Gateway RK slide issues

GrandmaD

Hi,

I am new to the Heartland family. My husband and I purchased what we thought would be our ideal camper. Although we still really like our Gateway (and cannot afford to change to another fifth wheel), we have had some issues since we took it out on the road last May. The kitchen sink had a steady leak once the water was turned on (despite faucet being turned off), the latches on the shower doors and closet doors broke, the bathroom faucet leaks, the spare tire holder which is welded on has nearly broken off (so we need to put the tire in the back of our truck), the table is discolored, and the issue that bothers me the most is the large slide with refrigerator, counter, and sofa. At least once one of the drawers has popped open while travelling. Not realizing that the drawer had popped open, my husband opened the slide to the sound of wood breaking. He discovered the problem and got the drawer closed but not without considerable damage to the wood frame that the refrigerator sits in. Additionally, when the counter slides out there is a black gooey mark that is difficult to remove. This happens every time. I just now noticed that since we put the slide out yesterday, there is a black mark on the floor where the slide stops (when put in). There is also a little bit of sawdust on the floor everytime we put this slide out.

Kitchen faucet, bathroom faucet, table, and door latches will all be fixed by dealership. I haven't mentioned the slide issue to them yet nor the spare tire holder (we just noticed this last evening). I am wondering if anyone else with a rear kitchen or long kitchen/counter/sofa slide has had any issues with the slide and the drawer popping open? Or leaving marks on the countertop and/or floor? I can't help but think that this is some sort of manufacturing defect.

Our dealer told us that we have to get our camper fixed only at a qualified Heartland dealer which for us is nearly 200 miles away. Any advice, thoughts, or similar experiences? Thanks so much!

Grandma D

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, you are not alone in the drawer or cabinet door open when moving the slide out club.
Leaks are pretty common in RV's. I make checking the fittings part of my regular inspection of my rig. I'm not clear as to whether your leaks are from the faucet or below on the fittings.
There is a black rubber wipe on the slide over your counter top that is there to seal out some cold. You might try cleaning with a paste wax. It will help remove the streak and help prevent future marking.
You can have your coach repaired almost anywhere with prior approval from Heartland. Might not be a need to travel 200 miles.
Since you have mentioned a rear kitchen, you might think about taking extra measures to keep the doors and drawers closed while traveling. It is my understanding from talking to those that have a rear kitchen that things get bounced around pretty good back there.
Come back and let us know how you make out.

Peace
Dave

Crumgater

I always double check that the slide space is clear on both sides before hitting the 'extend' button - in our living room slide, we have windows, so I can reach through the window to close or move anything that's in the way out to safety.

The rest.... cookie had some good suggestion...
I'd definitely talk to Heartland direct (have VIN# handy before you call) and see if they can find you a closer service center.

GrandmaD

Thanks for the advice. Paste wax is a great idea. We do make sure that all drawers and cupboards are tightly closed; just didn't realize that they would pop out en route. We're still kind of newbies, I guess. We woke up this morning to all kinds of water under the sink which had overflowed onto the carpet next to the table. Seems we now have another leak--this time in the connectors in the faucet--or so my husband thinks. He tightened them up and this seemed to help. Just made an appt to get this rig into the dealership the middle of October. We are newly 'retired' so are hoping to take it to AZ. this winter (close to the Tuscon/Green Valley area). Any suggestions? This is our first year not teaching and we are looking forward to being snowbirds for six weeks (live in ND) in January/February. Any suggestions about pulling a rig during the winter months would certainly be helpful.

Do most of you winterize yourself or do you take it to a certified Heartland dealer? We will need to winterize later this fall before freezeup occurs (which in ND can happen pretty fast).

Thanks! I realize now that I posted in the wrong section but glad some of you found me anyway

Mike, Michelle, and chihuahuas (Max and Marieka)--the 4 M's