Our maiden voyage

CGibson

Well we had our maiden voyage this weekend to an RV park about an hour away. Everything went great and no major problems. The only problems we had was that our fridge worked great on propane but not on electric. Exploration outside, we found that the fridge wasn't plugged in. Then we didn't know about the power switch on the water heater, once we turned that on it worked great. :D

That and the darn (not exactly the word I used) :eek: bedroom slide sure taught me a lesson to watch out standing up after getting something out of the basement on that side. :mad: We had bought the foam pipe insulation to cut and put on there while parked but didn't get around to it. I did that as soon as I could see straight again and on the next trip that will be one of the first things I do. :eek:

All in all the trip was a great success and we have decided that hitching and pulling a 5er is so much nicer than hitching up our previous travel trailer with the weight distribution hitch and sway control.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It seems like you had everything under control on your first trip , glad to see everything was minor. I had to chuckle about hitting the slide and was glad I wasn't the only one that has had a mind lapse ...forgetting that huge thing was there.:) We also went from a TT to a 5er and like you would never go back ,easier to hook n unhook and pulls better. Happy adventures ....Ken

Been there also.

I did the same thing on our maiden voyage with new BC. Head is still aching from deep scratch. Have purchased pipe insulation for corners. How do we keep it from coming off if wind blows hard while at campsite? Seen this used but not sure how to attach.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Gibson, don't feel bad about the head. I did it twice in one day and with no hair to cushion the impact it took about 2 weeks to heal the the spots. Needless to say, the next trip to town was for the pipe insulation. Have fun and enjoy the new 5er.

Bill

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Glad to hear your maiden voyage went well. Now you are a true fiver. I cant count the number of times I have hit my head. The foam noodles are a must. Every year once I have hit my head I say Camping season is here! LOL I guess that explains why my brain works like it does!
Regards
Wayne

truknutt

Committed Member
:mad: We had bought the foam pipe insulation to cut and put on there while parked but didn't get around to it. I did that as soon as I could see straight again and on the next trip that will be one of the first things I do. :eek:

I went to the local Dollar store and found brightly colored "Swim Noodles" so I wouldn't rap my noodle! My problem is that I am always looking down for trip hazards while the all-knowing DW says it's 'cause I'm conditioned to be on the lookout for coins! Gotta pay for that diesel somehow!

Anyway, I was able to get away with 2 noodles on the bedroom slide; trimmed about a 16" end off each to run up each side. We haven't been out in any heavy winds so we'll have to see how that goes. Maybe a dab of some of that tacky putty on the inside would hold them on temporarily.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I used the Swim Noodles just cut to length and then sliced them and they have never come off even in the Texas Winds this past winter.
Regards
Wayne

CGibson

We thought about the swim noodles as they are bigger but noone has them up here yet. It seemed like the pipe insulation will work fine. I am not sure about the wind but I do have some earthquake putty that I can try if they come off.

5catfam

I have been using swim noodles and The only problem I have is to remembing to remove them when I close the slides. My head likes them.:eek: