part is no longer an issue. I have never parked around other cars/trucks when shopping, don't want the door dings, so that is not a factor. In my neck of the woods you can't buy a 2wheel drive. Nobody will stock them. If they order one you have to pay a good chunk down to get them to even order it as they just don't sell and the dealer will be stuck with it. I wouldn't be afraid to buy a 2015 4wd if that's all you can find. It will be cheaper for sure than a 2016 and you will get your money back when you sell it. Much better resale. JMHO...Don

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We went from an '02 GMC 2500 4WD to a 2010 Ram 3500 2WD dually which is exactly what I wanted. I have always had a long bed 4 door truck but when we went truck shopping, I specified what I wanted and got it. I am very satisfied with my truck and if (doubtful) I ever get another truck, it will be another Dodge.

Kbvols

Hi Gary!
I went from a 2001 Chevy CC 2500 to a 2014 Chevy CC SRW 3500 last year. Both were/are 4wd. Since both were CC there is no noticeable difference in manuverability. The 2014 is a little taller than the 2001. I like the additional height when driving it's a bit of a PIA when reaching in the bed but nothing an inexpensive collapsible step stool won't cure.

The ride of the 3500 is much stiffer than the 2500 which is a positive when towing. The extra stiffness unloaded is mainly noticed when on really rough roads which for us seem to be in our local town. Normal highways you hardly notice. In my opinion the stability towing with the 3500 is much much better than the 2500.

The biggest thing though is just the overall performance of the 14 vs 01. I knew the HP had increased over the years with the duramax but didn't expect as much of an impact. The exhaust brake is an awesome addition also.

Overall I have absolutely no regrets going from 2500 to 3500. I have room to move up to larger heavier trailer if I choose which is an additional benefit. It was nice to hear when we weighted at Goshen that your well under on payload capacity which we were told was certainly not the norm. And the benefit of letting the DW know that is why I wanted a 3500 vs 2500. The challenge when I was looking was just finding a 3500.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I love my GMC C/C L/B DRW 4WD. I looked a 2016 GMC 2 days ago. Lots of interior up grades. Everybody seems to be jumping on the Ram trucks. So I asked some question as to why. The one I was most interested in was the 38K GCVW that Ram advertises. I did find that that GCVW was for a regular cab,S/B, DRW. One of our members (to remain nameless) gave me the specs on his new Ram truck. My truck and his truck...same stuff... truck to truck, his Ram has a lower GCVW than mine and has 4:10 gears. The Duramax/Allison is great combo. The exhaust brake works great. Truck rides great for a 1tn DRW. I park where I can park a car. Enough said and the Ram owners will be all over me. BTW, the 2015 Chevy/GMC 3500 HD was truck of the year.

Bones

I love my GMC C/C L/B DRW 4WD. I looked a 2016 GMC 2 days ago. Lots of interior up grades. Everybody seems to be jumping on the Ram trucks. So I asked some question as to why. The one I was most interested in was the 38K GCVW that Ram advertises. I did find that that GCVW was for a regular cab,S/B, DRW. One of our members (to remain nameless) gave me the specs on his new Ram truck. My truck and his truck...same stuff... truck to truck, his Ram has a lower GCVW than mine and has 4:10 gears. The Duramax/Allison is great combo. The exhaust brake works great. Truck rides great for a 1tn DRW. I park where I can park a car. Enough said and the Ram owners will be all over me. BTW, the 2015 Chevy/GMC 3500 HD was truck of the year.
Hey look at what I found. I'm the last line. Maybe that is where they are getting the totals

View attachment 2015_ram_3500_towing_charts.pdf

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Bones, the images won't enlarge.

Click on the image just under the text line and not the one in the blue balloon . . . that will download a file that you'll have to open.

That will get you the full size chart.

RoadJunkie

Hummm, I forgot the question. Oh yeah, I just went from a 2009 F250 FX4 crew cab, air bags, to a 2015 F 350, same configuration minus air bags. I also could not imagine driving a dually, beyond towing, that is. The biggest difference for me was the quiet engine noise and increased torque of the new Ford. I put in a new OEM B & W hitch onto the 5th wheel prep configuration mounts. I think the hitch helped with a more solid feel on starts and stops. I just spent a lot of money and don't really feel any safer than with my previous configuration. The new truck is just more plush, quieter, more torque, and now I have to wax it.

Roller4tan

As you can see by my sig, I have the GMC version 3500 crewcab, SRW and 8' box. Man that's a long truck. I got used to it and just allow extra room manuevering when not towing. It pulls my 3010re great, even over the continental divide on I90. Latest trip average 10.8 mpg towing.

Garypowell

I can now answer my own question. Picked up the new Silverado 3500 (diesel, crew cab, short box, SRW, 4WD, LTZ) on Wednesday. I did not want the 4 wheel drive but I knew I could not find what I wanted without it. Great dealership in Hudson, FL. Fairly small family owned. Spoke with the owner for 20 minutes during the process.

It seems to me that prices are more controlled than they were in 2008 when I purchased the 2008.....but what do I know. They beat every one's price by $5,000. The basic price for the new truck was always the same....what they did was give me $15,000 for my 2008 2500 while everyone else was in the $10,000 range. It was all contingent on them seeing my old truck....but once they saw it and it being well cared for even with $173,000 miles we did the deal. Bottom line the price came in at $40K. Oh they did add a $600 dealer fee....but past that there is always taxes....and that is not their fault.

What a difference in the ride! You still know you are hitting a bump but with the 2008 it was always a jolt....even from day one. This 3500 knows a bump is there but it seems to glide over it. VERY NICE!

Coming home I was getting 22 MPG which is great (IMHO) for a non broke in 4 wheel drive truck. I was lucky to get 22 in my 2008....and that was tuned. Still driving slow....it took us 3+ hours to get back to Melbourne from Hudson coming across state.

Put the Line-X in yesterday and the Truxedo top is coming tomorrow.

The truck is White.....the old one was black.....the white stands out and you can see all of the lines.....love the look.

I always appreciate the feedback and help I get online....and always appreciate when those I help write back to let us know how the outcome was.

It was a sweet outcome! Not pulling until next year but we have a 3 weeks trip leaving Monday.....looking forward to enjoying the ride.

Kbvols

Re: RESOLVED Input on moving from 2500 to 3500

Awesome! I knew you wouldn't regret! Wait till you tow with it you will really be happy! Congrats!

GOTTOYS

Congratulations! I went from a 2500 Ram to my 3500 DRW Chev. I really like it. Quieter, more power, smoother transmission, better mileage even though it's way more truck...Don