Baking in our rv

We have a 2016 sundance with a wedge wood vision stove/oven. I'm having problems getting things cooked right. Usually they are burnt on bottom and just right on top. Put a separate thermometer in the oven to monitor actual temp but still having issues any suggestions welcome especially with the holidays approaching. Thank you, Mickey

jimtoo

Hi Mickey,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We or wife does not bake in the oven, but a lot of folks do. I have heard that some put one of the heat dissipating stone slabs in the oven to help make the temperature more even. I'm sure some will jump in and give better info.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We put a Pampered Chef Stone Cookie Sheet on the bottom of the stove and it has solved all the problems associated with the RV ovens.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We use ours quite often. It runs a few degrees on the cool side vs the knob setting.
I have two 1" thick hearth bricks in the oven on the shelf above the burner. I also make sure the oven has fully preheated before I begin baking.
Definitely not our gas oven at home but its adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

I use a pizza stone in ours and bring the oven to temp before putting anything in. Remember to take into account the altitude when you bake. Never crossed my mind when I tried to bake a cake in Reno, NV.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
We also bought a pizza stone and placed it in the oven. We camp a lot around Lake Tahoe and it works great, no more burnt bottoms. DW makes an awesome cobbler.

Thanks so much! I do have pampered chef stones as I was very avid baker at home. Being full timers and new I'm learning as I go! Loving it thanks again!

Gaffer

Pizza stone is a good idea. Also ceramic tile will work just make sure it is not glazed.

Ks.Kev

So, do you place the stone inside directly on the bottom of the oven?
And how much should it cover the bottom of the oven, all of it or just whatever stone i get that will fit in there will do?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Here's our setup...
63d11d5c03d2aa121b2b7b0a9fadefb9.jpg

dbbls59

Airbake pans will solve the problem. These have a double bottom and this prevents the burning. They are available at Bed Bath and Beyond, among other places.

lynndiwagoner

We rarely use ours, instead we invested in a Breville "toaster oven." For two people it is perfect and does a wonderful job. In fact, we bought another one for the house because it works so well. They're not your typical little toaster oven and that is reflected in the price. Of course, you must have electricity for them to work. This does not answer your question directly, only an alternative you might investigate.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
We place our pizza stone directly on top of the wire rack. Have about 1/2" clearance on all sides inside the oven.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
My DW was told to use an ordinary 12 x 12 ceramic floor tile. It's cheap and works very well. She places it on the center shelf with what she is cooking on the tile.

Bohemian

We use a pizza stone as big as will fit the bottom and as thick as possible. Even modern home ovens don't do very good at stabile even heat.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I go to Lowe's and buy a 12x12 inch ceramic tile, set it on the rack, been using them for years. I place the rack on the second rack slot and I also have a oven Thermometer also hanging on the shelf. I bake everything, I love my oven in our coach..

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't help but laugh, every time I see this thread title, my first thought is that the AC has gone out in someone's rig!! In Texas, if your AC goes out, you will be "Baking in your RV".