Truck brakes

Mrsfish

We have a 2013 Ford F-350 srw that we use to tow our 3010re. we have 40k miles of which 20k of that is towing. We definitely tow a lot in big grades. Now that I've set the table- here's the question. We were told today by the dealer that our front brakes are at 50%. Would you consider this normal or excessive wear?
looking for opinions... Please and thank you

Lou_and_Bette

50% on front brakes after 40k? I consider that normal. I believe the "rule of thumb" is two sets of fronts to one set of rears.

Miltp920

Not to hyjack the thread, but I just had my brakes inspected along with my oil & Fuel filter change. They said I am at 50% to 60%. At what wear % would you suggest it is time to replace brakes? I am pulling at my trucks maximum capacity. I will keep up on the trailer brakes as well. My 5er is just 2 years on the road. I am thinking 25%? Brakes are important.

avvidclif

We have a 2013 Ford F-350 srw that we use to tow our 3010re. we have 40k miles of which 20k of that is towing. We definitely tow a lot in big grades. Now that I've set the table- here's the question. We were told today by the dealer that our front brakes are at 50%. Would you consider this normal or excessive wear?
looking for opinions... Please and thank you

Get a second opinion you trust. On my GMC the dealer told me the front brakes were almost gone at 60k (very little towing) so I replaced them myself. They still had over 80%.

Moral of the story: Don't trust a dealer.

MTPockets

46,000 on our 2013. Plenty of pad left. I wouldn't worry about it. They will start to sound a squeal when they get down to the wear button. They'll still have miles on them, but will allow a reasonable period of time to schedule a brake job.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Just as a comparison, my 2011 Ram had 113,000 miles when I sold it and the brakes were like new according to the dealer. My 2004 Ram had 187,000 miles and the original brakes when I sold it. I am guessing the Ram exhaust brake makes a big difference in brake wear where as Ford does not have that option.

I might add, I am rural and very little town driving!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My previous truck, a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, had 164,000 miles on it when I sold it a year ago . . .

I had replaced the front brake pads three times over the years . . . the rear brake pads just once . . . about 1000 before I sold it!

I loved that truck . . . my most favorite vehicle I've ever owned and the longest I've ever owned a vehicle!

It is now the nicest looking 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 in Rochester, New York!

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg Camper10767.jpg TruckCamperGlewoodSprings-P1050162.jpg Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg 4wheelin-IMGP3201.jpg 4wheelinSig-IMGP3116.jpg TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

dbbls59

On all of my other vehicles the front brakes went first but on my F350 I have already replaced the rear brakes. Did this at about 45k.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
On all of my other vehicles the front brakes went first but on my F350 I have already replaced the rear brakes. Did this at about 45k.

Recently replaced my F350's rear pads (DIY job) at 59K, probably half those miles towing, based on the truck's last "The Works" dealer service/inspection that indicated they were in the "keep an eye on them" stage. My PA state inspection was due and we were planning our current trip so I bought new pads before I pulled a wheel. Still had miles to go but I notice I have a fuller/stiffer pedal when braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Brakes pads wear is subject to several factors.

1. The quality of the pad
2. How heavy your foot is on the brake pedal
3. How heavy your load is

Someone in my family brakes hard on almost every stop and has to change pads about every 25000 to 30000 miles. When I traded my last truck I still had about 80 percent on the original pads. If you wait to the last minute to brake you will wear out your pads more quickly. If you hit the ABS most times you brake you are braking too hard and waiting till the last minute to brake. So to answer the OP question I would say it all depends on how you brake.

travelin2

They will start to sound a squeal when they get down to the wear button. They'll still have miles on them, but will allow a reasonable period of time to schedule a brake job.

I used to wait until then on my daily driver car to change pads but I was only stopping <3000# of car. Personally I wouldn't wait that long when I'm sitting on 24-30,000# and that "Oh %#*¥" moment arises and I'm standing on the brake pedal with both feet.
Of course, DIY for $70 (VG ceramic pads) vs what a dealer charges might be a consideration.

Last edited:

scottyb

I had to replace front pads at 58K (12K TOWING) on my F350 DRW. It was a 2013 and the exhaust brake function was non-existent. I think those of you with the 2015 Fords or later should do much better with the new exhaust braking system. I have seen an "independent test" that showed Ford's new system worked even better than the Ram or Chevy. That will take a lot of wear off the brakes for sure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had to replace front pads at 58K (12K TOWING) on my F350 DRW. It was a 2013 and the exhaust brake function was non-existent. I think those of you with the 2015 Fords or later should do much better with the new exhaust braking system. I have seen an "independent test" that showed Ford's new system worked even better than the Ram or Chevy. That will take a lot of wear off the brakes for sure.

Not sure what you are trying to say here . . .

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Just did rears at 59K and had rotors replaced also. Job done by tire shop and cost $500. Parts for me to do was $ in excess of $350 and had to remove axel spindle to remove rotors so I opted for a pro to do. Well worth it in my book.

travelin2

Just did rears at 59K and had rotors replaced also. Job done by tire shop and cost $500. Parts for me to do was $ in excess of $350 and had to remove axel spindle to remove rotors so I opted for a pro to do. Well worth it in my book.

Were the rotors warped or worn that thin that you replaced them at 59K? Was that for all 4 rotors? I don't recall ever replacing rear rotors on any vehicle I've owned. Fronts...yes, especially GM products!!

beck-mark

Just sold my 2001 F250 super duty diesel with 135,000 mi on it. still had original brakes and plenty of life left in them. I think driving style has more to do with brake wear than anything else.

scottyb

Just sold my 2001 F250 super duty diesel with 135,000 mi on it. still had original brakes and plenty of life left in them. I think driving style has more to do with brake wear than anything else.

Could be but I sold my 07 Chevy with 186K and it still had the original brakes. Of course it never pulled anything until after it already had 175K mi, when I bought the Cyclone.