Any reviews of the North Trail 24 BHS

NYcampguy

Went to the 2015 Hershey RV show and by my surprise my wife and I really liked the North Trail 24 BHS. After doing months of research on Jayco Coachman and Rockwood we stumbled upon the Heartland but I didn't make a purchase because I wasn't up on the Heartland TT's. I have read some horror stories about every manufacturer however I was really hoping to get some real life experiences with this exact unit. We are going to attend the Atlantic City RV show as well. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Thank you

jimtoo

Re: Reviews of the North Trail 24 BHS

Hi NYcampguy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The North Trail has been one of the most popular of the TT lines. We have lots of folks using them,,,even my daughter and SIL. Believe me,, for him to buy one and has had it about 2 years now,, no problems,, well maybe a few adjustments,, but nothing bad. For him to have one... it is a good unit.

You will get more from our other members I'm sure.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

'Lil Guy'

Can't help you with the exact unit but the NT21FBS we had for a short while was solid as a rock. Just too small in the long run. Good luck and I'm sure others will chime in.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired

Can't give you details on your model, but we owned 2 North Trails from late 2007 - 2014. Great trailers. Towed solid.
I could not believe the number of North Trail models that were at the Hershey show. Beautiful trailers.

Good luck with your search.

NYcampguy

Thanks for the replies. My concern is that I've seen numerous complaints about how these trailers tow? Also the ground height issue. After doing many many months of researching its time for me make a choice. Jayco seems to have the best overall reviews but as I mentioned the NT really caught my eye at Hershey. It seems there is minimal reviews however . What amazes me is the lack of quality control of these trailers when they are assembled. It's a shame in my opinion. Seems like some are held together with bubble gum. Amy more real life experiences would be great. Thanks again

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

I am on my 2nd North trail both much larger than the 24BHS. Towing mine have been fine, if the weight distributing hitch is properly adjusted. I use an equal-I-zer hitch that has both weight distribution and anti-sway properties. I (easily) learned how to properly adjust the hitch so that it tows well. Most of the time I can barely tell the North trail is attached and as for sway. I rarely notice sway, neither from strong crosswinds or passing semis.

d_fergie

No problems at all pulling my 22FBS, the 24 BHS looks to be a little heavier but seems to be built on the same chassis...

NYcampguy

Ok very good. Most of you are happy with the over all product? I do realize that anything you purchase may have small minor issues and I'm fine with that but after I've read some complete horror stories about TTs it really opens your eyes. On various manufacturers you hear stories about taking camper off show room floor and literally the next day the trailer had a bad leak from the roof, slides did retract or one instance said the slide was incorrectly cut and that's why they had issues extending it out. One poor guy owned a Keystone and he said after purchasing it new the side wall literally came off as he was going down the road. It's stories like this that make he hesitant. Grant it I'm sure many / most don't have any major issues but it's an eye opener. Believe me I'm not paranoid but looking to spend my $ wisely but I guess you can have issues with ANY brand. One for thing regarding the NT? Does the trailer sit lower than most others? I've read this twice and wanted to confirm. Thank you

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Every North Trail I've ever seen has been pretty high!

Not sure where the low trailer warning is coming from.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We loved our 2008 21FBS. We had towing trouble initially, because our tow vehicle's wheelbase was too short. Once we upgraded to a Truck that had more than adequate tow capacity and wheelbase length, you didn't even know you were towing.

Salespeople just want to sell, so I wouldn't be surprised if people get led to believe their tow vehicle can handle a trailer when it really can't.

Be sure and do the research yourself, don't trust the auto dealer or RV dealer. Www.fifthwheelst.com has great safe towing info, including bumper pull info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_fergie

Ground clearance is one of the things that sold me on mine, I do mostly 2 rut road, way off the beaten track camping with mine, haven't bottomed out afaik yet...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

We loved our 2008 21FBS. We had towing trouble initially, because our tow vehicle's wheelbase was too short. Once we upgraded to a Truck that had more than adequate tow capacity and wheelbase length, you didn't even know you were towing.

Salespeople just want to sell, so I wouldn't be surprised if people get led to believe their tow vehicle can handle a trailer when it really can't.

I can't believe how many vehicles I see every day pulling trailers that they shouldn't.

Last month while on a week long camping trip to Blue Mesa, Colorado, I saw more 150/1500's pulling bigger 5th-wheel trailers than ours . . . including the guy right next door to us at the campground.

I just hope I am way behind them when they find themselves in a bind . . .

We purchased the 24BHS in August, and we love it!! The bunks are rather tight for adults, but the kids have no problems.
So far we have only towed 50-60 miles from home on the interstate and have no issues towing it with Dodge 1500
All of the amenities work as expected.

jimtoo

Hi Camper319r,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

We love our NT! It has held up to everything we have done with it from one lane rutted mountain roads to 4 wheeling through beach sand to a 3500 mile round trip to the coast. Have we had issues? Yes three. The stereo went out, the adjustment pin on the awning broke, and we had a water connection come loose on the hot water tank. Heartland fixed the first two without hesitation, and the water leak I caught because the pump kept cycling in short bursts. Are you going to have issues with whatever you buy? Yes. How it is taken care afterward should be your concern. There is a reason people here, including me, buy a second and third Heartland product. One of the main reasons for us is what happens after there is a repair issue. If you listen to those people who are posting about the bad things only, you will save some money because you will never buy an RV. Good luck in your decision.

dl_camps

Hi there, We own the 21FBS and are very happy with our purchase. Like you, we thought long and hard about our purchase. It is an investment and we work hard for our money. But we did decide on our Heartland North Trail. We had a few concerns about the pipe in the back being kind of close to the ground, but have never had a problem. My husband says the towing is great and hardly feels like he towing a TT. The only thing we've had to do is replace the kitchen faucet which we did ourselves with one we bought at Lowes, and it works great. Many people write about the complaints they have, which is ok, but you hardly read about the good stuff. So that being said, we are very happy with our NT. Good luck with your decision. :)